Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Side trawler info an details.  (Read 5502 times)

RobinStobbs

• Shipmate
    • stobbsfamily1
Side trawler info an details.
« on: May 22, 2012, 07:09:50 am »

I have been asked to make a model of the South African Irvin and Johnson side trawler "Nerine" for a small coelacanth museum display. I've located some GA drawings held by the Aberdeen Maritime Museum but these don't show gear details or rigging (Actually the drawings are for one of her identical sister ships, "Arum").  I know lots about tugs but nothing about trawlers and hope that somebody can come to my rescue here!

The sort of details I'm looking for are the layout and function of the trawl gear with gallows details and mast rigging - the only pic I have shows some sort of large 'things' on what appears to be the foremast stays and which I presume are some sort of shock absorbers in the trawl line??

As an historical note - the "Nerine" was built by Hall Russell of Aberdeen on 1925 and was the trawler from which the first living coelacanth known-to-science was caught in 1938 near East London.  During the war she was converted to a minesweeper trawler and served as HMSAS Nerine until 1944 when she returned to her owners.  It was during this time she achieved her second claim to fame as one of the ships sent to attempt rescxue of passengers and crew from the ill-fated 'Dunedin Star" which ran aground on the Namibian 'Skeleton Coast' in 1942.

So, if some kind soul can point me to where I can obtain gear and rigging details for an early 20th Century side trawler I'd be eternally grateful.

Regards,
Robin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Side trawler info an details.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 07:40:02 am »

Ask Trawlerman on this site...he's new onboard but he has a wealth of info at his fingertips, and makes some beautiful models....he's a mate of mine and if he (as he's b***** useless on the computer) can't scan the info for you, I'll do it and put it on here for you and others to see.
neil.
I'll email him about your request.
neil.

RobinStobbs

• Shipmate
    • stobbsfamily1
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 08:46:11 am »

Many thanks Neil.  Anything that will help me understand the workings of a side trawler will help and be much appreciated.
Robin

trawlerman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 11:54:41 am »

hi  robin...neil got in touch about side trawler info....i will photograph the rigging etc and get him to scan them for me, as he said i,m new to the computer and clueless......any information you need just ask i will be pleased to help.......all the best trawlerman :-)) :-)) {-)
trawlerman

trawlerman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 12:55:43 pm »

hi robin.......another site you can try is.....http://www.fleetwood-fishing-industry.co.uk .......  trawlerman
trawlerman

RobinStobbs

• Shipmate
    • stobbsfamily1
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 02:24:30 pm »

Hi 'trawlerman'.
Very many thanks for all this.  I'm clueless about the workings of trawlers!  Just looking at the very unclear pic I have of the (side) trawler I've been asked to make two thinks have me baffled: 1) The cable runs from Gallows sheaves to drum winch, and 2) the curious large device in the foremast stays which I suspect may be some sort of shock absorber for the trawl cables.  The only GA drawings I have found which relate to this ship made by Hall Russell in 1925 are here at http://www.aberdeenships.com/image.asp?Id=101833&Size=Giant
I anxiously await the scans of your pics.
Regards - Robin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 06:28:27 pm »

Hi, Trawlerman  has just brought these round and downloaded for you.....hope they are ok, but if you need more we can come up with some from an old 1900 c side trawler for you.
neil.

RobinStobbs

• Shipmate
    • stobbsfamily1
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 06:32:10 am »

Many thanks Neil and 'trawlerman'.  Very informative pics which I will look at in detail later today.  The rigging feature that has me puzzled can be seen in this pic (lifted from the Internet!).  What is it, how is it rigged and what is its function?
Robin

trawlerman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 07:55:38 am »

hi robin.......glad to be of help .........the thing you probably mean in the picture is a dan bouy which is retreived after a trawl and stowed as shown.........trawlerman
trawlerman

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 09:33:26 am »

gawd your up early rod.......
do you mean the Dann bouy strapped to the ratlines Robbin.they were used to mark pick up and drop points in certain respects when shooting anf hauling the nets, where other trawlers were also fishing the grounds....more like a marker bouy.........but definately not part of the rigging.
see here on this shot of a trawler I built years ago.you can see them on orange/red fore and aft. neil.

RobinStobbs

• Shipmate
    • stobbsfamily1
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 03:46:13 pm »

Aha!  So THAT's what they are.  :embarrassed:
Explains why they appear in some pics and not others - told you I knew nothing about trawlers  :embarrassed:Many thanks again,
Robin

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 08:57:07 am »

RobinStobbs

• Shipmate
    • stobbsfamily1
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 03:17:39 pm »

Very many thanks Barry. Your pics have sorted out a number of finer details for me - nice model.  Very sad about your models - one doesn't associate this behaviour from a civilised country - good that you eventually retrieved the trawler even though in such damaged condition.  If anyone stole my model of the SAR&H tug "CF Kayser" I think I'd go out and buy myself an AK-47!  ;)

On a different tack - I think I can claim to be the only boat modeller in the world who had one of his models 'blown up' by the IRA!  This paragraph from a letter from my Brother (the models of Ruth - and Hallam Venture were made for his shipping company, Bulk Charters). :

"The model involved in the IRA bomb blast was one of the Ruth Venture models, which I'd left with Chris Lewis when he had an office in the Baltic Exchange Annex. When he moved out he left the model there. It was not entirely demolished when the IRA detonated the bomb in St Mary Axe some time in the late eighties. **  Only parts of the superstructure were crushed when the ceiling collapsed and Chris eventually donated what remained to a ship model enthusiast who, I understand intended to try and rebuild it. The bomb fortunately went off in the late evening and the Baltic Exchange and the building opposite had to be condemned and the Exchange was never rebuilt. Great pity cos it was a magnificent building."

**  On 10 April 1992 at 9:20 pm, the façade of the Exchange's offices at 30 St. Mary Axe was partially demolished, and the rest of the building was extensively damaged in a Provisional Irish Republican Army bomb attack. The one-ton bomb was contained in a large white truck and consisted of a fertilizer device wrapped with a detonation cord made from 45 kg of 'semtex'. It killed three people: Paul Butt, 29, Baltic Exchange employee, Thomas Casey, 49, and 15-year old Danielle Carter. Another 91 people were injured. The bomb also caused damage to surrounding buildings, many of which were also badly damaged by the Bishopsgate bombing the following year. The bomb caused £800 million worth of damage, £200 million more than the total damage caused by the 10,000 explosions that had occurred during the troubles in Northern Ireland up to that point. (This thanks to Wikipedia!).
Robin

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 03:38:07 pm »

Aw shucks, Robin, I should be modestly accepting your thanks but that is not my model and the real owner (Mayhem's Grumpy Old Man and Ace Modeller Bryan Young  :P) would kill me if he thought I was taking credit for his efforts. You will find other superb models by Bryan (not Barry) in the Mayhem Master Class section.

Cheers,

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 07:04:09 pm »

Ha! Grumpy old men indeed. Although, on reflection, we probably are.
I now have 2 models of the same vessel......the first one (Bayflower) was built with a fair amount of info from the late Jimmy Cullen. An ex ch.engineer on these things. Her replacement (named as a tribute to Jimmy) is essentially "Bayflower"....but also using a lot of input from Davie Tait who almost succeeded in completing my sidewinder education.
I shall have (private) words with Barry-M later when I work out a suitable response. Enjoy your sidewinder build. BY.
PS. The hull made from my original mould is now available from "Clyde Models", and is wholly owned by them.
Notes from a simple seaman

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 08:11:28 pm »

Ooooh Matron!! The screens........ ;D :P :P <*<

Barry M

PS It was "man" not "men"....... :kiss:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.