Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anothercrewman from Down Under  (Read 1182 times)

sydney heads

• Shipmate
Anothercrewman from Down Under
« on: May 22, 2012, 12:31:35 pm »

Hi everyone.

After years of doddering around, envying many other peoples scratch and kitbuilds and wishing I could do the same, I was actually challenged at the age of 59, by a mate who asked was I going to die wondering or
actually try to build a model ship myself.
My Brother-in-law come home several years ago from a trip to Europe, and amongst his piccies was a photo of a beautiful little Norwegian coastal passenger ship, the MS Sandnes, currently preserved in the port of Stavanger.
With no plans to find, I found sixteen photos on the net, from which I made my own plans, and proceeded to commence doing something I really didn't believe that I had the ability to do. BUT, the passion was there, particularly
after some research indicated that her keel was actually laid on the very day that I was born! Well, I had to, didn't I.
Well to cut a long story short, a nearly completed 1-80 scale version of Sandnes was proudly displayed in the recent Sydney Model Boat Show, and I am hoping that in just a couple of weeks she will be in the water, and sailing.
I will post a photo with my next post.

On completion of Sandnes, a bigger project and challenge starts as I attempt a 1-110 Artesania kit of the Juan Sebastian deElcano.
Reckon there will be some questions coming then. And how many years??

Oldsmokey

• Shipmate
Re: Anothercrewman from Down Under
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:00:14 pm »

Hi sydney heads.
Welcome to the forum  :-)) very new here myself.
I like your build method. Scratch, draw your own plans, reference photographs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.