Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Switches  (Read 9945 times)

mfv1132

• Full Mayhemer
Switches
« on: April 12, 2007, 08:09:48 pm »

Anyone tell me where i can purchase a bank of 3/4 switches for my Tug?

FullLeatherJacket

Re: Switches
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 08:42:36 pm »

Probably, but can you give us a bit more info, please? What sort of switches do you need i.e. manually operated or radio-controlled? If the former, what currents are you switching? If the latter, same question about current plus how many channels have you available to operate them? Are they for lights or a sound effect or a smoke generator blah blah?
Sorry to sound like a techno-nerd but all of this stuff is important.
FLJ  ;)

OMK

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 01:07:25 am »

"Sorry to sound like a techno-nerd but all of this stuff is important.".

Don't apologise, dude. You're right - it is important. No disrespect towards MFV1132, but what the heck are people thinking when they ask such a question in such a terse way? I didn't see any offer of explanation, or specifications, no clue for what said switch was for ... no nothing. So imagine how it must feel if you were the proprietor of a model-supply shoppe, and a possible customer walks in and sez: "I need a switch. Give me a bank of 'em.". What do you do? It gives me the spooks, because I'd be thinking to meself: "Hmm... and I wonder if the same attitude applies to his lakeside etiquette? Or even his driving?"
Well, you, you're obviously more polite. And, if you were indeed the proprietor, it means you'd have to worry about making a living to pay the mortgage, keep the chap happy, give him what he think he wants and send him on his merry way.
Me, on the other hand, I'd be tempted to fob him/her off with an itsy-bitsy 2-Amp job, even when I KNOW he/she will be shoving 15-Amps up the sucker, just so that he/she would come back, hopefully with a bit more knowledge, and explain what it is he/she is trying to do. That surely would make the life of any proprietor miles easier. Mayhem members, too.
Did you read the one where I did a short stint in the chokey because I refused to cough-up for that poll-tax thing? In there one soon learns that if you don't ask, you simply don't get. Same rule applies in Freedom Street... if you don't ask the right questions, you can't really expect any help.

Just Rx'ed your PM, Dave Jacket.
Standby...

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 07:57:14 am »

Woah, PMK! You must have had a bad day! Give the guy a break - for all you know he's a newbie who needs a steer rather than a 12-bore stuck in his ear and both triggers pulled. All the points raised by FMJ are perfectly valid but do you know that mfv1132 is also aware of them? Innocent until proved guilty and, if nothing else, this forum is about mutual help and toleration. Going in with both feet is not going to encourage others to join and contribute.

Barry M

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 08:55:57 am »

Heh can we  lighten up a bit please.  Let's assume he is a really nice guy and has come to the forum to learn.

I bought a boat to restore some years ago and inside there was a tiny 1 amp switch in series with a 15 amp fuse!  I wonder which would have given up first!

I think back with horror at some of my early efforts and subsequently learnt at the feet of some really good modellers, not forgetting Model Boats magazine.
regards to all
Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 10:50:07 am »

Hi "mfv1132"

You seemed to have sirred up a hornets nest just by asking a simple question  :o
Goodnessknows why.... ::)

Anyway, lets see if we can help you....
What sort of Tug do you have?
How many Motors?
What battery type and voltage will it have?
What job will the switches do?

Martin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 11:42:31 am »

This may be what you need .if you need any help I have fitted a few  .Peter

http://www.electronize.co.uk/switchers.htm

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 08:26:30 pm »

hi - my wicked sense of humour has been at it again.  Can you imagine PMK as a shop assistant in an electrical shop.   Nice shy gent walks into shop - PMK behind counter says 'WHAT DO YOU WANT' shy customer replies 'I would like some switches please' - 'WHAT KIND DO YOU WANT WE HAVE THOUSANDS' - 'WE HAVE, HOUSE SWITCHES, WE HAVE SWITCHES WITH FUSES IN FOR THE HOUSE, WE HAVE OUTSIDE SWITCHES, WE HAVE SWITCHES FOR ELECTRIC MOTORS, WE HAVE SWITCHES FOR DOLLS HOUSES, WE HAVE MODELS SWITCHES, - SO COME ON MAN - WHAT DO YOU WANT?' little shy man lying on the floor terrified....'I dint really know'.

On the other hand, can you remember the Two Ronnies sketch about the fork-handles (four candles)
so...PMK ... take your abrupt shop overall off ... or you will end up reporting to Bradders in the lookout  ;D ;D ;D That is straight to jail without passing go and without collecting £200 my friend  ;D

mfv1132 you are allowed out of hiding now, we have tamed the lions and now ask your questions my friend.

aye
no doubt someone on the forum will be able to assist you

John e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

b1etzc92

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 10:35:24 pm »

"Sorry to sound like a techno-nerd but all of this stuff is important.".

Don't apologise, dude. You're right - it is important. No disrespect towards MFV1132, but what the heck are people thinking when they ask such a question in such a terse way? I didn't see any offer of explanation, or specifications, no clue for what said switch was for ... no nothing. So imagine how it must feel if you were the proprietor of a model-supply shoppe, and a possible customer walks in and sez: "I need a switch. Give me a bank of 'em.". What do you do? It gives me the spooks, because I'd be thinking to meself: "Hmm... and I wonder if the same attitude applies to his lakeside etiquette? Or even his driving?"
Well, you, you're obviously more polite. And, if you were indeed the proprietor, it means you'd have to worry about making a living to pay the mortgage, keep the chap happy, give him what he think he wants and send him on his merry way.
Me, on the other hand, I'd be tempted to fob him/her off with an itsy-bitsy 2-Amp job, even when I KNOW he/she will be shoving 15-Amps up the sucker, just so that he/she would come back, hopefully with a bit more knowledge, and explain what it is he/she is trying to do. That surely would make the life of any proprietor miles easier. Mayhem members, too.
Did you read the one where I did a short stint in the chokey because I refused to cough-up for that poll-tax thing? In there one soon learns that if you don't ask, you simply don't get. Same rule applies in Freedom Street... if you don't ask the right questions, you can't really expect any help.

Just Rx'ed your PM, Dave Jacket.
Standby...

RUDE, RUDE, RUDE.
I thought this forum was to give help. Yes, the info provided was very, very sparse but did not deserve that kind of rant.
Wes
Toronto, Canada

OMK

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 10:45:37 pm »

See what I mean? All five replies after my previous missive, they all say the same as I said already - only in a more roundabout way. It all comes down to manners. Geez, how many times have the same questions been asked over and over on the pages of this forum? The whole point of this caper is that we all help each other - without reservation. But, to me at least, it smacks of rudeness when someone comes along - especially the new recruits - and start chucking up the same old questions. Rude because, 1) even the very basic of manners learnt from childhood seem to have gone by the wayside, because what's wrong with spending a little time getting accquainted with the forum first? If they cared to read the previous postings then they would most definately find the answers to their questions AND get to learn a little about fellow members, to boot. And 2), anyone with a modicum of savvy in their bonce would surely appreciate the time and effort in running such a forum. The very fact that The Mighty Admin himself is doing a grand job has been mentioned time and time again -- which is, of course, dead true. Yet, it seems all that hard work and effort is being taken for granted. It's akin to getting slapped in the kisser: "Screw you, mate. I can't be assed with reading all them back-post in your forum... just let me at the the goodies!". . Everyone wants to get to the top of the ladder, yet no-one wants to start from the bottom rung.
Nope - I wasn't trying to rubbish ol' MVF1132. I'm the sort of bloke who could share many an hour discussing all apsects of the hobby over a few beers. Will glady share all what I've come to learn over the years with ANYBODY. But c'mon already... how many will have the balls to admit that asking the sort of inane questions, and the sort of questions that should have been learnt BEFORE even considering gettting into the hobby is just downright ignorant?
As Bluebird says, if I WAS behind the shop counter I'd probably go broke within a week. I'd probably end up giving the stock away to anyone who seems deserving. But if some wag comes in asking for switches or suchlike, but without any clue of what that someone is trying to do, then I'm going to start thinking: "Hmm... Potential pond menace.".
You get the picture.

I got me no desire to sound holier-than-thou, but you might have noticed that I rarely ask questions here. Don't need to, for if one cares to get off one's butt and take a look, then everything you need to know can already be found within.

"Four candles, Sir? Certainly.  Grab a couple ESC's while you're at it. Here... take this super-swanky transmitter too. On the house.".

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 10:53:11 pm »

I think it's a question of make or break myself....

OMK

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 11:35:39 pm »

Damn!... I wish I thought of that!

Cento, did you read what that chap from Toronto said? He's right - I did go over the top with this rant.
By way of an apology, would you be happy if I were to build you three or four switchers?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 11:47:23 pm »

I was quite upset too, can I have one?

Martin ::)

PS. Mayhem updated this evening - 392 pictures of  London Model Engineering Exhibition in  January.
     http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

omra85

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 11:52:45 pm »

Proops Bros who appear at most shows seem to have a goodly selection of switches. Often ones that work ;D
Then there's always B & Q ::)
And Colin, don't take failure so hard!  We know you try your best with your models but saying it's a question of "make" or "break myself" is taking it a bit too seriously ;D
Danny

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 12:02:55 am »

Comes naturally. I make it - it breaks.... ;D

b1etzc92

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 12:49:03 am »

Damn!... I wish I thought of that!

Cento, did you read what that chap from Toronto said? He's right - I did go over the top with this rant.
By way of an apology, would you be happy if I were to build you three or four switchers?

You know, I left most of the U.S. & Canadian sites because of nonsense like this. All the British sites always seemed to be calm, cool and helpful to ANYONE who asked. To call a person or person's LAZY because of not reading the thousands of postings on the site is ludicrous. I'm sure that when you started out in this hobby, you had many questions too. I have been building models for over 25 years, and, unlike you, I still don't know everything. It's nice to know there is someone in the hobby  that knows everything but is too pig headed to help someone else without insulting them SHAME.
Det.Lt. W. Trimble
Chief of Detectives
Homicide Division.
Toronto Police Sevice.

banjo

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 02:45:26 am »

:)

I didn't realise Canadians were so sensitive.... :)

b1etzc92

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 03:14:41 am »

:)

I didn't realise Canadians were so sensitive.... :)

We're not. Just reasonable.
Wes

OMK

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 07:53:25 am »

To call a person or person's LAZY because of not reading the thousands of postings on the site is ludicrous. I'm sure that when you started out in this hobby, you had many questions too

Mr. Detective, Sir, with all due respect, did you not detect my way of trying to amend matters by offering to build Cento his needed switches? There was no mention of the word 'lazy'. The emphasis was on ignorance. When new recruits, such as yourself, start throwing their weight around and misreading what is being said, then we Limeys tend to ask ourselves how a person with letters after his name could attain such a high status -- especially when his detecting skills are not up to par.
You will please forgive me, but we have Sherlock Holmes. Ergo, our powers of deduction and detecting skills are infinitely superior. For instance, we detected that you have used an apostrophe between the 'n' and 's' in your spelling of "person's", when there shouldn't be. (Not to mention your omission of a hyphen between 'pig' and 'headed').
But just for the record, one does not need to trawl through "thousands of postings on this site" (your words). One merely narrows one's search to the particular group of threads of interest. In this case, Cento only had to look through a dozen or so postings in the Electrics & Electronics pages in order to find what he was looking for.

We hope you enjoy your visit. And welcome to the English way.

PMK.
Chief of Non-Politically-Correct Brigade.
Acting for and on behalf of King and Country.
Somerset,
Great Britain.

OMK

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 08:07:22 am »

I was quite upset too, can I have one?

Martin ::)

Sure.
What specifications? Relay output, or MOSFET? Latching, or non-latching? Amperage rating?........

Model Boats Website

• www.model-boats.com
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats Website
    • Model Boats Website
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 08:31:02 am »

Anyone tell me where i can purchase a bank of 3/4 switches for my Tug?

Just going back to the original question, I presume when you say 3/4 switches you mean 3-pole 4-way?

These can be purchased at Maplin in the form of a rotary switch see the link below, if you want it radio controlled it will be more complicated but I'm sure PMK will think something up. You could on the other hand link it up to a servo. ;D

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2417&criteria=rotary%20switch&doy=14m4

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 08:52:27 am »

Memo to self. Never, never go to Somerset unless you want terminal overstress of the aural cavities.

Memo to PMK - remember the 1st Rule of Holes.

Barry M

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 08:55:32 am »

We hope you enjoy your visit. And welcome to the English way.

Not my way.
I'm English. ::)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

OMK

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 09:07:58 am »

Just going back to the original question, I presume when you say 3/4 switches you mean 3-pole 4-way?

I too got thrown by that.
3/4 could mean three-quarters. But I think he means three OR four switcher units.

OMK

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 09:19:21 am »

Memo to PMK - remember the 1st Rule of Holes.

Aw mate, I do, I do. But living around this dump of a county is enough to make even the most saintliest of folk cynical.
Is that how I come across? Rude?... cynical? Don't mean to. I still stand by what I say, but I just wish I had the noodle to say it without sounding like I'm mouthing off.
You, Doug 99, FLJ, Sweeper, Welsh Druid, Bluebird, etc...  all have the gift of making their point without causing offence. I'll try to do ditto henceforth.

Apologies.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.