Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie with first post and query  (Read 2527 times)

dave parker

• Full Mayhemer
Newbie with first post and query
« on: May 23, 2012, 09:54:50 am »

Hi All

This is my first post and question, but wanted to introduce myself first.

For the last 10 years or so I have been building models, plastic kits ranging from airfix style kits of aircraft, cars, trucks etc, and also some miniature modelling from Games Workshop etc.

For the last 5 years or so I have been reading Model boats magazine, trying to understand the builds, the methods etc, but I think that finally its about time I have a go at building one myself.

I have considering kits like Model Slipway Puffer or RTTL Vosper kits which come with plastic hulls and a lot of formed plastic pieces but I think I want to build my own hull from balsa/ply and as much of the other parts as possible.

Therefore I have been looking at Vospoer Motor Torpedo Boat built by Intel on here (see below)

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=164.0

However I am looking for people suggestions as to a good boat to be my first.  I do prefer military style boats but I want something thats simple enough for my first build but with plenty to do on it in order to understand and learn how to do things properly.

Ideally I would like to have recommendarions/suggestions of motors/propellor/tubes etc as I dont know anything about these yet.

Anyways, thanks for listen to me waffle and I hope to hear from you to help me become a new member of the team!

Dave

andra

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Newbie with first post and query
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 10:34:59 am »

Hi Dave!

First of all welcome to the Forum, you are in good company here as we all love our modelling and with umpteen millenia of design, build and operational experience between us, there is n't a material or model that has n't been tried or challenge overcome!

I am still a bit of a newbie myself but the wise old heads will have plenty of good suggestions for you, Intel's blog of the lovely Glynn Guest design is first class and as you have the desire to get stuck in, surely you could not go far wrong with all the help and encouragement here at your fingertips, probably the best model to go for is the one that attracts/interests you most even if you initially feel it may be a bit challenging, after all that's where the interest to keep you building, and the great satisfaction of achievment when (eventually! %)) completed come from.

And now I need to take my own advice and get building and posting up pics (like a good Forum member should :embarrassed:), keep us informed, we love photos and questions...welcome aboard Dave!

Andy

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:52:34 am »

Welcome, don't forget to add your location (roughly) so we can advise on bargains etc. No use telling you about a bargain in UK if you are in Oz.  Have you considered a Springer, the ideal beginners boat.  You can add the superstructure of your choice civil or military, there has been a MTB version, Battleships, submarines, stealth ships etc.  Simple to build and sturdy to last. Don`t forget the pictures.
..well can you land on this?

Oldsmokey

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 11:04:49 am »

Hi Dave
Not sure of your modelling experience or skill level.
But you have the right idea start simple; if possible talk 1 to 1 with other modellers. (Try to stop them taking once they start).
My first models were kits, Caldercraft’s Puffer, Northlight. Then Dave Metcalf’s tug Yorkshireman.
A few other Tugs built from hull and plan packs. Then plan only. Now scratch build from my own scaled up drawings taken from line drawings in books and photographs, of the real thing if possible.

Some warships like the coastal forces are ok wider beams and more stable on the water.
Until you are confident your skill level is up to it don't try the destroyer or that type, they have narrower hulls so a little more involved in setting up to sit in the water properly and move realistically.
There is a lot of other equipment to fit into the hull and positioning is very important. 

Best of luck with your MTB build. :-))

That reminds me, I bought a hull and plan pack for a MAAS boat at a show about 2001. Must get it out of the junk shed. (I mean the garage).

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 11:36:17 am »

I have considering kits like Model Slipway Puffer or RTTL Vosper kits which come with plastic hulls and a lot of formed plastic pieces but I think I want to build my own hull from balsa/ply and as much of the other parts as possible.

Therefore I have been looking at Vospoer Motor Torpedo Boat built by Intel on here (see below)

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=164.0

However I am looking for people suggestions as to a good boat to be my first.  I do prefer military style boats but I want something thats simple enough for my first build but with plenty to do on it in order to understand and learn how to do things properly.

You might be interested in this one - plans here:http://modelboats.hobby-site.com/RAF.html

and build logs here:  http://modelboats.hobby-site.com/RAFmasterpics.html

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 01:36:04 pm »

I've been building the Seas Scout for my grandson to use at our club and one other model in Vintage Model Boats arsenal that you could consider is their new version of the old Aerokits Fast Patrol Launch http://www.vintagemodelboats.com/page15.html constructed out of a ply kit.

I'm mentioning this one as it's a relatively small model to start with and hence won't take you forever to complete. Your modelling experience will stand you in good stead for what is a fun build, you'll learn a lot from it, during what is really classic wooden hard chine boat construction and the skills and methodology you gain you will be able to transfer to bigger projects when you've cut your teeth on this. You can also do enough customisation to really make it your own, in terms of painting and accessories.

Whatever boat you choose, the best of luck and whatever questions you've got you'll find loads of help from the chaps here.   :D

The build of my Sea Scout is here so that you can see the sort of build involved... http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=35321.0

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 02:02:52 pm »

Hey Arrow!
 when are you going to give us a set of plans and a build for these barges?
   <*<

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.