Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumas Chris craft Triple  (Read 53002 times)

slewis

Re: Dumas Chris craft Triple
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2007, 08:41:33 pm »

We will say, starting at the bow and first frame back from the bow - we will call this number 1 and
when you reach number 5 frame this is where your planking of the bow terminates.   From then on it is sheet plywood to the stern of the boat.   Is there external planking over the top of your first layer of plywood and planks? (possibly mahogany planking?).

100% correct John
The complete model is planked over with mahogany strips after this sub planking .

I will try the boiling in water first and see if this overcomes it failing that the narrower planks seem like the best way to go .

Thanks for the help its appreciated

Shane

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 10:05:07 pm »

Or you could use 1/16 planking and use two layers.

I built a scratch mtb with a similar problem at the bow, I used sheet to where the bends got stiff, then went to diagonal planks, its much easier to follow the curve that way.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

slewis

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 10:10:23 pm »

Thanks Ian   I appreciate ALL replies   I always bow down to experience .
Having never planked a model before its a seriously steep learning curve and one which I dont really want to screw up .
I will work out what I am going to do this week and update on my decision based on trail and error OFF the boat  ;)
Gawd if this was a plane it would be sheeted by now and getting ready for fibreglass covering  ;D ;D ;D

Shane

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2007, 10:13:25 pm »

Good idea that, experiment on a mock up first.

Ian

slewis

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 08:03:53 pm »

I got back from work tonight at about 7pm  so it was straight down the workshop to sort out the final subplanking.
I epoxied the 2 outers on and with plenty of masking tape managed to get these 2 fitted correctly .

The 2 problematic inner ones I steamed with a wallpaper stripper for 5 minutes and then layed them out as in the picture below and hopefully tommorow they should retain the shape  :-\
Even if they dont they may be bent enough for me to clamp them onto the hull .
Time will tell  ::)

Sorry about the second picture I had to use my phone as my camera battery died  :(

More soon

Shane

slewis

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2007, 05:51:00 pm »

It worked fine
The twist I had put into the strips during the week made it easy to fit the final sections into place  ;)

So it was onto the planking which in this case is 1/2/" x 1/8" balsa .
Having never done anything like this before I took my time with it and here you can see the first planks going on

I soon ended up with a fully planked model .

Ok I know its not perfect and definatley not the best job in the world but for a first attempt I am really rather pleased with how its gone today  :D

I have also fitted hard balsa blocks in the front of the bow which I have rough cut to shape and then the whole thing is going to get a good sanding down to smooth it out .

More soon

Shane

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2007, 06:04:43 pm »

Hi,

That looks real good. With work you should get a really good hull out of that, the shape looks good to me.

Ian

slewis

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2007, 11:07:47 pm »

OK I get mixed up with leccy stuff , to be honest it confuses the life out of me and I cant get my head around it at all.
But have been sourcing a motor and associated gear for this one and have come up with the following .
MFA - Torpedo 850 Motor power pack 1115ESC
MFA Torpedo 850 6-12v motor power pack for large boats. Complete with Digital electronic speed controller with BEC and reverse (6-12v input, 30 amp continuous current)
Includes motor and mount, electronic speed controller, coupling, prop, fused wiring harness, servo linkage, and full suppression.
Typical current draw: 5.3 amps

12.0V 3700mAh SC NiMH Battery Pack.
High capacity, fitted with standard “Tamiya” style connector on
very flexible, high current leads - 50A discharge capacity .

Does this sound/look right  ?  Dont go getting technical on me it will hinder me more than help .
If its not right please feel free to suggest (based on experience not heresay) any make and combination that would work if mine is wrong .
Thanks 
Shane

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2007, 11:17:28 pm »

sounds as though it could work to me

Ian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2007, 05:10:26 pm »

Hi Shane,

Great build, makes me want to build one myself!

I've had a look on the Dumas website , they recommend "Power #2025 High Speed Electric Motor" - which looks suspiciously like an ordinary 540 / 550 / Speed 600 type motor.

Dumas Boat Motor 6V 10,000 RPM #2025
Item Description:

A great little high speed electric that can be used in lots of projects. This is the motor we use to power our Chris Craft line of models. Includes mounting brackets and complete coupling for 1/8" shaft.

If so then your proposed MFA - Torpedo 850 would either;
a) Rip the boat in two...
b) Sink her...
c) Not be fast enough on a scale / small propeller.

I would go for a much smaller and faster motor, maybe the;

Stingray 500 Power Pack with on/off Microswitch.
Pt No. 1112P RRP £29.95 inc VAT

Stingray 600 Power Pack with on/off Microswitch.
Pt No. 1116P RRP £30.95 inc VAT

Stingray 500 Power Pack with DigiPro Electronic Speed Controller.
Pt No. 1112PESC RRP

Stingray 600 Power Pack with DigiPro Electronic Speed Controller.
Pt No. 1116PESC RRP

....other opinions anyone?  ::)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2007, 06:03:26 pm »

Superior knowledge shines through!

I am not worthy , oh mayhem one!  ;D

slewis

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2007, 10:46:15 pm »

Still not sure
I have googled the stingray option and according to the link below the 600  is only suitable for 16"-21" models
This one is 41"so not going to commit to buying one as yet . http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MFA-STINGRAY-600-MARINE-POWER-PACK-INCL-NICAD-BOATS_W0QQitemZ120111254300QQihZ002QQcategoryZ140972QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

That said I will have to get something sorted real soon as I need to sort out a motor mount and then I intend upon f/g the interior of the hull for both strength and water proofing .

Why would an 850 rip it apart ?  I am struggling to understand boats and the associated terminology . Surely if its built strong it will take it ?

Again I bow down to superior knowledge  Its a new area for me  :)

Shane

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2007, 02:09:29 pm »

I was just wondering / concerned as Brian on the "Ormesby Cross" thread has used two Torpedo 850 motors in his big heavy tug!

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2322.msg37269#msg37269
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

slewis

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2007, 08:11:43 pm »

Thanks for your help Martin .
I have just ordered a graupner 600 BB sp 9.6V motor and an Mtronik viper20 marine controller . Along with a 9.6V nimh pack . :D

These should get here for the weekend so I can start sorting out where I am going to fit them before resin coating the inside of the hull . Then its a load of sanding to smooth the outside down  :'(

More soon and thanks again

Shane

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2007, 12:32:57 am »

Hi Shane,

I admire your patience to start a build such as that one. I also am envious that you have the time to start a build like that one!!

Good luck with it, seems to be progressing well so far. As to motors, I am not an expert on electric power, but form my experiences in the past it has never been too much of a chew on to change motors in electric boats, so with the skills you clearly have it should not be too much of an issue for you to replace a motor if it is too small (Or big maybe?)

Good luck.

Glenn

slewis

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2007, 06:36:38 pm »

I also am envious that you have the time to start a build like that one!!

Your joking aren't you !
I work 5 days a week from 6.30 am to 6 pm and 6 hours on a Saturday morning  painting cars . At the end of the day I am usually too knackered to do any modelling  :D
The only modeling time I get really is on a sunday so really time is precious and I try and do as much as I can each time .

Thanks for the compliments though  :)

Shane

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2007, 06:57:26 pm »

Your joking aren't you !
I work 5 days a week from 6.30 am to 6 pm and 6 hours on a Saturday morning painting cars .
Shane

Right boys ( and ladies! )
This IS going to be the best model boat paint job EVER!  :o

Martin

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2007, 08:28:21 pm »

Your joking aren't you !
I work 5 days a week from 6.30 am to 6 pm and 6 hours on a Saturday morning painting cars .
Shane

Right boys ( and ladies! )
This IS going to be the best model boat paint job EVER!  :o

Martin

I just don't think it's going to look quite right in Candy apple red somehow Martin!!

Glenn

slewis

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2007, 10:45:57 pm »

Well I  have no experience of painting model boats but I can post a couple of pics of my painting on model planes .
First up a cessna 182 Skylane and a scheme that was new at the time (in the real world)

I apologise in advance for the ugly git behind the model I he has obviously escaped from somewhere  :D

This last one is a Yt P38 which I decided to do in the porky 2 scheme , and rather than get transfers made for the graphics I wanted them painted on as per the original . I looked around for ages and in the end I found a person on RCMF.co.uk (you need to register) who does this sort of thing (actually just starting out )
He creates paint masks on his pc and cuts them out on a plotter .
The pic shows the start of a set of japanese flags , this is in a series of 2 masks which are marked so after 1 colour is applied the second mask is put on top and the second done ,   result perfect japanese flags !
ALL the markings on this plane were done the same way and not wanting to praise myself  it looked the dogs dangly bits !
I can give anyone contact details if they want masks done but it isnt a next day turnover  . He works full time as a fireman !
If anyone is interested to know   The wording above and below the jap flags is approx 2mm high !

Have fun

Shane

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2007, 01:41:14 am »

Clever stuff. The planes look really nice. 

Glenn

kendalboatsman

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2007, 08:39:37 am »

Hi Shane,

First model boat I ever built was the wooden kit of the Perkasa Torpedo Boat. That was 3ft long, having seen a lot of "slowly moving" Perkasa fast patrol boats powered by 540 class motors (just like the one Dumas recommend) I set out to make my Perkasa plane as she should. I used what was then the MFA Marlin power pack (comprising motor, manual speed control and propeller) this was powered up by a 7.2v 1400mah buggy racing pack. The Perkasa planed beautifully rising up at the bows as per the full size vessel.

I believe the MFA Torpedo 800 is the replacement for the old Marlin motor. Have you tried emailing MFA for advice?

Hope that helps

Clive :)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2007, 09:06:32 am »

The MFA Torpedo 800 revs at 4000 rpm, the 850 close to 10000.
The 800 more suited to scale warships etc, my 6 foot destroyer has 2 of these fitted.
The Graupner 600 should give a good turn of speed with about 18000 rpm.
It might be worth under propping her and work up on prop size.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

slewis

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2007, 10:29:03 pm »

Thanks for that Bob .I will bear it all in mind when the powerplant gets here . So far I have only got a battery to stick in it !  :

Its been a bit of a no progress but lots done day today so no pics I am afraid .
I have sanded the lot down so I now have a smooth hull to put the final planking on . I have also filled any small gaps with balsa dust and thin CA . If you havent tried this please do so . Its a great way of filling small gaps , just push as much balsa dust as you can into the gap and carefully drop thin CA onto it , it sets rock hard and fills any small gaps. It IS a right pain to sand down though so be carefull with the CA .
I have also waterproofed the inside with polyeurathane resin which needs a fair few hours to cure so the hulls been put to one side overnight.
Getting bored looking at it I decided it was time to make a stand for it so I can work on it better on the bench and at the pool .
Hmmmm   where to start  ?
I got hold of the excess ply the frames came cnc cut in and used two of them as templates to make mdf frames for the hull to sit on. then made a couple of cross pieces and epoxied them together . These were then rubbed smoothish (no reason for a good finish) and sanding sealer was painted on . After this it has had one coat of primer and will be painted with gloss white (from cans ) tommorow .
At least I will now have a solid base for the model to be worked on .
I forgot to add that the profile of the hull (on the stand ) is edged with styrofoam borrowed from a skip at work  ;D ;D

Should be some piccys tommorow and more building  ;)

Shane

ps Martin I still have no pass for the mayhem weekend  :D

slewis

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2007, 06:16:47 pm »

Back to it !

First off the finished stand . Total build time about 45 minutes and that was allowing for the paint to dry  ;D ;D

Then it was onto some serious work for the day . First job was to fix the deck formers into position on top of the frames already in the hull paying carefull attention that the engle of each was inline with the frame underneath . As you can see it took a lot of clamps !

Once these had had chance to set The clamps were removed and I set about fixing the stringers in place down either side of the boat . Again ,as I did on some of the planking , the 1/4" x 1/8" spruce spars were dampened and left to dry out while being held (rather crudely ) in a rough shape of the hull .

These were then pinned and clamped into place along either side of the hull which as you can see starts at one end on the sheer then rises and then ends on the sheer at the other end.

Thats it for today apart from gluing the cockpit floor halves together then sanding them down and giving them a couple of coats of sanding sealer to leave a nice finish that gets painted grey at work tomorrow .
The destructions say nothing about the colour grey nor for that matter if they should be gloss,matt or satin finish so I guess I will spend a while tonight surfing the interweb and see if I can find a picture or two .

More soon

Shane

slewis

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2007, 09:23:11 pm »

Todays little task after finishing work   was to install the cockpit sides and stain them .
So working from the front the first thing to be done was to paint up the cockpit floors which I did in the week at work with a dark grey Matt paint . I then carefully cut a small slot in the front cockpit floor and installed the throttle lever . I had toyed with making this the on/off switch but decided against it in the end due to space under the floor or rather lack of !
After the front cockpit floor was glued down I started with the mahogany veneer sheets which were sanded to fit and epoxied into place with loads of clamps and pins . I worked down the model doing all 3 cockpits and once happy with them gave them all a rub down with light sandpaper to remove any epoxy or rough spots . They HAD been sanded down on the bench before fitting but a quick rub over gave peace of mind.

Then it was time to stain them with a water based stain that came with the kit and required mixing in water as it came as a powder .
OK I know what you are thinking "water based stain ?? "
I had the same reservations myself , even more so when the destructions called for a water based clearcoat over the top !
Anyway I stained them with the supplied stain and after it had dried (about 10 minutes in this heat today) I started looking around the shed for a clearcoat and happened upon some Ronseal gloss clear . That will do the job 
The first coat is on and needs 6 hours before re coating , which it will need as the mahogany has drunk all that I gave it !

The stain looks a nice colour anyway 

I plan on a bit more building before the second coat of clear is applied in the morning then clear coat and leave overnight again   

More soon

Shane
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.