Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumas Chris craft Triple  (Read 53024 times)

slewis

Re: Dumas Chris craft Triple
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2007, 06:14:43 pm »

Another couple of coats of varnish have been applied to the inside cockpits and have dried so its all systems go on the building again.
I built up the engine compartment cover and a similar hatch at the stern for access to the rudder and servo.

These were then removed from the hull and the deck subplanking was stuck down

Now then how to fill in the gaps on top of the sheer ? I followed instructions and built them up with 1/8" x1/2" balsa strips like so

These were then sanded down to the correct profile along the length of the hull using templates provided in the kit that are placed at each frame so you can check the profile as you go along .
That leaves me with this

and from the rear showing off the barrelback shape

Then the whole thing got a good sanding over to creat a nice smooth finish ready to accept the mahogany planking and to make sure the hatches sit nice and flush with the rest of the decking .

Thats all for today folks next up its mahogany planking time  :o

Shane

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2007, 07:15:11 pm »

Hi there Shane

I am answering your question about diagonal planking in mahogany on this build thread.  Bearing in mind this is the method that I used and it may be entirely different to anyone else's.   As fullleatherjacket says, 'if it suits you then use it'.

The material I used was supplied by JoTika Limited.  The mahogany planks were 5mm wide by 1/2mm thick.

The glue I use was EvoStick waterproof PVA.  Also, very thin dressmaking pins.   I roughly marked off, in the centre of the hull, the mid-section.  Drew from the keel to the gunnel and in your case it will be from the keel to your chine edge and drew a 45 degree angle from the keel.   The first plank was laid following this line I had marked on the hull and glued it and then held it in place with dressmaking pins.  From that first plank, I worked 5 planks to the front of the boat and 5 planks to the back of the boat.  That therefore gave me 11 planks in total.

I then turned the hull around and did exactly the same to this side (I repeated what I had done on one side to the other side).   

When the 22 pieces of timber had dried, I went back to my first side which I had started at.   I glued five more planks towards the bow, five more planks to the stern on that side - turned the hull around and repeated the process on the opposite side.   By this time the glue had dried on the set of planks on the opposite side.  Thus allowing me to carry on.

When I had finished planking the external planks, I light-sanded off to remove all hollows and bumps.   One mistake I made, I should have filled in the small holes that some of the dressmaking pins leave.  Because, when I epoxied the hull, I found my first coat would not penetrate/flow into the holes of the dressmaking - I had to staple hard the epoxy into the holes to fill them.

Ive included a couple of photographs which may give you some help. 

If you need any more help, or you dont understand give a shout.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

slewis

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2007, 07:58:45 pm »

John many Thanks for that I understand how you have done that perfectly  ;)
The only difference I am experiencing is that the planks are 1/8" (2mm ish) x 1/2" so are quite substantial to bend to the shape of the hull . Also they run from bow to stern in one complete length with stealers cut to fill in the gaps at the bow where it would be impossible to bend the planks to fit properly.
I think I may well try either steaming them or soaking in 50/50 ammonia /water mix for a few hours to soften them up a bit and give myself a fighting chance .
I have started on this planking already but only so far as 4 planks up from the chine and anything else will HAVE to have some serious softening to get it to follow the bow lines.
Practice makes perfect though and if I cock it up I can always re-doe it again .

Thanks again for the answer

Shane

slewis

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2007, 08:51:45 pm »

I have been having a think about this and have come to the opinion that this mahogany I have is way to robust for the job in hand and as such will be contacting Jo-Tika in the morning and getting some ordered that is going to be more use to me . The 0.5 mm or 1mm would be easier to work with than this 1/8" I have here.
I am off down the shed now to have a measure up and count of the strips I have with the kit .

Shane

slewis

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2007, 05:18:47 pm »

Ok I will own up and let you all know that 2 of the planks I had fitted have sprung loose  :'(
So it was time to have another go with what I have got in the box , figuring it must be the right stuff or it wouldnt of been packed !
So Not getting hold of any ammonia as places I went to didnt have any I looked around for another way of bending these strips and seem to of hit upon a cunning plan  :D
I found that if I hold my soldering iron in a vice and when hot run the plank over it while bending it to the rough outline needed it tends to hold its shape quite succesfully . Care of course must be taken to not actually burn the wood so keeping it moving at all times is a must.
This is where I am at now ..........

This pic shows a crudely made jig shaped to the hull which when taped tighly holds the planks flat on the hull .

The small triangular section will be cut to shape once the side is covered with as many full planks as I can fit .
I anticipate a lot of sanding and shaping of small pieces as I climb higher up the hull .

More tomorrow

Shane

slewis

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2007, 10:36:09 pm »

Sorry for the lack of updates  but the camera battery died !

As it stands at the moment I am a trifle peed off ! I have been trying to get these 43" long planks fitted and its taking a very long time due to the twists in the wood , meaning that every plank has to be clamped into place and allowed to set before moving onto the next one . I.e one plank a day  >:(
Now after re reading the instructions on the last page I read this " on the original the planks were usually 12" or 24 " long and there is no reason why the model cannot be built along the same lines " !! WTF !  I could of finished it by now if that had been made clear before starting this planking ! Now I am stuck as I cannot do this on the other side as it would look weired , so am stuck with another week + doing the same to the other side !

I think my next build I am going to go with my intuition and sod the destructions !!

More soon
a slightly peed off..

Shane

slewis

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2007, 09:15:25 pm »

Well not to be outdone, and while quietly thinking of removing what I had done and using smaller lengths of planking to make life a darn site easier for myself ,I decided to carry on and perservere with the full length planking I had started .
I twisted a few to match the shape of the bow and started again.
I now have this  :D

I also started on trying to bend 3 lengths of Mahogany planking almost 90 degrees to follow the shape of the bow . Luckily a jig was provided and it was a matter of gradually bending them. To do this I soaked 3  12" strips in warm water for about 10 minutes and pinned one end to the bench against the jig . Using a hot travel iron I basically ironed the plank slowly around the curve ,pinning it as I went . When dry it was virtually the shape I wanted so I did the other 2 the same way .
Then to finish it off I soaked them again and pinned all 3 to the jig and will leave them overnight to dry out naturally.

More soon

Shane

slewis

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2007, 09:25:12 pm »

As an afterthought  What is that piece I have just bent known as ? Its called a stern post in the instructions but by my definition thats the wrong end !!! It runs down the front centre keel and up the bow .

Shane

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2007, 10:03:28 pm »

Its the stem! (I think!)

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

slewis

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2007, 09:05:59 pm »

Well its been a while since my last update so I suppose I should show you how far I have got !
I have (at last) finished the hull planking and it has had its first sanding downto lose the rough edges and get some curves back onto her .

Ignore the grey looking areas they are mahogany wood filler which I had a try out with before commiting it to the model . Its mahogany colour before sanding but turns this grey colour afterwards . Not to worry though because it does stain quite nicely and is barely noticable after a couple of coats .

More soon ...........

Shane

slewis

« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2007, 05:37:25 pm »

seeing as the weather has been glorious today I took the plunge and epoxied the stem post onto the hull strip by strip and held it in place while setting with copious amounts of masking tape .

After a couple of hours it was rock solid and sanded down to a knife edge at the front .
Then it was time to move onto a task which I was facing with a certain amount of trepidation as it has to be right first time !
Planking the deck ..

Firstly shaped sections were sanded down and trial fitted onto the deck and when happy it was out with the epoxy again and they were taped into place

Once again once dry  I started filling in the gaps with the supplied 3/8" mahogany strips and some 1/16" plastic strip . These were all carefully sanded down and shaped before fitting and after a few hours work I now have this  :)

I am happy with that and it will look fantastic once its all sanded down smooth ready for the stain .

More soon as I carry on with this during the week after work . I should get the whole deck done by next weekend and then its time to start fitting the motor and electrics .

Shane

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2007, 05:44:56 pm »

Starting to look something special now. Nice job. ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2007, 06:01:30 pm »

Thats looking really nice now Shane - -keep up the good work

Ian

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2007, 06:03:31 pm »

realy looking good. question, did i read you write and saw you say you were going to stain the deck?
will this not also stainn the white caulkin(plastic)
realy hope not
all the best
colin
grumpy old XXX

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2007, 06:07:32 pm »

Just a thought, but will the stain stick to the plastic? Or will it leave an edge that might flake away?

I would consider clear glass varnish.

Ian

slewis

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2007, 08:03:55 pm »

good points chaps .
I have tried some out with scraps and as its a water based stain once its been applied to the wood it wipes quite easily off the plastic leaving it quite clean. It soaks into the wood and dries really quickly (within minutes) so I can easily remove it from the plastic leaving no flaking edges  ;)

Thanks for the thoughts though it could of saved me some trouble later on

Shane

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2007, 07:19:51 pm »

Hello Shane, eagerly awaiting your next post.....Mick

slewis

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2007, 08:07:17 pm »

Not that much to post really , the last few evenings and weekends have been spent finishing off the top deck planking which is now done all bar sanding down (last piece went on this evening )
I also put the transom planking on this evening so untill tommorow when I can remove all the tape holding it all flat   nothing to show I am afraid .
Tommorow I will take some pics of it completely planked and hopefully having a first sand down to get the curves in the right places ..

Shane

slewis

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2007, 09:09:11 pm »

As promised some fully planked pics for you .
I did encounter a couple of problems with a couple of the planks while sanding down . I caught the sand paper edge on a high spot of one of the thin 1/8 planks around the edge and pulled a section of it off  >:( So thats where you will see masking tape in the pics holding a new piece in place while it sets !
I also had one of the transom planks spring loose from the ply sub planking so that is also reglued into place .
Anyway i waffle so here are some pics  ;)

Shane

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2007, 09:57:25 pm »

Superb job Shane. I hope you are going to varnish and not stain? Try on a test peice, but 6 or 7 coats of good quality varnish rubbed down in between with 1200 wet/dry will make a superb finish.

If you do go that way, dilute first varnish coat 50:50 with white spirit.

Ian

slewis

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2007, 11:05:05 pm »

Thanks Ian  but I have to stain unfortunatley as its the only way of hiding some filler on the hull . I have tried samples of yacht varnish on unstained filler and it looks naff ! but is getawayable on stained .
Still as this IS my first boat build I am well satisfied with what I have now .
Did I mention this is my first go at building a boat  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

have fun chaps    I am !

Shane

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2007, 09:52:33 am »

If this is your first boat, the rest of us will be learning from you!

Ian

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2007, 03:11:58 pm »

Shane,

Keep posting and keep the pics coming as I have just finished cutting out the material for the hull today.........

It does look superb.........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2007, 09:48:54 pm »

Hello Shane, very interested in your build. Did you purchase the kit from Dumas Products, online, and what was the cost including postage. I have browsed their website....Mick

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2007, 10:04:44 pm »

realy looking good. keep it up
colin
grumpy old XXX
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.