Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumas Chris craft Triple  (Read 53022 times)

slewis

Re: Dumas Chris craft Triple
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2007, 09:49:46 pm »

Hi Mick  sorry I have been late in replying to you .
I ordered the kit from www.modelboat.com  it cost £225 (give or take on exchange rates) + £46.50 when it was delivered which covered import duty  ,vat  etc .
Took about 6 weeks in total from ordering to getting here and I must say I am well pleased with the compant that sold it to me .

OK then enough said here are a couple of pics that you may or may not like .
Its been stained as per the original which is NOT all one colour mahogany but 2 different shades which I have tried to replicate . It looks a bit odd at the moment but please bear with me when I say that both colours look totally different when coated with several coats of resin . They sort of contrast now (light and dark) but after the resin they almost blend from on to the other.

Oh well here goes  :-\
I am off for the weekend to Weston park model air show , local to me and jam packed with traders so I can restock up on wood and stuff .
More sunday evening

Shane

slewis

« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2007, 11:19:18 pm »

I was correct on my assumption that the colours would blend from one to the other . The first coat of resin has been applied today and it looks like I havent stained at all  >:(
All the differences in colour have disappeared  and it all looks the same !
I will post pics tommorow of how it is now . Its not bad looking but not what I wanted  >:(

Shane

slewis

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2007, 11:51:48 am »

Ok the first coat of resin has been rubbed down but before I did that here are a couple of pictures to show how the various stains all seem to of become one colour ! Oh well nothing I can do about it now so I am off down the workshop to give it another coat  ;)

Shane

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2007, 12:48:28 pm »

Looking really great Shane
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2007, 01:33:39 pm »

Stunning!  :o

What resin are you using?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

slewis

« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2007, 02:49:45 pm »

Thanks chaps much appreciated  :)

The resin is a finishing resin by Fibretech http://www.fibretechgb.co.uk/DefaultHome.htm
If using it be careful though as when its warm like it has been here it does have a tendancy to run like thick milk if over applied . (ask me how I know  ::) )
So in this case its better to be sparing with it and build up gradually to a finish .

More soon

Shane

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2007, 11:15:06 pm »

Hi Shane, how did the trip to Weston park go? 
Where will you sail the 'Triple' when completed.
I have 'won', wrong word,  a plan of the Chris Craft 'Triple' on eBay.
So, your build has real interest.....keep on posting....Mick

slewis

« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2007, 11:48:02 pm »

Ok to answer your questions
Hi Shane, how did the trip to Weston park go? 

great  but was extremely muddy  but a good weekend non the less with loads of trade .

Where will you sail the 'Triple' when completed.
On water somwhere in the west mids   I am NOT a member of any club so its gonna be a case of suck it and see  :-\
I have 'won', wrong word,  a plan of the Chris Craft 'Triple' on eBay.

should of asked I would of sent the plans I have to you after I  have finished for nowt  :-\

Ta for looking at the thread though .

now up to 3 coats of resin and 5 coats of varnish and LOTS of rubbing down   :P

slewis

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2007, 10:21:34 pm »

I,ll chuck a pic or two up tomorrow but at the moment it is almost rubbed flat again .
Blummin eck its hard work this boat building !
It has had 3 coats of resin and 7 coats of varnish so far and I am still finding bits I have missed ! >:(
But after all this rubbing down and brush painting I will finish the boat with a product called Klasskoat which is a sprayable gloss clear coat that is epoxy based and provides a rock hard fantastic finish . I have used it before on planes and believe me when I say it does exactly what it says on the tin !
BTW  KK also do paint as well as satin finishes but most of the paint colours ,for obvious reasons given they are meant for model planes , are going to be aircraft orientated . That said the UK reseller (Wayne) does do a colour matching service as well so if you are struggling for a hard to find colour with a paint that is epoxy based and fuel resistant as well try here http://www.baronpaints.co.uk/

Sorry if this is a blatent plug Martin  but its a great product and well tested . I did a review of it verses another paint new on the scene on rcmf and tested them both to oblivion at the time . Please remove the link if you think neccesary .

Shane

BTW  the final coat will be sprayed on not brushed as have all the rest (phew something I CAN do right  ;D )

slewis

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2007, 11:35:04 pm »

On a different note I  tracked down a local supplier of faux leather or leatherette to upholster the seating in .
Hm interesting  I  ordered the minimum quantity as I probably need 2 ft sq to allow for the inevitable cock ups I am going to have and for £5 +£2  post I got this lot !
So if any of you have any biege sofas that want recovering give me a call !  ;D ;D

Shane

fludey

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2007, 09:51:03 pm »

That is a truely amazing piece of wood work let alone an outstanding looking craft....wouldnt dare put it in the water after all the time you must have spent on it. Looks great esp the fine detail in the wood work ;D

slewis

« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2007, 10:52:47 pm »

Many thanks for the compliments Fludey   but its only being build for one thing and thats to get on the water with !  As regards all the time spent on it  I only started building it about 8 weeks ago  :-\  .
Go On take the plunge and get some wood work under your belt . The beauty of wood is that you can work it and if you cock it up you can get another piece and work at it untill its right in YOUR eyes .

BTW I was gonna congratulate you on your paintwork on a different thread but it seemed to degenerate so kept out of it . But here on this thread I say a big WELL DONE on a great finish and paint job 
Shane

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2007, 10:55:09 pm »

Hi there Shane

I have been watching your build with great interest - I had fears you may be going to put several coats of polyester resin on the hull.   I now realise you arent - and in fact you are going to finish off with a varnish which obviously you have gone well into clear finishes on hulls.    One of the fears was if you had put 7 layers of polyester resin on, you may have run into some problems later on.   Polyester resin isnt waterproof, but it will be when you have varnished it.

What I will comment on is the planking of the hull and the deck - I come from a boatbuilding family (lifesize boats) and Ive seen many planked boats - planked the way you are doing yours.  You have done really well!   Lovely job.  A Feather in your cap.

john e

bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

slewis

« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2007, 11:07:25 pm »

John I take that as praise indeed and I thank you .
regarding the resin I reached the decision a whiule back (after the first coat) that to totally cover it with maybe 7 layers was going to be well out of the question , it would of taken me as many years to rub smooth !
so after I were happy that it was a smooth as it was ever going to be I started using a gloss varnish (ok its a ronseal outdoor gloss ) but it gives a good finish . But if following this route please be aware of the fact it stays soft for at least 36 hours a coat   regardless of what it says on the tin , so rubbing back can be a problem . After this time its better to sand back with wet and dry (used wet)

I reached my decision on the final finish after using KK for a few years and KNOW its going to be the finish I want .

Fludey  I got my inspiration for the build from Ians build here . Made me want to do something similar and I think mine pales into insignificance in this case  although I am proud of it so far  ;D http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=213.0

Thanks chaps

Shane

slewis

« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2007, 10:05:51 pm »

oK quick update as I have been busy on it this week (evenings)
I am nearly satisfied with the sides and top deck (just a couple of minor low spots still show) so have started doing exactly the same to the bottom . This is quicker as apart from making it waterproof with just a couple of layers of resin and 4 layers of varnish   its nice and flat for the most part so minimum rubbing down on this . The bottom ,up to the waterline ,is painted so as long as its a nice smooth finish that is waterproof I can hopefully start painting the bottom this weekend . This will be high build primer coat x 2  rubbed smooth and then painted with a nice rich bergundy colour , which I think will look good against the mahogany hull and gold lettering and the cream leather upholstery (still got to work that one out !)
The whole thing is getting a couple of coats of KlassKote http://www.baronpaints.co.uk/ gloss clear coat which I will polish .

More hopefully over the weekend 

Shane

slewis

« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2007, 09:48:56 pm »

Ok the paintwork has started and here she is masked up ready to go !

I should say that it was rubbed down with a red scotchbrite pad (like a washing up scourer)before any paint was applied to give the primer something to key to . This was then wiped over with a low VOC thinners to remove any grease and finally a tack rag was used to get rid of any dust .
Then it was onto high build primer , nothing special here just a Halfords one as most of it will be rubbed away it didnt make much sense paying for good stuff .

First off its dusted over very lightly to give the rest of the primer something to better stick to like so..

These coats are progressivly built up slowly to allow the solvents in them to evapourate and dry out properly .If you dont do it slowly you can end up with this which I applied a little heavily along the one edge  :-X

After this I had to leave it a couple of hours to dry thoroughly then rubbed the crazing away with 800 grade wet and dry (used wet) and the process was started again .
That left me with this

All in all 4 coats of primer which I will start rubbing back in the morning ready for the red paint  ;)

Shane

slewis

« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2007, 04:38:21 pm »

Primer rubbed smooth it was time for the red to go on .
Applied the same way as the primer the surface was degreased and tacked off to remove dust and the slowly the paint was built up in many coats untill the desired effect was achieved which you can see below !
The paint colour in actual effect is not what it looks like in the pictures but more of a burgundy colour .

Shane

slewis

« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2007, 04:40:32 pm »

I suppose if I actually added the pictures it might help  :P

See if you can spot a major mistake I have made  :-X

Shane

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2007, 05:05:48 pm »

Superb finish!

Major mistake - no propshafts! ;D

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2007, 05:14:36 pm »

Beautiful paint job. How are you going to fit propshafts and rudders without messing it up ?  ???

slewis

« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2007, 05:38:09 pm »

Well spotted guys !

I noticed this when I was unmasking it and feel like a complete pratt !

Cant do anything about it now though its too late . So once its hardened off I will have to start  a bit of cutting and rectification ! :'( Shouldnt be too bad to do really but dont I feel like an idiot !!

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2007, 09:21:45 pm »

I know! - fit an outboard!  ;D

slewis

« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2007, 10:31:11 pm »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2007, 12:50:52 am »

I did wonder if you had fitted the latest in stealth drive, induced thrust transmitted through the hull?

;D ;D

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2007, 09:29:10 am »

Sails ?  ???
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.