Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumas Chris craft Triple  (Read 53032 times)

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dumas Chris craft Triple
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2007, 02:00:37 pm »

thanks for that. you have just made me laugh, and i was feeling right umpty before.
Er, dare one ask how on earth you managed to forget the shaft AND rudders.
so what, i,m sure you will sort it out and still have a wonderfull looking boat.
at the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, cover the paint in masking tape before drilling or cutting.
Quality mistake
colin
grumpy old XXX

slewis

« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2007, 10:31:08 pm »

Colin I am happy that I made your day with my cock up !  Honest I am !
We all need a pick you up from time to time and we have all had a laugh at others mistakes  i guess this was just my time to be on the recieving end ! I could of kept quiet about it and I dare say nobody would of been any the wiser thinking that the prop and rudder were later in the build , but thats not my style  I cock it up I will show it and hopefully others will learn from my mistakes . I have made a few on this build (as its my forst) but they were minor and were not worth the effort of typing them in .

On a different note i have been down the shop tonight and have cut out the openings for the propshaft and drilled for the rudder . with minimum damage to the paintwork . I will still have to repaint it again or at least put a couple of coats on to blend the repair in but its easily salvageable  ;)

take care chaps

Shane

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2007, 07:20:03 pm »

Hello Shane, worry not...I make these building mistakes all the time.

I have started my build of the 'Triple' from the plan I obtained on eBay.

I would like to see your motor/propshaft layout and location, when you reach that stage.

I have a building instruction booklet from the Sterlings Model Triple kit, however the length is only 29inches.

My 'Triple' is the same length as yours, so I would appreciate a close-up photo of the motor layout.

How, and where, are you fitting the rudder servo?

Have you decided on the motor/battery combination?

Keep posting.....regards Mick.

slewis

« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2007, 09:24:03 pm »

well I have been and started rectification tonight and have cut out slot for the prop shaft and fitted its mounting bracket . I have also drilled a hole for the rudder .
The rudder is made from a brass square plate and you just get a template to shape it to . This was then silver soldered into a slot on the post.
I have also begun making the motor mount which is busy setting at the moment so untill thats done I cannot fix the shaft in place as I need to obviously line it all up .
Just a quick pic below to show some of the rectification .

Mick I will post some pics of the installation while and when it is doen to give you an idea . I will also take a few measurements for you so you know where you are drilling and cutting .
Again the same with the rudder servo which fits under the trap door at the back (this is an addition by Dumas and not on the original )
Motor is a Graupner 600 and battery is a tornado trc 4300 .

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2007, 07:37:19 pm »

Thanks Shane, the photos will be very useful.
My plan is very basic.....a drawing of eight frames and the keel....so your build is a big help.
The book of instructions which arrived with the plan is for the Sterling Models triple...not much help.

I have some experience with aircraft/boat building....however a little advice goes a long way.
I have ordered my timber from Dennis Nixon, Twigfolly....their are no model shops in my neck of the woods....Mick

slewis

« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2007, 09:29:22 pm »

No worries Mick  I will post some detailed shots over the weekend hopefully and include some measurements . I may if its any help scan the relevant pages in the instruction book and email them to you . I can always send the lot /plans and instructions when I have finished if that would be any help to you  ;)

On a different note I installed the motor mount tonight the removed it as its flimsy to say the least and made one up out of 1/2" ply instead using the old on as a template so I get the angle right.
Now it gives all relevant measurments for positioning these things and where to install stuffing box and prop sfahet and how much it protrudes inboard etc etc , then proceeds to tell me how to mechanically line it all up with the motor shaft . No problem i can do that easily but then I hit a problem . The "dog bone" between the 2 connecting blocks is too short by 3/4" ! So what to do ? Do I remake the motor mount (going to be a pain as they are epoxied into position ) Or can you buy these things in different lengths ? I have one that is 1.25" and need one of 2" .
Pic below showing the shortage . Apologies its been taken with my phone as the camera battery is dead  :-\

Shane

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2007, 02:26:20 pm »

Shane,

They are available in different lengths over here so should be available over there, but I know not where, If you cannot find any let me know and I will send a couple over...........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

slewis

« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2007, 08:25:30 pm »

Thanks Roy ,
I have been told that they are also used in RC cars and my LHS seems to sell nothing but these so I may well take a trip there this weekend .

Update as well I have been sent a diagram to tidy up the prop support a bit and its looking like quite a nice idea so keep em peeled ! Cheers for that Colin  ;)

More soon

Shane

kendalboatsman

« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2007, 08:31:46 pm »

Hello Shane,

What is the diameter of the shaft ends? I may have some R/C Buggy Dogbones kicking around you can have.

Clive :)

slewis

« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2007, 09:08:54 pm »

You mean the round bit of the dogbone Clive ? I have not got it here in front of me and its peeing it down out there at the moment so I cant measure it accuratley . I can give a good guess at approx 1/4" though .
If its the motor shaft  that is 1/8" I dont know about the prop shaft but best guess is that it is also 1/8"

Gonna get me coat on in a minute and go measure up ! (maybe  :D)

Thanks for the offer Clive

slewis

« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2007, 04:03:23 pm »

Right then time to sort out the cock up !
Firstly I have found the fittings I need in a new model shop in Stourport on Severn might have been there years I never knew it existed ! Very very helpful http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/model_craze/2408/index/

So thats one sorted ! Now onto putting right the paintwork after hacking the hull about due to my forgetfulness in not fitting a prop shaft and rudder post !

The shaft was mechanically aligned with a 1/8" piece of brass tube fitted into the ends of both couplings on the motor and shaft and marks were made screw the motor down in the correct place . This was trial fitted with just one screw to make sure everything was ok and once happy the other screws were fitted and I am happy to say everything appears to move as it should with no binding or rattling around of the prop shaft  :D
Then with it all in place a mixture of epoxy and micro ballons was prepared and forced into all the gaps around the shaft (this has previously been roughed up to allow a better bond) . On the outside I had applied masking tape all around the edges and over the hole as I didnt want it running through onto the hull surface.
Once dry I turned her over and filled the gaps on the outside and flaired the shaft into the hull with a strange product that I have never used before , it's an epoxy filler that you activate by kneading the 2 parts together for about 10 mins . This was pushed into any remaining gaps and roughly shaped around the shaft . Once dry in about 1 hour it was sanded to shape with 240 grit paper and 2 coats of high build primer applied .
That was yesterday. Today I rubbed back all the primer smooth and also the entire painted surface of the hull with 800 grade wet and dry (used wet) This was then cleaned off and the hull was remasked for a fresh couple of coats of paint . In the pics you will see a fine band of tape around the edge  this is 3M fine line tape which creates a knife edge finish and is quite fexible so you can bend it around different shapes .
Then after finishing the masking it was repainted after de greasing and tacking off .
Pheeeew ! Thats that little lot finished (again) .
This will now sit there and harden off fully over the course of the week and the only thing left to do to the exterior paintwork is to paint a thin white stripe along the waterline and then spray the clearcoat !
anyway enough waffle some pics ............

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2007, 09:51:34 am »

Hello Shane, pleased to note you have overcome the problems, looks fine now.

When you have time I would appreciate a close-up photo of the motor, ESC, wiring layout. Without sounding rude...what length is your propshaft/prop.

I have started my Triple, and now need to decide on the motor/prop, etc.

Keep posting, do you know of any boat related model shops in the Powys/Shropshire area, I live on the border, and obtain most boat items by mail order...Mick

slewis

« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2007, 06:48:56 pm »

Mick I have taken a load of pics from the plans for you showing all you ask  can you pm me your email address please and I will forward them to you .
PS 3.6mb so I hope you aint on dial up !

Shane

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2007, 04:56:50 pm »

Hello Shane, who/where did you purchase your motor/ESC/ batteries from?..... and is this setup powerful enough.

I have considered a twin motor arrangement, but I am not looking for speed...just as long as she moves along nicely...Mick

slewis

« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2007, 06:19:37 pm »

Hi Mick
I brought the motor and ESC from Westbourne models and the battery from Overlander .
As for is this set up powerfull enough ? I think it should be as its above and beyond what is reccomended for it by Dumas . Time will tell  ;)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2007, 06:24:45 pm »

What set up did you get Shane or is it a secret.

Got over the propshaft and rudder problem nicely, very neat.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

slewis

« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2007, 08:28:05 pm »

Hi Richard  Thanks for that   it turned out OK in the end  :D

set up is ........
Battery is a Tornado trc4300 nimh .9.6v pack.
On the front of the pack it says constant discharge 25-35 Amp . Burst (10 sec) discharge 35 Amp.

The motor is a Graupner speed 600 BB
Nominal voltage is 9.6V
range 7.2-12V
idle current drain approx 0.8A
current drain at max efficiency 6.6A
Blocking current drain 55A

The ESC is an Mtroniks viper marine 20
20 Amp current limit
6-12V input

Should be up to the job  ;)

Shane

slewis

« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2007, 04:51:38 pm »

Well as my long awaited trip to RAF Cosford today to go to the large model airshow there ,which is usually one of the best of the season , was cancelled due to the appaling weather .I took the opportunity to spend some more time on the build.
This is it the final coats of KlassKote clear finish.
KlassKote is an epoxy based clearcoat which is totally waterproof and fuelproof and sprays like a dream . So really it was the only choice for me as I have used it before to great effect.
So it had a quick rub down with 1200 wet and dry and then degreased and tacked off to remove any dust .
Then it was on with 3 coats of this with a 20 min flash off time between them .
This finish is rock hard once cured in about a week (even though touch dry in 1 hour ) .
So then it will be taken to work and if there are any marks in it caused by dust settling on it I can machine polish them out .

Phew No more rubbing down  ;D ;D

Shane

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2007, 05:24:33 pm »

Beautiful, wonderful finish you sure you haven't made one befor Shane.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2007, 05:30:52 pm »

hmmm - that is a superb finish - well done!
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2007, 07:21:15 pm »

Hello Shane, terrific finish, well done....I have ordered my motor and fittings, prop etc, from Westbourne, very helpful guy.

I have completed the basic structure, frames/keel, on my 'Triple'.....feeling well pleased...then noticed the keel at the bow had warped. Spent ages cutting through the side stringers and realigning the formers....finally satisfied that all is well. Thanks again for the photo's, of the motor/prop setup. I have gone for the single motor as this is my first build of this type. Keeping it simple....Mick

slewis

« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2007, 08:18:13 pm »

Thanks chaps comments are much appreciated .
No Richard this is my first ever go at boat building . I have been building planes for years though  ;) :D

Shane

slewis

« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2007, 10:21:51 pm »

Ok a small update here .........

I was disatisfied with a small part of the top deck which bothered me , if I didnt show you it you would never know it was bad but being the person I am I took it upon myself to rub it down again (knowing I would never be happy with it) and took the easy fix of taking it into work this morning and giving it (another) final coat of laquer in the spray booth (dust free) .
I will have a look in the morning before deciding its good enough for me to say enoughs enough and finish the build .
In the mean time I have been looking into how to upholster the seating on this one and after a few goes at trying to stick the faux leather onto the abs blanks I now realise that faux leather and evo stick dont get on at all ! The solvents melt the leather  :-\

So I have another plan which involves making ply backings for the seats and seatbacks and then stapeling the leather onto the ply .

Will it work ?   I dont now   but time will tell .

I have the next week off from work (from saturday) so hopefully I can get this finished .

Someone told me they sail in Netherton (about 10 mins away ) so if you are reading this can you reply and we can arrange a test sail of it later next week ?  Sorry I forget who it was  :-[

Shane

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2007, 10:54:29 pm »

what part of the country ??   Netherton there are a few.

Peter

slewis

« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2007, 11:34:08 pm »

netherton west mids
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.