Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumas Chris craft Triple  (Read 53034 times)

slewis

Re: Dumas Chris craft Triple
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2007, 07:26:43 pm »

Well I am happy with it now and am NOT going to rub it down again  ;D ;D

I have tested my method of applying the leather with staples and it looks like its going to be a go'er .I will assemble the seating this weekend and hopefully get the motorand working bits installed and working .

Shane

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2007, 08:08:58 pm »

That is utterly fantastic.      I'm speechless.  What a superb job. Well done

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2007, 08:20:48 pm »

heading over with paint stripper.
so jealous, wonderfull job
colin
grumpy old XXX

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2007, 08:30:32 pm »

Hi there, just wondering 'what did you serve your time as?   a French Polisher?  ;D' amazing truly amazing and just to think you are going to put that boat in the water - I would put it in a glass case surrounded by armed guards  ;D ;D

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

slewis

« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2007, 11:34:09 pm »

Thanks all
and just to think you are going to put that boat in the water
No other reason for building it really , just a load of wood and time spent for one reason only ,to sail her .
I have seen other builds on here that to be honest beggar belief in the detailing people use and I bow down to their vastly superior knowledge and experience .
To my mind the only thing this has that others dont (or the majority of them ) is a nice shiney exterior .

The build has been fun (I LOVE building) and at times hard work   but its just a model and the next one will be better  ;)

Shane

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2007, 10:02:45 am »

Wow  !!
What a finish Shane, you're not really going to get it wet ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2007, 10:07:46 pm »

Brilliant Shane.  Ive got my shades on and the finish is still dazzling me.   8) :P
Alan.

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2007, 08:34:40 pm »

Hello Shane, got my motor running, MFA850, ESC etc, the Chris Craft Triple is still a basic frame, am inspired by your finish. Will be interested in the cockpit seating arrangements and the construction thereof. Mick

slewis

« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2007, 09:27:21 pm »

Thanks for the nice comments chaps .
Today I started on the seating but had a bit of a disaster with my methods  ::) I successfully epoxied ply backs into the supplied plastic seats and then tried stapling the leather to them . Unfortunately my staple gun is a bit OTT for this type of thing and proceeded to break the ply when shooting a staple into it . Oh well I have tried another method , this time fitting birch rails around the hollow inside edge of the seat parts to take the pressure of the staple gun . These are drying at the moment so hopefully tomorrow I should have some pics to show . Then its time I got the leccy bits installed  ;)

Mick on those pics I sent you have a look at the layout of the battery esc and motor and you will see the main battery runs down one side of the hull . Is this normal ? seems to me that it would make the whole thing heavy on one side and make it list ! I am going to fit mine across the hull above the prop shaft against one of the frames unless someone has some reason why I shouldn't .

Thanks chaps

Shane

slewis

« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2007, 01:15:57 pm »

At last the seating is built and covered , Looks a lot better than painted plastic in my humble opinion  ;)

I will install these this afternoon I am currently waiting for the frames they sit on to set then they can be epoxied into place .

Shane

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2007, 05:47:24 pm »

Upholsterer as well, what next ?
nice neat job as usual.

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2007, 10:05:13 pm »

Hello Shane, the battery will provide a more stable balance 'across the boat', trial and error, plus the available space will dictate where you can place it, I expect there is a technical term in boats for this, as an aero modeller you will know how important the balance point is. You can get away with it up to a point in a boat. I have used an extra battery to achieve this in a 'Puffer' build.

Impressive seating.....make sure you can site all your electrics...have you run the motor yet...mind you with a finish like that I would just place it on the dinning room table....and admire. Mick

slewis

« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2007, 10:37:39 pm »

Thanks Mick  I will be placing the battery across the boat as was my original intention .

On the subject of CofG is there any way this can be worked out ? I have a formula for doing it with model planes and this would no way convert to model boats.
Boats must have a CofG as well and obviously the closer I can get to this the better . Any clues chaps ?

Shane

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2007, 08:34:29 pm »

Hello Shane, the only way I have balanced my boats, (just three of them) is to level them, on the water (bath) at the indicated waterline, shown on the plan. Worked fine, I guess fine tuning on the lake is the answer. We will now receive a definitive answer from someone who has the knowledge...Mick

slewis

« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2007, 05:33:05 pm »

Thanks Mick .

A bit more progress today and it seems like all the little small jobs are taking up most of the build time !

Anyway the seating has been fitted along with shelving in the cockpits and also fitted a dashboard and the steering wheel. Next up was the cockpit combing (sp?) which proved a nightmare to cut and fit to get right . Dumas show you how to cut the neoprene tube with a handy little self made jig arrangement but obviously do not make any allowances for how thick the deck is now its all been finished ! So in a couple of places its a little messy , but as its superglued on I cant remove it now .

So what to do ? Hmmmmmmm  if someone was sailing her he could put an arm out nice and relaxed to cover up the messy bit , and a bit of female company to do the same in the second cockpit could work . So off to toysrus and 2 willing participants were brought . Ok I am having to cut his legs down considerably but once in a pair of jeans you will never know !  ;D ;D ;D

Shane

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2007, 06:16:02 pm »

"I am having to cut his legs down considerably"  ..... I'm not sure....  does Shane's last post need moderating?   ;D[/color]
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

slewis

« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2007, 06:23:29 pm »

Darn I moderated the wrong bit !  ;D ;D

You think his legs are getting harsh treatment ! Wait till I start on his Head ! Anyone notice the stupid looking hat he has on ? Moulded into this head ! Thats gotta go .
I am not totally sure about using the figures at all really . He looks too cartoony to me .

Shane

slewis

« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2007, 04:46:14 pm »

Time to sort matey boys head out !
1st pic is of the stupid hat he has on , followed by its removal (leaving a hole in his head  :-\ ) So a small piece of balsa epoxied in and then P38 bodyfiller applied (pic 2) . After I sanded some life into it I painted it black to match the rest . It looks a bit wet around the edges but will be fine one dry (pic 3) .

Next up is the running gear installation and here I am going to be needing some help as I am unsure where to fit all the bits ! Battery , RX battery , Rx ,Esc and switches. Also where do you guys stick your aerials (No rude answers please  :P ) Easy in planes they just hang out the back . The aerial on this RX is longer than the boat ! Can I run it around the inside of the model i.e up one side and down the other ?

Shane

slewis

« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2007, 04:45:20 pm »

Right enough faffing about with the dolls ! Time to fit the electrics .
After a bit of trial and error I decided where I was going to place all the various bits and various tables were made up to keep them off the hull in case of water ingress. The tables were waterproofed and when dry epoxied into their respective positions. Then using velco straps they were all positioned into their final place . I had to make an extension lead up as the cable wasnt long enough to run from the ESC to the RX but That was about the only problem I encountered .
Then was the moment of truth . Would it or wouldnt it ?
Yes it ran well after I set up the ESC and apart from everything running backwards inc rudder it was all fine .So servoes reveresd on the TX and it runing as sweet as I think it should (having nothing to reference it to)
There is a Very small squeekwhen the shaft is running slowly but as I havent greased it yet its just metal on metal noise . This should dissapear once greased.

Next up after I put the lid on it was time to start on the deck fittings so I plumped for the hardest one first , the windshields. I dreaded drilling the deck and it was a definate case of measure 5 times drill once !
Holes were drilled then the plexiglass sheet they sent was cut to shape on the bandsaw and bench sander and I ended up with 2 identical screens .
I then spent an hour ripping the workshop apart to find the length of chromed c section to make the frames out of which "supposedly" comes in the kit ! NOT!
I think to myself dont worry do something else I can always buy a small length from LHS tomorrow. So I turn the page and there is a paragraph saying they dont use the c section anymore its self adhesive aluminium foil instead !

So thats cut and fitted and now the screens are bonding to their frames untill tomorrow.

Phew ! A good day  :D

Shane

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2007, 04:50:03 pm »

Right - thats it decided, any more wooden boats I build get sent to - - - where do you live Shane?- - - -for varnishing! ;D

Excellent job!

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2007, 04:59:37 pm »

Might have guessed the inside would be as neat as the outside.
Please dont put it in the water it might get scratched..

slewis

« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2007, 06:52:56 pm »

Thanks Ian !

Might have guessed the inside would be as neat as the outside.
Please dont put it in the water it might get scratched..

Hmmm been having a think there Richard  , it's not going to be as neat as it looks . I am going to move the main battery off that frame in the morning and lay it flat on the deck so it aint top heavy ! I think of things like this after I have finished !  ;D

Oh it will be getting wet tomorrow as its going in the fish pond ! I,ll probably drop it on the path on the way knowing me  ;)

Shane

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2007, 07:21:48 pm »

Hello Shane, neat layout...I located my battery across and on the hull floor, under the second cockpit.
Have you been able to fit your rudder servo.... close to the rudder itself.

Can't wait to see the 'Triple' on the water....underway...Mick

slewis

« Reply #148 on: August 03, 2007, 07:42:05 pm »

Yes Mick the rudder servo is hidden under a trap door at the stern
Apologies for the pic quality  :-\

Shane

slewis

« Reply #149 on: August 04, 2007, 04:28:27 pm »

Well I have moved stuff aorund a bit to getthe weight of that battery down on the floor so She aint top heavy .
I still have to add a bit of lead to the other side to stop her listing and when I find it I will do so !

Then it was a day of sticking all the various deck ornaments onto her .........

Thats it then .

FINISHED  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I know she hasnt got any flags on yet but the paper ones they supplied are not worth cutting from the sheet .
Also I know I said she was going in the fish pond today but that can wait till tomorrow as I want to get that lead in her first .

Shane
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.