Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tosher  (Read 6765 times)

thamestug

• Full Mayhemer
  • RAINHAM KENT
    • LONDON LIGHTERAGE TUGS
Tosher
« on: May 24, 2012, 04:21:52 pm »

Nearing completion 30inch Thames 'tosher'.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Tosher
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 06:25:50 pm »

Nice!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

thamestug

• Full Mayhemer
  • RAINHAM KENT
    • LONDON LIGHTERAGE TUGS
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 02:28:03 pm »

On trials at the lake

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 09:54:21 pm »

Very nice, full of character  :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:02:51 pm »

Very nice, full of character  :-))

Definitely.    O0

and what camera are you using... Great quality!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 10:27:49 pm »

Super, :-)) are you going to have some lighters or barges to go with her ?
..well can you land on this?

thamestug

• Full Mayhemer
  • RAINHAM KENT
    • LONDON LIGHTERAGE TUGS
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 12:02:16 pm »

Thanks for the kind words guys. Jacko is built on a plastic vacform hull that cost about £13. As supplied hull had flat transom stern so that was modified. Powered by Graupner 500E motor running on 4.5ah 6volt battery. Action electronics distribution board and ESC and Planet Tx and Rx.
I am working on a plan to build a lighter with a large enough hold to carry JACKO inside it  to and from the lake with probably a couple of plastic containers in the barge to fill with water for ballast lakeside. The current somewhat muddled thinking is to use a redundant plastic flower trough for the hold and build out from there but we will see how it goes.
The camera is a Fujifilm Finepix S9600 with a x10 zoom lens as supplied. I do run the pics through my Corel photo editing programme just to crop and slightly adjust if needed.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 09:57:31 pm »

Your paint job is very nice too - how did you choose to weather it.

Dave

thamestug

• Full Mayhemer
  • RAINHAM KENT
    • LONDON LIGHTERAGE TUGS
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 03:26:03 pm »

Dave
This was supposed to be a very quick, very cheap build for my twelve year old grand son. I bought a very cheap vac-formed hull and to be honest there were a fair number of dents etc in it. I really did not have the time or inclination to keep filling and smoothing so decided in the end to fill the worst and treat the dents as hard work scars and also weather it to make it look a little run down. These toshers had a very hard life in the London Dock system, pushing their way through lighters etc and rarely looked pristine for long. I therefore created a few more scars of various colours with the end of a cocktail stick to make it look as tho she had rubbed along the sides of lighters etc and when dry faded them out a little with some very fine wet and dry. I then airbrushed Humbrol acrylic rust paint over it in various places and some emerald green along the waterline. [First time i have ever used an air-brush in my life. I had searched for a decent book about airbrushing and in the end settled on one that was aimed at Railway Modellers but it proved extremly useful.] Anway when all was dry i airbrushed a coat of ronseal matt varnish with a couple of drops of black in it all over. When finished I thought it looked a bit garish but it seemed to tone down as it dried. I am quite pleased with the end result, it has provoked some good comments from the club members and I am not sure if grandson will get to keep it after all!!!

PS 'er indoors' knitted the fenders out of green garden string which were then dunked in hot bleachy water and then 'distressed' with a wire brush.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 06:26:32 pm »

A brilliant model, took me back a few years, these tosher tugs where as you said the the handmaidens which kept the London river/dock trade moving. Used to see them regulary be pulling a set of barges astern up and down the river with the tide.

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 06:47:23 pm »

Thats my kind of tug! intact when i saw the first picture i instantly though it was a model of a tosher called the BROWNIE. make sure when you tow craft you hold them up short! some of the really small toshers i worked on had mirrors up the mast so you could see back over the craft.
Again well done a loverly model.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 08:02:13 pm »

the really small toshers i worked on had mirrors up the mast so you could see back over the craft.
That's a nice little gem of information - any pics of your time on them?

Dave

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 06:05:51 pm »

I have had a ferret through some pictures and found this one, here is a picture of the Arthur Darling the mirror can be seen up the folding mast. when i worked on her for another owner I was towing up through Hammersmith bridge (lowest on the tidal Thames) and had forgotten to drop the mast down for some reason probably as i was rushing to get the last of the flood tide and I under estimated the hight, Hammersmith bridge is lower on the upper side only by a few inches. one minuet it was THUMP THUMP THUMP of the 3cyl blackstone engine, next it was CRASH! 7 YEARS BAD LUCK!
my guvnor was NOT impressed!

thamestug

• Full Mayhemer
  • RAINHAM KENT
    • LONDON LIGHTERAGE TUGS
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 03:28:52 pm »

Couple of final pics, one with the lid off. [The cabin top secures with a screw down the funnel] Mirror to be added to mast later. I doubt if any lighterman would need the map of the Thames!! The two eyebolts on the front of the planked bandstand unscrew which allows the bandstand to be removed, giving access via a screwed cover to the rudder servo and rudder post. The tea cup is a piece of plastic tubing filled with wood filler. The skippers seat pulls off its base to reveal the on/off switch.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 08:40:37 pm »

I really like this tug of yours - Loads of character.
Where did you get the hull from? Might be a nice project for the future.
Have you thought of doing a larger one?

Dave

thamestug

• Full Mayhemer
  • RAINHAM KENT
    • LONDON LIGHTERAGE TUGS
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 03:24:33 pm »

The hull is a Mobile Marine Models 'x' hull and cost about £13 from MMM. As i said previously as delivered it had a flat transom stern which was modified by laminating some ply and cutting roughly to rounded stern shape and glueing and screwing through transom after fitting a stiffening piece of ply inside. I then covered to outside with Isopon and smoothed it into shape and blended into hull. See pics. As supplied the hull is a bit flimsy and I think definitely needs an inner keel and bulkheads to stiffen it up. It also took a fair bit of ballast to get her down to marks so NO I dont think I will build a larger one!

One of the guys in the club [Chantry]  recently sent me the pic of her under way which I have included.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 05:12:30 pm »

Makes a lovely change from all those "Tid" tugs.  Unless I've missed something, what scale is it at? Lovely job. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

thamestug

• Full Mayhemer
  • RAINHAM KENT
    • LONDON LIGHTERAGE TUGS
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 11:52:12 am »

Hi Bryan

Scale is about 1:16.

thamestug

• Full Mayhemer
  • RAINHAM KENT
    • LONDON LIGHTERAGE TUGS
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 05:05:19 pm »

Jacko towing flattop barge currently under construction

Tim B.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 04:49:40 am »

This is The Coolest Tug, I want to research this lot now....

I have a GRP Bankert hull that might work well for this !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.