Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntsman hull.  (Read 4843 times)

zetec

• Full Mayhemer
Huntsman hull.
« on: June 22, 2007, 08:13:27 am »

Anyone know where I can get a moulding for a Huntress hull? I know I can get the Huntman kit but from what I've read I suspect I will end up not using 50%.  Not looking for 100% scale, as long as it is similar.

Thanks in advance.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Huntsman hull.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 12:49:25 pm »

Hi zetec,
I've been model boating for a lot of years now, but have never seen a Huntress Hull or kit offered.
If you manage to get any info that's not posted on here, could you add it to this thread as I would also like one. X list plans have a Fury which is similar but not a V hull.

Good luck
Bob

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 01:03:10 pm »

I take it you have seen this site .?? the huntress was just a 23 foot version of the huntsman  (i think) so you may well be able to start with a huntsman hull and cut it down there are some plans for the huntsman about so you may be able to build from them . I built a VERON 42 " huntsman  a long long time ago and had a gannet in it .it sailed very nice but was not as good in rough weather as my aerokits swordsman. it looks like a nice idea to build a huntress ,they always looked good in the bond films.

Peter

http://www.faireyownersclub.co.uk/

zetec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 01:46:39 pm »

I live near the Motor Boat museum and they have the boat used in Bond film so plenty of material to work with.  :D.

Build the boat and I might get the girl. :P

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 02:15:20 pm »

Hi zetec & HS93,

I have visited the  Fairy site on many occasions, I was always confused as to the naming of Fairy boats.
As far as I am can work out, the hull form, deep or shallow V is the governing factor as to it being a Hunts or Swords Man, as the length or cabin design does not indicate the boat model. This is shown clearly on the Faireyownersclub site.

That's why the huntress could be different. I'm sure there is someone out there who would know the angle of V for the various names.

As an aside, I was reading Classic Boat Mag the other day, and there is a new Huntsman/Swordsman now being produced.
I can't give exact details as I was given about twenty mags, and I can't remember which issue it was in.
If I can find it I will post more details.

Although I live up north, my son lives in Billericay just down the road the the Motor Boat Museum but can I 'ellaslike' get him to go there and run off a roll off film for me.

Bob

cdsc123

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 02:49:33 pm »

The new full size boats;
http://www.pbo.co.uk/pbo/boatcheck.html
Regarding the model, rather than cutting down the Swordsman (or Huntsman) hull, why not simply recalculate the scale of the new model to suit an existing unmodified hull? I cannot imagine anyone will judge it by the angle of the vee, all the designs had a fairly deep vee running all the way aft.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 04:12:54 pm »

It will be intersting to see a true scale Huntsman / Huntress etc!
Don't think I've ever seen one and I've seen hundreds of models of them!
It's always the the window frame sizes that lets them down....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

OneBladeMissing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Man overboard! Leave Him! (Eric Sykes)
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 04:25:42 pm »

BobF, I don't understand what you're getting at with the naming of Fairey boats.   Huntress is the tiddler at 23 feet with an aft cockpit. I seem to recall reading about 25-footers also being built.   Huntsman 28 is 28 feet, as the name implies (but I believe the actual hull length may be 28.5 feet), mostly aft cockpit but I think a few aft cabin boats were built.  Huntsman 31 at 31 feet was built with aft cockpits or aft cabins, and I think later boats were built with GRP hulls.  Swordsman was 33 feet, but some versions were made up to 42 feet long. They were built with aft cockpits or aft cabins.  Super Swordsman, also at 33 feet, has GRP hull and full-height aft cabin roof. All GRP boats are Spearfish/Spear at 30 feet, and the Fantome at 32 feet, the hull of which appeared to be a slightly bigger version of the Huntsman 31.  
Huntress and Huntsman 28 share similar hull-form, while the rest of the range have similar heavily-flared bows.

All very nice boats, but I wouldn't like to pay for the upkeep of one, especially the all-wood ones!  
"Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by ..... or a short ship and a GPS!"

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 08:10:04 pm »

Hi OneBladeMissing,

With regard to the name confusion. Some people say that the Swordsman is the aft cockpit version and the Huntsman is the centre cockpit version.

As you said, the Swordsman name applies to several versions and lengths as does the Huntsman so why any particular name.
This is why I came to the conclusion that it must be the hull design.

It's a bit like trying to convince people that don't know, that an Alsatian is the same breed as a German Shepheard dog.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 08:25:29 pm »

If you all look at the web site HS93 has put on here, it has really good photos of all the Fairey cruisers ::)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 01:22:36 am »

I know you want a fiberglass hull but If you decide to convert or build a hull there may be some Huntress plans about, although they may only be outline from some of the better warship plan people as 23 boats went to the MoD / Admiralty for use as Captain's motor boats on County class destroyers, Aircraft Carriers, Assault ships and other harbour duties. , after looking at the pictures again it looks like the rear deck area on the huntsman and huntress are about the same but the huntress has a shorter cabin area,The only fiberglass hull I have been able to find is the one from Anglia models, and that is of the newer 31 which has a very different hull shape.

Peter

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 11:21:58 pm »

Here is my Huntsman 28. It has a long way to go with the cosmetic refurb, I have just got the mechanics working right. I have posted another thread, as I am struggling finding any chrome plated fittings. This will be my 2nd boat, and by far the biggest project, so expect many "newbie" questions!
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5885707 the real thing!

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5885706 my project

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5885705 sought after chrome bits!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.