Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Limited Cost Racing Class Proposal  (Read 16786 times)

Rob_g

• Shipmate
Re: Limited Cost Racing Class Proposal
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2007, 02:18:26 pm »

I will be more than happy to have a go at one of these with a straight 40/45 if anyone else in the north fancies a go??

Regards

Rob

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2007, 06:58:33 pm »

HI Rob,

I will do it. With the Prestwich Monza Hull, I will see how many Dave has to sell. We need to agree a few things first though:

1. Motor  - type
2. Tuned pipe - yes or no
3. Radio - can we agree 2 channel basic radio?
4. Race format - oval or FSRV - duration of race.
5. Minimum people numbers - not much point in just you and me having a race!!
6. Insurance - MPBA should cover it OK.

Look forward to any responses.

Glenn

I think it will take me about four weeks to have a boat ready to go with my current work commitments. I take it there is water at Sheffield where they could run?

Rob_g

• Shipmate
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2007, 09:27:44 am »

Hi Glen

Yes there is a lake we can use at Rothervalley country park. The model boating lake was designed by the Sheffield Ship Model Society and is only 3 and a bit feet deep apart from a channel that runs through it.

I did a quick google search and found a rear induction front exhaust irvine 46 for £129 may be this could be a good starting point.

I agree with the 2 servo limit ie rudder and throttle only.

Tuned pipe yes

I could probably get one put together in 6ish weeks so there will still be some summer left for fun!

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2007, 11:06:46 am »

Hi Rob,

it's getting there then.

Engine wise I've asked just engines if they still do the Leo Marine .46 or .40 with the pull start, the idea being to keep costs down. They do pipes for them.

Dave Marles is going to let me know tomorrow how many Monza Hulls he has left.

Two Channel radio good.

All that leaves is:

Race format.

Some others to get involved. Anyone else out there fancy committing to have a go?

Glenn.

retro boats

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2007, 11:14:09 am »

hi all
 down south (portsmouth) our rules where simple
1 motor   -  side port 46 engines or rear induction 40s mainly to stop expensive CMB 45 being used (have talked about out of production 45s )
2  tuned pipe   - yes  the bryn bach boys say aircraft silencers snap off
3 radio   - 2 ch only  
4 race format - as lake permits we use 2 lakes 1 a  L shaped m coarse the other oval both raced clockwise
insurance - mpba
fuel  - max of 5% nitro

hope you get a good responce maybe a add on ebay could help
 i have sold 7 o 8 direct drive 40-46 boats on ebay i the last 2-4 years & have seen many more for sale   now hidden away probably!

i was told leo 45 pullstarts a no longer stocked witch is a shame

good luck steve

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2007, 02:41:09 pm »

its a pitty you couldnt have gone a bit smaller as there are lots of great cheap motors out there such as the .25 chung yang or the sts .28 for very cheap prices.i think you will struggle to get a good cheap .40 or.46 engine.also i think the sts.28 would probably out perform a lot of the .40 engines your talking about unless your going for a propper race engine.simon off here has one in a boat and all it needs is a flywheel that are available on that site i believe.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STS-CMB-JP-NOVAROSSI-SH-OS-RB-SIRIO-BOAT-28-GAS-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ6010925661QQihZ009QQcategoryZ116075QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

retro boats

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2007, 12:08:06 pm »

hi all
 no problem with cheap 46 motors not much more expensive than the sts 28 the SC 46 & leo 46 are only £70 & comes with flywheel silencer + toolkit just engines also keep spares as well so you wont be off the water for long they also do a manifold +pipe as well
                                               steve

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2007, 04:34:18 pm »

forgot about the sc range but they are not race engines and i bet the sts .28 would wipe the floor(lake) with it  ;D pluss it has a pull start.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2007, 01:50:56 am »

Just engines came back to me and, as someone already stated, the Leo .40 / .46 is no longer available in pull start.

Glenn

retro boats

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2007, 01:30:46 pm »

hi glen
did dave say how many monza hulls he had left?

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2007, 11:17:03 pm »

Not as yet, I will chase him again for the answer, he did say he can make as many as we need though!!

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2007, 11:20:07 am »

pitty he cant help a bit more  as it would make things easier for you guys if a seller would put a package together after all dave sells the sc range of engines and all the hardware etc?come on dave give the guys some help it makes good buisness sense  ;).

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2007, 12:40:30 pm »

Just so you are aware, I have commnicated with Dave Marles, Ian @ Ians boats, the MPBA and many others. To a man they have all been very helpful and positive about this, relaying past experience with attempts that have gone before.

I have once again asked Dave how many hulls he has and I am sure he will come back to me, he does get busy like we all do.

I will post his response here.

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2007, 02:40:19 pm »

surely it makes sense for him or someone to put a package together for these guys? otherwise hes gonna lose a few sales ,a hulls one thing a full setup is another?.maybe once you know exactly how many you want you could ask him to give you a quote on a few rtr packages or almost rtr without radio gear ect?.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2007, 05:47:09 pm »

Just so you are aware, I have commnicated with Dave Marles, Ian @ Ians boats, the MPBA and many others. To a man they have all been very helpful and positive about this, relaying past experience with attempts that have gone before.

I have once again asked Dave how many hulls he has and I am sure he will come back to me, he does get busy like we all do.

I will post his response here.

Glenn

OK, I have had the response now, and unfortunately, he has no more other than the one that remains on ebay.

Glenn

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2007, 07:16:11 pm »

A good initiative that seems to be getting some backing, this low cost racing could be fun  ;D However it seems that there is a bit of stick being given where it's not really deserved  :( There are limited suppliers of hulls and limited supplies of hulls. It seems (from reading this thread) that the overall official feeling is "been there, done that, didn't work to well"... I am quite sure that once you have rules in place and an idea of numbers then deals can be made but I would expect a minimum commitment of x hulls. (A similar thing is happening on International Waters with the initial stages of a large tunnel hull class.)
A regards RTR or ARTR I suspect the low cost aspect would disappear if Dave Marles, Ian Folkeson or any other professional put time into putting these hulls together. If you want low cost you have to be prepared to do work yourself.....or persuade the Chinese to make the whole thing  ;D

Yeah, I know I'm in Sweden and it really doesn't affect me BUT if this takes off then it could be transferable to other markets. I know that a similar attempt has been considered here. Good luck with the endeavour.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2007, 01:12:19 pm »

wasnt meaning to be giving stick to anyone  ::) china is a good option if you can buy in bulk i know the guy my mate was talking to about hulls had a factory that made arrowshark type hulls and could supply gpum clones too.might be worth a try if anyone has the money for the initial outlay  ;D.i have some pics but they are in bitmap does anyone know how to change them to jpeg?.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2007, 06:51:42 pm »

Just returned from a weekends racing as Race Leader. You want a cheap easy way to get into racing then Thunder Tiger have just come out with a new RTR. I saw this boat this weekend hydro World Champion Jörgen Andersson, who consulted on the boat was competing with a borrowed boat in FSR-V.
The new RTR is a tunnel hull with a 3,5 outboard, everything is there except batteries and starter, see a picture here http://www.hobby.se/index.php?action=m2&id=1&huvudID=1&temav=normal&temac=sennr&temah=normal&fotID=1&stilmall=stilmall-A.php Better pictures to come...
What do you think????

omra85

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2007, 07:20:44 pm »

Ian
If it's the same as the American ones, they come without the engine and radio which although most of the donkey work is done, does bump up the price.
I helped a bloke get his new RTR cat going  a couple of weeks ago.  I think that was called a "Thunder".  Went OK for a cheap starter and would definitely be fun if racing against other boats of that make.
I would love to see the 27" Aquacraft in a few UK model shops.  When you got tired of class racing, you could enter OMRA "AA" class events and probably give a good account of yourself.
Danny
(do we have to call you "mighty leader" or some such now)  ;D ;D ;D

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2007, 09:22:16 pm »

COMPLETE and built in the box including their Jaguar radio, motor and stand, except batteries and starter. Very nice looking RTR, not sure of the price picture but it was not expensive, I think I heard 3900kr mentioned so around £300

Competition Director, is better I suppose, I don't race FSR-V just run some of the races, computer and all that jazz  ;) So just "Sir" will do or you get penalty laps ;D

3,5cc FSR-V, after 30 mins racing we had 3 guys on the same lap and within 5 seconds of each other, GOOd tight racing ;D

Rob_g

• Shipmate
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2007, 09:04:49 am »

Hi Guys

Has anyone had any thoughts on where to go next ? It would be a shame to loose the interest people have shown allready. I for one would be more interested in building a boat than an RTR!

Regards

Rob

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2007, 07:25:38 pm »

Hi Guys

Has anyone had any thoughts on where to go next ? It would be a shame to loose the interest people have shown allready. I for one would be more interested in building a boat than an RTR!

Regards

Rob

build same one as mine and stick a nice weedy engine in it and have a blast i do 35 mph pluss with an almost stock engine and no pipe ,runs quiet and is loads of fun and all for less than £150 including radio gear  ;D.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DkwfMavcqQ

retro boats

« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2007, 12:58:50 pm »

hi all
 have just found this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160133844935&rd=1&rd=1

mat be another option  has pullstart engine also comes as a bare hull + radio box so you could build your own
                                                 steve
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.