Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: EUROVISION !!!!  (Read 7599 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
EUROVISION !!!!
« on: May 27, 2012, 09:21:00 am »

Isn't it about time we stopped wasting out time, effort and money supporting this totally politically biased contest...............after last night's debacle it's an embarrasment to our pop industry that some silly old grannies can come second and a world class crooner can come second to last.
I reckon even one of Simon Cowel's troop couldn't do better, the wat we are thought of in Europe!!

When are we going to stop putting our artists in the firing line to become laughing stocks >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

ACTion

Re: EUROVISION !!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 09:32:04 am »

Couldn't agree more, old thing. Apart from everything else the pre-show hype has proved to be hugely embarrassing.  I reckon if it were possible to ressurect George Harrison and John Lennon and enter the Beatles they'd still come last. I cheer myself with the thought that there's actually one country in the world which, although not in Europe, would consistently come bottom with nil points if entered - and they invented rock and roll!
DM

Raymond

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 09:41:28 am »

Couldn't agree more, old thing. Apart from everything else the pre-show hype has proved to be hugely embarrassing.  I reckon if it were possible to ressurect George Harrison and John Lennon and enter the Beatles they'd still come last. I cheer myself with the thought that there's actually one country in the world which, although not in Europe, would consistently come bottom with nil points if entered - and they invented rock and roll!
DM

exactly right ACTion thats why Idon't waste my time watching it.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 10:23:07 am »

Only flicked on it now and again to make sure we had not secured any votes , but it is in general quite amazing that you can almost guess who is going to give who what points, especially with the Eastern European countries, but was surprised that a lot of them voted Sweden !!

Do we pump money into it still ?, I thought the hosting nation paid for it, at least as a founding member of the Song Contest no matter how badly we score we can never be kicked out, and the Artists only have to say no I don't wish to do it.

What are the ratings in the UK

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 10:36:15 am »

I too wonder what the viewing figures were ....but then again if Channel X were to screen a multi car pile up live on tv, the ratings would be sky high !  It's called 'morbid curiosity'

Sort of a car crash in slow motion  set to music !
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 11:16:11 am »

Successfully missed out on it yet another year.  O0 O0
There are two wonderful inventions to keep in mind - one is the red button that turns the TV off.  The other is the book, reading, people, for the use of.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 11:47:04 am »

They say bad things always come in three's, Eurovision, Olympics and Euro football.  - - - - FOURS, forgot Wimblydon.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 12:26:30 pm »

Only flicked on it now and again to make sure we had not secured any votes , but it is in general quite amazing that you can almost guess who is going to give who what points, especially with the Eastern European countries, but was surprised that a lot of them voted Sweden !!

Do we pump money into it still ?, I thought the hosting nation paid for it, at least as a founding member of the Song Contest no matter how badly we score we can never be kicked out, and the Artists only have to say no I don't wish to do it.

What are the ratings in the UK

The UK, France, Germany and Italy are all guaranteed places in the Final of the annual jumping, shoiuting and screaming show as a consquence of being the largest contributors to Eurovision. Time to call it a day.

Barry M

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 01:10:50 pm »

LET ME PUT THIS STRAIGHT FOR THE RECORD............ {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

I didn't watch it even for 1 second..gave up watching 20 years ago.........
just looked up google this morning to see if we'd come last.............sadly we were even beaten to that spot by Norway... {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 01:54:23 pm »

I thought a couple of the songs were OK.......

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 02:46:07 pm »

They say bad things always come in three's, Eurovision, Olympics and Euro football.  - - - - FOURS, forgot Wimblydon.

Regards  Ian.

Add any football, all horseracing, all soaps, all reality shows, all x factor type things, the coronation, the olympics, any wildlife programme which is obsessed with something killing something else (which is most of them), any science documentary that assumes the viewer knows nothing (which means that they never get far & is all of them except "the sky at night") .................................

I am afraid that TV is the lowest common denominator viewing medium & that it reflects the average common man/woman. If nobody watched them they wouldn't broadcast them unless they were told to do so to boost the public perception of something - like the jubilee & olympic build ups are about convincing us all about how important they are. Most people will fall for it!

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 03:04:07 pm »

all x factor type things

Nay, come on, at least on "Britains got talent" the Dog won it.    O0

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 03:52:02 pm »

I too wonder what the viewing figures were ....but then again if Channel X were to screen a multi car pile up live on tv, the ratings would be sky high !  It's called 'morbid curiosity'

Sort of a car crash in slow motion  set to music !

{-) {-) {-)

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 05:23:35 pm »

With a younger teenage daughter it was a family night in front of the TV. Sweden is wild about Eurovision with 4 heats and a final to select the entry. I managed to watch all the entries and my 1/2 were Russia and then Sweden, the only 2 with a bit of life in them. Fortunately I fell asleep before the voting started  :-)) Awoke this morning to find that my prediction wasn't far off, Sweden followed by Russia. My local paper coined a new word, "Loreenastående" roughly "Loreen + outstanding" to describe the final result......
This unfortunately means that next year the whole wagon train comes to Sweden.

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 09:40:23 pm »

Ive never understood the whole thing if im honest. Why can't we just use a proper pop star that can sing without autotune? or is the fact we can't, the point?

It is embarrassing and I watched bits of it in the car while on my journeys and its safe to say i wont be watching again...

Dave13

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 11:16:04 pm »

Successfully missed out on it yet another year.  O0 O0
There are two wonderful inventions to keep in mind - one is the red button that turns the TV off.  The other is the book, reading, people, for the use of.

Yeah I went over to my friends flat to play some Play Station 3  :-)  :-)

Dave:)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 06:03:26 am »

The last good Eurovision this one won
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZECTyr1gfc
The one and only time I have voted

before that was this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVvz7NA28CM
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

FsASTSyd1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 07:14:34 am »

Think the last time I drummed up enough enthusiasm to watch was longer ago than I can remember but our representative might have been Sandie Shaw. %% {-) :-))

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 10:03:13 am »

Think the last time I drummed up enough enthusiasm to watch was longer ago than I can remember but our representative might have been Sandie Shaw. %% {-) :-))

Not to make you feel old but that was before I was born! :)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 10:29:05 am »

Sandie Shaw ?  The first Eurovision I watched was in 1961 where the UK entry The Allisons "AreYou Sure" came second.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVChwqIB72M&feature=related

Congratulations to Sweden.  Good song.  However, I felt that Englebert's song deserved far better than second to last
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 04:33:44 pm »

It's time for the BEEB to give up on this farce every year and save the licence payers money for better things, decent UK drama for instance not yankee rubbish or failing that bring back Wogan, Norton is hopeless..
The voting is so politically biased that it is a joke, Greece will vote for Cyprus and Cyprus for Greece neither will vote for Tukey, etc. All the ex-USSR countries voted for mother Russia and ex Yugoslav countries voted for each other, etc. The UK has waged war with probably everyone in Europe in our history so we shouldn't expect any thing else. Sweden won not because of the song and it was awful, but there was much worse, but because Sweden hasn't offended anybody.

The up side to losing is that we don't have to host it, thank goodness. It was reported that the Spanish singer was under instruction not to win as they couldn't afford to host it if they did win.

Good on you Russian Grannies they should have won, at least Englebert had some eye candy.

Richtea

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 04:57:57 pm »

The last time that I watched this "contest" the winners sang something about "Kippers for tea" :}
( or at least that was what it sounded like, I was in an hospital bed at the time, and had no control over what was on )   {:-{
Regards
Richard
SI VIS PACEM,
PARA BELLUM

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 05:58:40 pm »

The last time that I watched this "contest" the winners sang something about "Kippers for tea" :}
( or at least that was what it sounded like, I was in an hospital bed at the time, and had no control over what was on )   {:-{
Regards
Richard
Odd, really, how some of these songs are better remembered for their spoof.  Or not, as the case may be.  That improvement was by Bob (nearly famous) Williamson, along with his ballads about Hollands Meat Pies and the story of West Houghton Doris.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 06:16:18 pm »

Watching, as I was with incredulity, those two Irish monsters...Jedward...two questions spring to mind

If they really had to combine their two names, couldn't they have chosen a name more suitable to their act ?   ie   TWICK

And if the latest fad of combining first and last names   ie   Subo = Susan Boyle   and FloJo = Florence Joiner and Brangelina = Brad and Angelina...

How come Pete Doherty hasn't joined in so far ?

just wondered !
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 08:39:49 pm »

Never watched it and never will do.  But I have had the misfortune to hear a clip of the Humps song on tv.  Lets face it,  forget about political block voting, neighbours scratchng each others backs, everyone hating the UK etc, the UK song was absolutely dire drivel of the worst kind!!  It deserved to be last.
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.