Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Port and Stbd lights  (Read 8537 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Port and Stbd lights
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 03:02:30 am »

Yes....here she is ..."North Head"...just approaching the Opera House & I am sure with her running lights RED & GREEN on  O0 ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 05:38:10 am »

Ah memories.  :-)) :-))

Now all we need is a photo of the mothball fleet and all is complete. O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 12:05:42 pm »

Remember taking a trip over to the other side of the harbour in the 60's - that's about it ! can't remember the name of the ferry or where we went, except there was an aquarium next to where we got off !

Mike

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 01:56:31 pm »

Remember taking a trip over to the other side of the harbour in the 60's - that's about it ! can't remember the name of the ferry or where we went, except there was an aquarium next to where we got off !

Mike

Mike,

That was at Manly.

The two ferries, South Steyne and North head only traveled the Circular quay to Manly run.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 12:39:14 am »

The two ferries, South Steyne and North head only traveled the Circular quay to Manly run.

The Curl Curl and the Dee Why (both named after Sydney beaches) were two other Manly steam ferries I remember. They were built by Napier and Miller of Glasgow in 1928, and sailed to Australia via the Suez Canal under their own power.

The current diesel powered Manly fleet consists of four vessels, all named after some of Sydney's northern beaches, Queenscliff, Collaroy, Narrabeen and Freshwater, and all built in the Newcastle NSW area.

This video of the Freshwater crossing Sydney Heads in rough weather is worth a look. I have been on a Many ferry in similar conditions, and it's quite a ride O0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skQeGxFnyCA and another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZoSJ6blBRk&feature=related

Peter.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 07:12:40 am »

Peter,

Those were the days, often got a soaking standing outside on a bad day on the older ferries, Curl Curl, Dee Why, North Head or South Steyne.

Back then you would wait and choose which ferry to ride on and if a glutton for punishment go back and forth on the same ferry for another run.

Don't suppose it would be allowed these days.

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2012, 07:04:50 am »

Hi guys not 100% sure but I believe the timber panels near the running lights on double ended ferries were slid over to cover when approaching from astern
Cheers
John

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2012, 08:23:52 am »

No they don't. Still green and red, but as far as I know the arcs of visibility don't apply. The main light on an aircraft is the anti-collision light....the bright red flashing thing. BY.

Arcs of visibility do apply to aircraft Brian - for the same reason they do on boats.  Not sure why you say the 'main light on an aircraft is the anti-collision light' though {:-{

Mark.
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2012, 09:12:56 am »

Arcs of visibility do apply to aircraft Brian - for the same reason they do on boats.  Not sure why you say the 'main light on an aircraft is the anti-collision light' though {:-{

Mark.
Probably the biggest, brightest and most noticeable, apart from the landing lights when they come on.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2012, 11:51:23 am »

Not sure why you say the 'main light on an aircraft is the anti-collision light' though

Because at aircraft speeds (typically 10x ship speeds) by the time you can see the nav lights it'll be far too late.
The rule is basically the same though - if it's coming at you you both turn to starboard to avoid colliding.

wbeedie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 04:03:04 pm »

Speaking of the North Heador the South Steyne , it was a relaative of mine who took one of them over over to Australia , and at the time it was some sort of record for the passage

wbeedie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2012, 07:06:38 pm »

Further to last post it was the South Steyne commanded by Captain Robert Mitchell Beedie MBE and he would have been my third cousin but have been trying to find the info of how the record was attained

Pedder and Mylchreest Ltd. of London was entrusted the task of delivering the ship 12,000 miles to Sydney. Captain R. M. Beedie was the master for the sixty-four day voyage. During the voyage, the South Steyne performed well and found no difficulty in the monsoonal conditions.
http://leithbuiltships.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/ship-no-267.html

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 12:16:30 pm »

:-))wbeadie thanks so much for the great post I grew up in Edinburgh so nice to read now about the shipping industries there as I was too young to know about them
Thanks
John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.