Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: OTW S Class  (Read 9257 times)

ex docky

• Full Mayhemer
OTW S Class
« on: May 28, 2012, 05:31:51 pm »

Hi,

I am building an OTW S class and will shortly be thinking about a colour scheme.

The only pictures I can find are in black and white.

I quite fancy the "camouflage" effect i.e. the diagonal stripes across the casing - does anyone have info as to the actual colours used?

Thanks
ex docky

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
Re: OTW S Class
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:15:05 pm »

Hi,

I know the book 'British Submarines 1939-45 (New Vanguard)' is a good reference source or the Submarine museum in Gosport (ex HMS Dolphin) maybe of help.

regards,

Rich
Regards,

Rich

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 01:47:50 pm »

Hi, I'm also building one at the mo I will have a look at some of the photos as I'm sure I have a couple in colour. I will have a look later and let you know. Tom

Kazzer

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 11:52:24 pm »

If the  boat was operating out of Trimcomalee (Ceylon) then the above waterline color was Brunswick Green (Hunter Green?) and the below waterline was a dirty brown.  I was personally told this by the 1st Lt of HMS Sibyl Stephen Jenner. The sea in that part of the world was a dark green.

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:28:24 pm »

I remember a model of an s class sub, in the museum at Gosport. That had the colour scheme that you are interesed in. It was built by the captain of the actuall boat, so it must be very close to the reall colours, worh a look if you can. From what I can remember, it was Brunswick green and Maybe, duck egg shell green upper surfaces.

roedj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 06:59:42 pm »

Please forgive the slight high jack here...

Can someone please tell me if the "U" and "V" class subs would have used a similar color scheme while serving in the Med.? Or, possibly, would they have used more of a 'blue-ish' color for the above the water line bits?

Thanks for your time,

Dan

Andy_k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 06:24:02 am »

U class serving in the med were paint Mediterranean blue above the water line :-))
Right which one will I do next?;)

roedj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 01:42:21 pm »

Murky Buckets...

And now back to your regular programming.

Dan

unseen

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 09:27:34 pm »

Third Group S Class Boats operating in the Far Eastern theater during WWII were painted two shades of green which was standard colours during that period.  HMS/m Storm is well documented wearing this camouflage.  A dark green and light green which would be close to a lime colour

Regards

Kazzer

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 01:32:58 pm »

Third Group S Class Boats operating in the Far Eastern theater during WWII were painted two shades of green which was standard colours during that period.  HMS/m Storm is well documented wearing this camouflage.  A dark green and light green which would be close to a lime colour

Regards

Stephen Jenner told me that the captain's had the final say in a boat's color scheme, and he then chose from what was available on the depot ship. So, it would appear that every boat could be slightly different. Unless you have conclusive proof of a color scheme, then its all guesswork!

At least we know the colors of Sibyl and Storm.

unseen

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 06:26:49 pm »

Perhaps you should read Teddy Young's book "One of our Submarines"  (HMS/m STORM) I knew Teddy well before he sadly passed away. Or perhaps David Hill and not forgetting John Lambert both maritime draughtsmen on British Submarines whom again I know quite well. Perhaps Robin Hinson, a past photographer for the Royal Navy Submarine Museum, with I may add has one of the largest privately owned photographic and submarine drawing collections in the UK.   There are of course numerous reference books dating over the years which, if you read them refer to the colour schemes for the various areas for operations during WWII  You must not forget however, there are those whom study the subject of submarines of the Royal Navy.

Kazzer

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 03:43:15 am »

Perhaps you should read Teddy Young's book "One of our Submarines"  (HMS/m STORM) I knew Teddy well before he sadly passed away. Or perhaps David Hill and not forgetting John Lambert both maritime draughtsmen on British Submarines whom again I know quite well. Perhaps Robin Hinson, a past photographer for the Royal Navy Submarine Museum, with I may add has one of the largest privately owned photographic and submarine drawing collections in the UK.   There are of course numerous reference books dating over the years which, if you read them refer to the colour schemes for the various areas for operations during WWII  You must not forget however, there are those whom study the subject of submarines of the Royal Navy.

I don't know Young,  or Hill, but J Lambert and I have conversed on many occasion. John wasn't serving on these boats in the Far East, or on the Depot Ships, so he wouldn't have known the day to day operations.

I do know Stephen Jenner.

I spoke with him on many an occasion, and my wife and I drove to Nova Scotia to spend time with him.  He was the Commander of the Canadian Submarine Fleet, besides being my dad's 1st lieutenant on HMS Sibyl http://www.saoceast.com/jenner.htm

Cmdr Jenner told me of these Far East colors and I have a video of the discussion somewhere. I'll find it in due course.

Having said all that, I don't see your point.

unseen

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 08:40:14 am »

I never said that John had served on the S Boats and neither had David Hill, what I did mention is that they are maritime draughtsmen and that there are those whom do study the subject.  I have picked up the point that a serving officer can request to have changes made to the boat, well yes that was true when the boat was on the build fitting out. These changes were usually made by the new commander and engineering chief which would be working with the constructor prior to any members of crew and of any rank arriving.   However, the colour schemes which were decided by the Admiralty were standard and were not open to negotiation.  The pattern of camouflage pattern may differ obviously but this would due to dockyard mateys or spare crew on depot ships and bases carring out the work. 

However, in the attempt to answer a question to aid a modeller earlier, it appears a dispute has erupted.  All I can say further now is Read, Read more books from those who do know.

But obviously you know more

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 09:39:15 am »

It is a shame that there are not more colour photographs taken at the time. It would certainly help to answer the "ongoing" discussions about colour schemes!
If any one knows of colour photographs perhaps they could share their sources.
To get the ball rolling, I found some very nice footage of a 1944 U class in "Western Approaches". This is a wartime film shot in Technicolor which I reviewed in the AMS magazine. Sadly because the U class was operating in home waters the colour was ............................grey!

David

RonP

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 03:16:24 pm »

Coo! someone opened up a can of worms. Go for it boys, handbags at dawn.

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 04:52:09 pm »

I have these not the best, Tom

Kazzer

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 06:20:51 pm »

Of course, it might be best to approach this whole subject from another angle. Which actual boat are you going to model? And in what period of it's life?  Almost all boats went through changes, as guns were swapped around, bandstands installed, etc. According to Jenner, these alterations were at the request of the captain. So the boat you have is just a generic thing, not particularly modeled on any specific boat.  It's type III, and from memory I'd say Storm, but the photos need top be checked.   Come up the the specific boat and then the color may become obvious!

I have an article on the mods done to the S Class here  http://support.caswellplating.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/353/48/the-sub-driver-gazette--9-nov-2011

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 09:30:33 am »

Thanks Tomp! You have just about quadrupled the number of colour photos I've seen over the years.
(Shame they are all grey  ok2.)

David

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 09:45:54 am »

This is the model at the Submarine museum in Gosport, taken a couple of years ago, hope they help.

Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 09:53:49 am »

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 09:56:31 am »

ffr2608

• Shipmate
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 04:21:04 am »

Here are the colors I went with. Bob at OTW provided me the topside blue and It seems to be close to the color photos posted earlier.

D

magister

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 04:25:39 am »

Fantastic looking model. great paint work :-)) ok2
DEAN WINCHESTER

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 04:27:33 am »

ffr....your vertical brownish rust/corrosion weathering together with the horizontal greenish slime line is very well executed  :-)) ......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ffr2608

• Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 04:40:16 pm »

Thanks guys. added a few more images. Type 7 is from Mike Dory and gives a great size comparison. The S was my favorite model to run at periscope level. Only controlled the bow planes and let the angle keeper handle the tail with no override. Tug is my fathers.

Darrin H
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.