Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: motor & speed controller advice  (Read 1577 times)

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
motor & speed controller advice
« on: May 28, 2012, 10:06:57 pm »

evening,

I finally got my boat back working but shocked with the performance , first my old robbe Dusseldorf which has the recommend gear motors just seemed a bit sluggish, i remember it used to run off two 6volt cells in series, now has 12 volt but i remember then the two 6 volt wired to the performance was great.

the other question is i just finished a pt109 which has two 540 motor, the shop recommend two 50 amp speed controllers (probably saw me coming)to run them but on the weekend, then on full power it just seemed slow (front woundn't lift out of the water), would having two speed controller be cutting the power down to much and running 1 speed controller be better.

I'm very disappointed with both boat as Sunday was a boat show and they just didn't seem to be sailing right

the 12 cell is brand new,
thanks in advance

tim

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: motor & speed controller advice
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 10:24:06 pm »

The job of an esc is to control the current supply. Having one or two suppling your motors means more amps are avalible. so many things can effect speed. Prop size motor size etc. It sounds like your Esc could be the chinese ones? Sadly they are over rated. Please read other posts about these. Try smaller props as a start. It could even be the battery undercharged. Have fun good luck John.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:30:24 pm »

Sounds like the battery is too heavy, assuming it is a sealed lead acid jobbie.  If your new 12 volt battery is a 7 Ahr job then it weighs more than two 6 volt 4Ahr so this will slow down your Dusseldorf.

To get a PT boat to perform is like getting modern lifeboats to plane, you need to loose as much weight as possible and try NiMh or even LiPo batteries !!

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 07:25:05 pm »

thanks all for the advise
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.