Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: spray painting a hull  (Read 3874 times)

murphy1570

• Full Mayhemer
spray painting a hull
« on: May 30, 2012, 12:56:44 am »

Hello folks
I am building the Vosper MTB 379 as featured in the April 2011 issue of Marine Modelling international, I am a relative beginner to building model boats but have managed to build the hull using a combination of balsa and ply, I have given it three brushed coats of sanding sealer rubbing down between coats and it feels very smooth. I think it is now ready for spraying using cans of spray paint, what is the best way to spray the complete hull, ie deck first then the actual hull itself, as I am not sure about the order of spraying, the boat itself will be mainly grey, with red primer below the waterline, using acrylic spray paint cans. Can I spray the entire hull in gray then spray the red oxide below the waterline with the red oxide under the waterline on top of the grey. After masking the the waterline off ? I would also appreciate any advice on the best masking tape to use ie tamiya or whatever.

Thanks in advance folks
All the best, John.

gra2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: spray painting a hull
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:38:15 am »

Hi John

I would spray the hull and deck with gray primer first then mask the bottom of the hull with Tamiya tape followed by your red/brown finish coat.
Mask up bottom and spray hull sides with finish colour after this is dry mask complete hull and spray deck with finish colour.
I always use Tamiya masking tape for excellant edge finish.
Hope this helps you out.

Graham

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 03:51:14 am »

I agree.   Paint as much as possible in undercoat first, then mask with Tamiya tape and plain paper ( printed paper can leave marks) and spay next colour.
Don't try and spay one undercoat colour to a line then another to the same line.   It will leave a weak area for the water to enter.

murphy1570

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 11:49:40 pm »

Hello Graham and Brian, thanks for your advice I was thinking along these lines but was unsure if it was the right way to proceed, I will follow your tips and hopefully manage to get a half decent finish.
Thanks again folks, all the best,John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.