Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what is a good paint  (Read 3207 times)

guitar man

• Full Mayhemer
what is a good paint
« on: May 29, 2012, 07:04:57 pm »

Hi all

Can you help? I was going to paint my hull using a rattle can but cannot not find a white that I like the look of, so I have found one in the aqua colour range.Do you think these would be suitable to be on a hull. Would they need anything on top of them, or are all paints water proof when dry, sorry if it seems an odd question but better to ask first than find out later.

Thanks in advance for any help

As always regards Tony

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: what is a good paint
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 08:01:59 pm »

Rattle can Appliance White is a pretty pure white.

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:45:51 pm »

I find the word "Arctic" white turns out a nice white. The others, as you say, are not quite pure white.  Mind you, the undercoat has a huge bearing on the overall result.  %)

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:12:55 pm »

Right then find the white that you like go to Halfords and get them to make you up that specific white as they can mix paint for you in rattle cans.Never heard of the paint you mention who makes it who sells it etc

Dave

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 10:58:29 pm »

Stavros, are you saying that you can take any tin of enamel paint along to Halfords and they will use the contents to make up a rattle can? I must admit I have not heard of this before? I have some proper Lifeboat Orange brush on paint,and if what you say is correct I would certainly get some made up as a spray can.
Mick

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 11:28:09 pm »

NO i have not said that at all If you know what the white is and can NAME it then go to Halfords and they will mix it.Find a car with the white you like tell them the make and modle and year and they can mix it.

Dave

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 06:34:36 am »

Halfords can mix any car colour if you have the colour name or paint ciode. They should have in store around 3 thick folders of colour swatches for most car colours ever produced. Providing the store hasn't lost them you can browse through them and pick a colour.

explorer

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 10:57:22 am »

Hi
I use "Vauxhall glacier white" spray from Halfords. Its a nice "white" white, if that makes any sense.

Clark

guitar man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 05:44:40 pm »

Thank you you all for your replies

The arctic white one was what I thought looked the most likely ,Colin and Clark I will also look at your suggestions (thanks) . Dave the paint I was referring to as aqua colour is the small revell model ones I use these a lot above the water but was not sure how they would get on under the water.Thanks again it is good to have some one Else's view on colours all the whites I looked at seemed off white

Regards Tony

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 11:13:22 pm »

I went into my local car parts shop and was looking through the display of car paint aerosols. A young assistant came up and said "can I help you Sir?"

"No thanks" I said "I'm just looking for a particular colour."

"We can mix-up any colour you like" said he.

"Any colour?" I queried.

"Oh, yes Sir, what colour are you looking for?"

"It's the anti-fouling paint on the bottom of the hull on a 1960's Vosper Rescue and Target Towing Launch" I replied.

He looked at me for a few seconds, grinned and said "I'll just go and ask the gaffer!"

Brilliant......

Dave.
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 11:27:39 pm »

FWIW I use Plasi-Kote Satin White spray. It is a very slightly "warm" white as I don't think that the stark brilliant gloss whites look natural.

Dave
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.