Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sail winch servo  (Read 3361 times)

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
Sail winch servo
« on: June 01, 2012, 09:47:56 am »

I have a Hitec sail winch servo, my question is am  I able to connect this servo to a three position switch on my transmitter (DX8)
I would like to flick the switch down and the servo go one way until I return it to the centre position and the servo stop were it is.
Then to flick the switch in the opposite direction and the servo go the other way until the switch is returned to the centre.
At the moment the winch goes one way or the other on the switch but soon as you return the switch to the middle the servo returns to it zero position.
Can any one help
Steve.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sail winch servo
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 10:05:21 am »

The servo will have to stay in either the UP or Down position to keep the sail in either position.

i would suggest driving the servo with a Non sprung arm on the T/X, then it will stay where you leave it.

regards

ken

ps   Just had a thought.  There are pulse switches which electronically lock with a jab of the TX either on or off but the wiring up would be complex.
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 10:20:14 am »

Cheers Ken,
However the sail winch in a sense isn't being used as a conventional winch,
It has a timing belt attached that is connected under the deck to another pulley that in turn is attaced to a forward sail boom that reefs in a genoa sail..I want to be able to control how much the sail is reefed in and out.
Cheers
Steve.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 10:31:35 am »

I figured there was more to this than meets the eye.

Could you put up a sketch of your system for the more knowledgeable guys to browse. It looks an interesting problem.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Timo2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 10:51:21 am »

Hi

I use a CHEAP Turborix/Hobbyking  2.4 Tx/Rx with  turn knobs on channel 5/6 at stay where placed,  but also  mixed to a switches for quick returns

Timo2

" works for me " 
Just a Buoy at heart

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:55:44 am »

The sail winch servo is just a servo, albeit a lot bigger, with a drum rather than an arm.  The switched channel will send out information just like any other channel, its just that with a 3 position switch, it can send any one of 3 positions at any one time, rather than the infinite number of positions you get with a pot.
Best to plug an ordinary servo into the appropriate slot and do an empirical test, operating the switch and seeing what the servo does.  If it takes up positions corresponding to left, center, right, then the winch will do the same, only with more turns involved.  Best to try it out of the boat on the bench first.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 01:28:43 pm »

I have a aux3 which is a pot, this works fine with one of my other winches, I'm wondering if I could replace my three way switch with another
Pot type switch, maybe I will have to get in touch with Spektrum to see if it's feasible.

ACTion

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 01:56:47 pm »

If you use a geared motor with a drum instead of the servo then you can do exactly what you have described with a twin relay switcher - guess who makes those? http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Limit%20Switches.pdf  8)
MFA-Como Drills have a very complete range of geared motors, one of which is bound to suit this application http://www.mfacomodrills.com/gearboxes/gearboxes.html
Dave M

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 04:16:54 pm »

Thanks for that Dave, as always you come up with a solution.
However the Robbe genoa sail kit comes initially with a geared motor, in fact I ordered one of your speed controllers for it.
But it used a sprocket and ladder chain affair ad it was always jumping the sprocket plus it was a night mare to fit.
All is working well with the servo plus it has a lot of torque. I think I will have a re think of my options and try a re shuffle of my switches.
Thanks anyway
Steve.

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 02:44:50 am »

Not sure how to make it work as you initially asked but...if you want to use one of your stick's channels --

If you "hack" it by removing the feedback pot's gear, you can turn it into a directional motor whose speed it dependent on how far you deflect your stick from center.  Centering your stick will stop the rotation. 

However, when I did it on my large schooner for my tacking jib sheets, I had trouble keeping/finding the electrical zero spot so my winch would slowly pay out or pull in until it stalled.

Landlocked

giovanni

• Live Steam Power
  • Full Mayhemer
  • 1906 Stanley Landspeed Record Car
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 07:28:42 am »

Your best bet is to look at www.servocity.com
For sail winch selections in all types of geared models. They are very popular.
You can even by the parts from them and build your own.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 09:39:40 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.