Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: disk not working  (Read 2617 times)

boatman 101

• Full Mayhemer
disk not working
« on: June 02, 2012, 08:09:08 am »

HI all anyone know why the disk's pack up workin after a time in my computer ? <*<
chris

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: disk not working
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 08:16:35 am »

What sort of disk? Hard disk or DVD/CD?

Hard disks only have a finite life and excess heat will shorten this life.  Ensure all fans and vents are cleaar
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

boatman 101

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 08:21:38 am »

DVD disk that slide in the tray
chris

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 08:30:54 am »

DVD even worse reliabiltiy the ieast fingerprint/smear can  screw them though a good wash  wil often solve the problem.Some brands are  worse than others.as they use cheap dyes  Is the pc not seeing them or just giving an error message

boatman 101

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 08:37:30 am »

Well its a laptop  packhard bell  but when i put the disk in an close the tray the yellow light flashes to say its doin summit an then stops an nothin comes up on screen ive waited about 10mins but no go  but then i'll try another disk an it all workin ok so it cant be my laptop

chris

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 09:03:18 am »

Ok so ts the disc  is this a disc that you could play in a dvd player if so try on that.Do have a good liook at the disc though   or better still give it a wash anyway  wont do any harm unless you have stuck a label on it which one should'nt .  Very soft cloth mild washing up liquid solution and from the centre outwards in straight wipes not circular

boatman 101

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 09:28:12 am »

Ok so ts the disc  is this a disc that you could play in a dvd player if so try on that.Do have a good liook at the disc though   or better still give it a wash anyway  wont do any harm unless you have stuck a label on it which one should'nt .  Very soft cloth mild washing up liquid solution and from the centre outwards in straight wipes not circular

OK THANKS guys an jaymac i'll give it a go   cheers
chris

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 10:36:55 am »

If cleaning the disk didn't work a bit more information would help.

Is this a disk that you burnt yourself ( normally a blue/purple colour on the shiny side) or is a disk that was professionally made ( normally silver like any purchased CD/DVD on the shiny side)?

What sort of things are you expecting to find on the disk?

Have you a second copy or is this the only one?  

Have you tried the disk in a different computer?

boatman 101

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 02:25:12 pm »

If cleaning the disk didn't work a bit more information would help.

Is this a disk that you burnt yourself ( normally a blue/purple colour on the shiny side) or is a disk that was professionally made ( normally silver like any purchased CD/DVD on the shiny side)?

What sort of things are you expecting to find on the disk?

Have you a second copy or is this the only one?  

Have you tried the disk in a different computer?

1 Yes this my own burnt disk
2 my nimitz carrier build photo pics
3 yes i have second copy an it plays ok but i cant remember at what stage some of the build pics were as there a heck of a lot of them i should have really kept the whole build one one disk an a copy but at the time i dint know how to reburn a disk after id done it once
4an no i havnt treid it in another computer as the nearest is about 10mls away
Any way thanks for your help guys much appreciated
chris

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 02:49:29 pm »

Chris try Iso buster its not free but the trial has limited features if it sees the disc you might be lucky to recover
Also   did you burn this disc as a Data disc  ie just files or as a  dvd  that you could watchon a standalone player .if the latter then you will still have the  Iso file or video_ts folder on the pc

http://download.cnet.com/IsoBuster/3000-2248_4-10208087.html

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 03:13:20 pm »

Lets try the obvious, cheap & easy first.

1. Copy the disc that still works on to the computer and keep it there as a folder. Burn a second backup disk using that folder as the source. We don't want to loose any more. I would also put the files onto a pen drive (usb stick) and keep it safe until this is all resolved.

2. If you look at the faulty disk edge on to the light can you see any scratches, coffee, bits of pork pie, phlegm, sneeze fluid etc etc? By the way a disk burns from the middle outward - not that it will change anything here except that if there are scratches they obviously matter if they are in the data bit - see 3.

3. If you look at the disc held edge on to the light you can see the colour difference between the bit that has data on it & the bit that hasn't. Are the still working and the non working disk the same? If they are the same then you still at least you still have most of what you had.

4. Did you finalize the disk so that it will play on other computers?

5. Try the malfunctioning disk in a second computer & keep your fingers crossed. If it works burn at least 2 new disks. The easy way to do this is to copy the disk into a folder on the hard drive of the 2nd computer & then burn a couple of disks from there. I would also put the files onto a pen drive (usb stick) and keep it safe until this is all resolved.

If you still haven't got a solution it gets trickier.

Good luck.

I know that this isn't the time to mention it but home burnt disks should never be relied on to secure data. I use 2 independent hard drives. There is an old saying that goes something like "if you don't have data in at least 2 independent places from the one that you are currently using consider it lost."

boatman 101

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 09:42:53 pm »

Well guys i gave the disk a wipe with my glasses wipe cloth gently done workin from the centre outward an it seems to be workin now  many thanks chaps for your help all of you much appreicaited :-))

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 10:15:40 pm »

Great glad you are sorted

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 08:44:58 am »

Disaster averted  :-) - but learn the lesson about back ups.   O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.