Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Hunter 5 footer  (Read 18165 times)

Stavros

Happy Hunter 5 footer
« on: June 04, 2012, 11:54:13 pm »

Well I have acquired a Happy Hunter Tug off a friend of Guy Bagley(Yes he does have some friends ) and will be doing a blog of this refurbishment.
This was bought at Wickstead Park at the Mayhem event and nearly caused a Divorce,I think Mrs J has cooled down now she has realised I sold my Yacht for the same as the purchase price if NOT Guy YOU are in serious trouble.
The hull it'self is in quite a sad state to be perfectly honest and will require some remedial work in the filling and painting dept,but nothing I hope that is to major.

Power wise I am going to run it on a golf trolley motor on 12v backed up with 2x 900 motors as this has allready got 3 shafts fitted to it.And before anyone tells me YES I do know the hunter has only 2 Kort nozzles but to keep costs down and as there is no play in any of the shafts I will use it as is so to speak.

First job today was removing the centre shaft which I managed with ease all it needed was tapping with a hammer to move it approx 1 inch further rearward to facilitate the fitting of a 5 inch 4 bladed prop,both shafts either side of this were in remarkable condition for their age.The rudder has really caused me a headache as it was comming through the deck and as far as I was concerned was a big no no.The rear deck has had to be removed to gain access to the bigest lump of filler I have seen at least 2 inches thick ...a right recipe for disaster in my opinion.As this filler was removed a hole has appeared in the stern of the tug this will be a simple repair with Grp matting and resin and whilst repairing this I will bond a block of wood the the stern so a new rudder post can go in and allow the servo horn to be under the deck and unseen.
A new motor tray will be also bonded into the hull whilst the grp is out.

Pi cures willl be posted hopefully tomorrow night of the tug and what has been done so  far

Dave

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Happy Hunter 5 footer
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 12:18:17 am »

Saw this at the weekend and it's a monster  :-))
Finished for next years mayhem weekend O0 O0

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 11:56:17 am »

Good luck with the refurbishment Dave I have seen some excellent models of this tug.

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:07:23 pm »

Thanks Martin you beat me to it

1 in the workshop

2 Showing hole that appeared after grinding back the stern to fit  a proper rudder

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 10:18:50 pm »

First job today  was to install the modified main shaft this was fixed into place with Isopon P40 fiberglass whilst this was curing I made 2 wood blocks to fill the stern so the new rudder post could be placed,This has been temporarily glued with Zap.A motor mounting board was also fixed to the hull and the motor and shaft aligned.One job I will have to do is to make some short shafts as the 900 motors will have to be set slightly further away due to space issues.The rudder gimball and shaft have been made and the rudder blade has also been manufactured,this will be silver soldered to the shaft.I have used an old prop shaft for the rudder shaft

wood blocks set in place to accept the rudder post

Propeller

The little motor that will power her

Rudder Shaft awaiting the blade to be soldered

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 10:50:38 pm »

Well tonight was a good night as the rudder blade has been silver soldered to the shaft so thats another job out of the way.I have also started on the front mast in Brass pics of that tomorrow

Dave

nlldavies

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 11:02:24 pm »

All this work already Stav  :embarrassed: ... your putting me to shame with the Huntsman.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 11:42:54 pm »

Something that big needs something like this! - http://youtu.be/q_0xifuTqVA
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

nlldavies

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 11:57:02 pm »

Something that big needs something like this! - http://youtu.be/q_0xifuTqVA

That'll upset a few of the green brigade  O0

Hypnotic sound.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 09:18:49 am »

just glad i could put seller and buyer  together-i was merely a delivery service !!!

it was not my boat ( its timber for a start !!! {-))  but i knew a member of our club wanted to find a new home for it as it was getting too big and too heavy for him to work on.... and i knew stav was looking for a challenge.... !

will let Bob Gaines know you are doing a blog so he can watch and see the work you are doing, he will be glad to see the model on the water again...

( he also has a 9 foot long kingswear castle !!!!)- he builds big !

all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 10:04:08 pm »

9 feet of this would be impressive: http://www.shipphotos.co.uk/pages/kingswearcastle.htm

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 11:00:34 pm »

Picture of the front mast

Today I decided to make the Railings around the Bridge area and the rail across the front of the Bridge,these were made up of welding wire and soft soldered

After completing this it was time to Make the lower deck area just under the bridge complete with a set of Ladders to the main deck

You will notice that the right hand side of the ladder seems wonky but this was before it got soldered up

Now showing the top rail

The whole of the Bridge superstructure has now been disassembled prior to a full sand down and repainting which will commence shortly

Dave

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 11:06:13 pm »

I know a man that can paint ...........     :}

Your doing a fine job on this one Dave. Looking forward to the painting section.

Cheers

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 11:20:38 pm »

You offering to paint it Ken

Dave

debssnal

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://www.ateamboatyard.co.uk/
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 11:22:58 pm »

You got a lot done dave,looking good mate.
Keep up the good work.
regards
Alan

Stavros

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 07:51:43 pm »

Well the 2 old out shafts were removed this afternoon due to me not being to get the right props in M5 so 2 new shafts were purchased and 2x 55mm 4 blade props also.These have been glued in awaiting some application of P40 to seal them in.The outer Motors 900MMB ones have been also installed.I have also started on the wiring so a new Electronics board has been installed this will be made removal just in case !!!!
All the electronics are going to be ACTion of course,I will be usuing 1 of Dave megga esc for the Golf cart Motor a P94 for hte outer motors and rudder,Alos a full sound system will go into her as well as switchers for the lights and there wil be 2 pumps for the 2 fire monitors.

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 09:06:44 pm »

Had a good weekend working on the tug loats achieved and boy am I a happy chappie.I decided to install some of the electrics in the tug starting with 2 of Dave ACTion's Distribution boards one will be for the speed controlllers the other will be for the sound system/lights and fire monitor pumps.

And yes Dave it all works wonderfull thing this WELSH ELECTRICITY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following have been installed
2 x Distribution boards
Esc for the main motor
P94 for the outer 900 motors
Amp for the sound system
Fog Horn
2 way switcher
Fire Monitor pump(not wired yet)

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 09:14:38 pm »

Next on my hit list were the washports but I only managed one side...got sidetracked the other side will be done tomorrow

I then decided it was time to manufacter the life raft holders on the front of the superstructure these were made of brass rod and soldered to the railings

As I was in the mood for soldering the rear railings were built and the 2 set of steps were also put in

After this mamoth soldering task it was time then to make the rear deck covers as I had to modify the originas to instal the new rudder assembly

Dave

Barty230

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 09:35:28 pm »

Nice one Mate...but you can stop for food occassionally!!!!     I'm impressed :-))

Stavros

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 10:23:27 pm »

Thanks Bruce yup it is now getting to be a bit on the heavy side,me thinks and engine hoist in the trailer might be the ans to launching her,do you htink there is enough water in Wat Tyler for her lol

Dave

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 10:21:46 am »

She is coming along nicely Dave, :-)) she should sail well. I was looking at a Happy Hunter at the weekend at Balne Moor smaller than the one you have and I was very impressed with the way she sailed. 

Stavros

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 10:02:12 pm »

More Brass work has been made namely the towing frames and some Bollards,also work has started on the stern roller

Bollard pieces

Completed

Towing irons

Stem Roller

Dave

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 10:04:50 pm »

Why not fit a real roller in place as it would be more authentic ?

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 10:15:48 pm »

Ken fair comment BUT space is a problem even on this size of hull and if I am right and will stand corrected on this I dont think the original had a full roller just exactly what I have put on the model

dave

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 10:43:59 pm »

Hi, Just make sure you have a good Truss as you do not want to herniate yourself. Nemesis
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.