Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Hunter 5 footer  (Read 18163 times)

Stavros

Re: Happy Hunter 5 footer
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 10:52:37 pm »

Ken I will ans my last post,yes she did have a proper roller on her stern just found some pics of it and it looks like a right piglet to manufacture so |I will pass on that one and leave it as is Belive you me it would take a lot of Hull reengineering to get it rigth !!!!!!!

Large truss allready on order and STEEL toe capped waders for when she is launched.Fun bit will be ballasting her and she is just a tad to big for the bath

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 11:14:38 pm »

Right it has been very quiet on this build due to technical issues,OK OK OK Stavros dropped a clanger  :embarrassed:

Plan A
I originally started off with a Golf Buggy motor and a 150mm prop so off I went to LLanfairfechan Lake full of expectation of whatever boy oh boy did I come back depressed,first run revealed a blown 15 amp fuse on the ACTion distribution Board so Nigel was duly dispatched to raid my Car Fuse box and came back with some 25 ampers  wey hey said I that Will cure it,Huh yes it did BUT performance was pants,but it was far better when I opted to use both the 900 motors in Fwd mode,mmmmm trouble was I had to go and rescue the tug as it promptly blew the 25 amp main feed into the dist board.so I went for plan B

Plan B
Well I had a brain Storm AGAIN and fitted a 900 motor swinging a 150mm Prop as main drive for testing purposes.Well after 25 yds there was this haze appearing over the lake mmmmmmm motor got slightly hot....Wonder WHY HA HA............Back to the drawing board as Performance was still pants.

Plan C
Refitted the Buggy Motor but this time I de propped it down to a 100mm Prop and off testing I went WEY hey much improved at least the motor was getting near it's potential.But still not near what I wanted.

Plan D
Totally rewired the tug took the Action dist board out main reasoning for this is simple really I am now running a Brushless motor and esc so I was not able to use the board for it's power supply.I have now installed a car fuse box to supply all the feeds for the Esc's etc,the Action products are not Bec supported BUT as the Brushless esc is that can supply the receiver with the power to enable the Action stuff to work.I dare say Dave will tar and feather me for such an installation but we are dealing with WELSH ELECTRICITY Mr Milbs !!!!!!!!!. So testing I went and boy oh boy was that EVENTFULL to say the least.

There I was with the car at the waters edge in LLanfairfechan putting on my waders when I heard an almighty splash and a scream.A child of 5 had only gone and ridden his Bike straight into the lake well I didn't even get my wading shoes on it was in I went hoping and praying there was no glass on the bottom let alone the kid was OK,luckily enough he bobbed up to the surface crying about his BIKE.He was quickly dispatched to his Mum's arms and then wrapped in one of Tommy's blankets,you will have seen Tommy at Mayhem...the unadopted Mayhem Mascot.With all this Excitement I could not wait to go testing.

I can not possible repeat what a passer by said when he saw the tug go,.. well Alan (debsnnal) all I can say is well how can I put it you all heard of a speedyboat forget that one I got a SPEEDYTUG Holy Moses it gets up and planes and it only be on 12v I shudder to think what it would do on 24v I don't think I want to even go there.!!!!!!!!!!!. Well I said to my self WOW great now where's the camera,picked it up and set tug off fwd and then YES you have all guessed it DISASTER the sheer torque of this monster Motor ripped my prop UJ apart,and no it wasn't a dyco type,it was the rubber hose type,so Ill get straight on the phone tomorrow and get one ordered.
One thing I will add is DON'T GET IN FRONT OF THIS TUG  simple as it weight more than 100lbs and believe you me it will NOT stop Quickly at all !!!!

Link to new Motor

http://www.giantshark.co.uk/epower-bl4030-385kv-brushless-outrunner-motor-p-257.html

Dave

ACTion

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 08:00:47 am »

I dare say Dave will tar and feather me for such an installation but we are dealing with WELSH ELECTRICITY Mr Milbs !!!!!!!!!.
No - we are dealing with a Welshman, and not just any old Welshman, either. I reckon a 900 on 18v, geared down, would have done the job, but what do I know? Your wiring is nearly as good as your painting these days, Dave, and you had the good sense to realise that a P92 D/B wouldn't handle the current that this motor can draw. 8/10 overall for the electrickery.  That said, why on earth did you want a model this  big?? I thought you'd gone over to straight running  8)
DM

chingdevil

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 11:28:33 am »

Phil does the running because Daves models do not go straight {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-).

That Hunter is coming along nicely Dave, has your missus forgiven you for buying it?

Brian

Stavros

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 12:31:42 pm »

Well Dave as Brian has so kindly pointed out mine dont exactly go straight and me and Phil have invented a new Olimpic sport the 100mtr wader race,and in my mind Phil would get gold medal.

It took a lot of sweet tallking Brian took her a while to come down off the celing

Why a boat of this size.......simples no one has one .....Got to be different thats me

dave

Stavros

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 10:40:13 pm »

Well thanks to Steve of Model Boat bits I recieved a BOMB proof coupling this morning so it would have been rude not to have tested it tonight,OH am I HAPPY bunny tonight it is all systems go with teh build now.I am trying to upload a vid at the mo and as soon as it s up ill post a link anyway some photos as tasters

Dave

nlldavies

• Shipmate
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 10:48:33 pm »

..... first run revealed a blown 15 amp fuse on the ACTion distribution Board so Nigel was duly dispatched to raid my Car Fuse box and came back with some 25 ampers  wey hey said I that Will cure it,Huh yes it did ..... Dave

Winters getting nearer, you'll need to get the glow plugs back up and operational on the audi again  :embarrassed:

Stavros

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 10:51:52 pm »

Well that figures why I was having problems starting it the oter morning

Dave

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 11:24:44 pm »

And BEFO|RE anyone picks up on it I hearby APPOLOGISW for the naughty word at the end of the video,I accidentally switched the transmitter off and lost controll of the boat so had to drop camera and catch her before she rammed the side

Dave........Now sat on the naughty step

A71

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2012, 12:03:04 am »

Lol that last few seconds made me laugh my brother did the same thing but he thought he was switching the trim tab I believe he was flying a 3D model that he had just finished he then took it home in a bag  :o

Still can't get over how big this is

Stavros

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2012, 12:41:07 am »

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2012, 08:40:15 am »

looking good
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 10:35:46 am »

Well you've got the power.  Very impressive Sir.   :-))

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 02:02:43 pm »

And BEFO|RE anyone picks up on it I hearby APPOLOGISW for the naughty word at the end of the video,I accidentally switched the transmitter off and lost controll of the boat so had to drop camera and catch her before she rammed the side

Dave........Now sat on the naughty step

Nuffin wrong with 'rowlocks' is there ?
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2012, 05:27:08 pm »

Your doing a grand job of that. How old is the model and will you be keeping the colour scheme?
"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws" - Douglas Adams

Stavros

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2012, 06:35:32 pm »

I honestly dont know how Old she is at all Maybee Guy could comment when he reads this as for colour scheme I will be painting her the Proper Happy Hunter colours of Red antifouling,Yellow hull,Grey deck and White superstucture, I am afraid that the Blue on the superstucture and deck is totally incorrect for this Tug.
I am hoping to get the Hiab crane to rurn and lift and the 2 fire canons will obviously spray water.

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2012, 10:42:54 pm »

Well had a very successful day out today at the Colwyn Bay show where she made her first pubic debut in her new Guise.She didn't let me down either with only one small teething fault the bile pump was connected the wrong way it was blowing not sucking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Ran her solidly for well over 3 hours not a single motor got even warm well pleased.

Next step is to strip her down and take her to work where I will apply some 2 pack primer to the hull and then a new coat of yellow and paint the antifouling as well,the deck will go primer grey but before I apply that I will give the deck a coat of Lacquer to seal the deck.....reasoning behind this is simple really primer is porous and would let water into the wood not good at all  O0...Clear lacquer will seal it so I can then apply grey primer .

Dave

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2012, 09:24:59 am »

the boat i know is over 20 yrs old, -after that i cant  be sure,  built originally by a member of the black park club by the name of 'steve', this was in the 80's - i remeber him building the hull and bringing it up for testing all those years ago - if memory serves me right it was primarily built for a endurance event that was run at that time .... it was then sold onto a chap called Bob Gaines who builds big ! -( he has a 9ft paddle steamer )

Bob planned to strip it and give her  a total refurb- but  like many of us Bob had too many models on the go at the time and she sat there gathering dust...

i would say she has been gathering dust for about 8 years, Bob is now retired and decided this boat is just not going to get done and its too big, too heavy  to realistically handle on his own... so he made noises about selling it on....

i heard stav was looking for a big tug and so i put buyer and seller together !- simples
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Stavros

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2012, 07:23:07 pm »

Well hasn't it been quiet on this thread till now  O0 {-)

Having decided to attend the RNLI fundraising day at Wallesey this weekend it was suddeny decided at 1pm on Fri to tidy the old girl up so off it went to the unit.Well to say I had a brainstorm was an understatement \I had originally had thought of just rubbing down the hull putting some filler on patch prime the repairs and just lacquer the hull to seal it BUT Stav works in mysterious ways sometimes !!!!
Having prepared the hull with 80 grit paper it was time to use 180 grit yet again used dry,sorry friends but I cheated as I used a dual action sander on the hull well as \I got one it would have been rude not to wouldn't it.After this things took a sudden turn for the better well for Me it did.Whilst taking out the primer I spotted a product we use in the Car trade called Rocket and the devil really came into my head and thought Primer + Rocket = superfast drying and Wey Hey straight on with the colour Simples really.

As a Professional painter it is so so easy to take advantage of the products that are to hand and cheat a little.We in the trade can use a system called Wet on Wet which in fact is what it says,basically as soon as the primer is dry apply the topcoat.....PLEASE DO NOT TRY TIS WITH HALFORDS RATTLE CANS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.It will NOT work....WHY I hear you ask .....Well the paint we Professionals use is 2 pack and it is a chemically drying paint and not a paint that relies on solvent evaporation.

You will have read that I only rubbed down with 80 then 180 Well with 2 pack you can get away with this process DO NOT try it with aerosols it will END  IN TEARS

4 coats of the Yellow were then applied to the hull and left to dry.After a couple of days I will apply the Red antifouling.As soon as the deck is sprayed Grey the hull will have it's final coat of Yellow.

Just to give you an idea of the speed of this process I started at 1pm and was going home at 430 with the hull in yellow !!!!!!!!!!!!!

mersey dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2012, 07:30:51 pm »

That sure looks good Dave, i must remember my sun glasses tomorrow. :-)) :-)) :-))

Rgards Dave.

Stavros

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2012, 09:44:36 pm »

Right then after a good sail on Sunday on the wirral I have now started to strip down the superstructure ready to paint.

Now this is where Dave is now going to CHEAT a bit on the build,a very good friend of mine YES i do have some,has agreed to build me the Hiab all the masts etc and as I have allready had some work done by him in the past I can only rate his work as SUPERB He goes by the Name on Ebay of Boatman Wales and usually has some Guns etc for sale.If any member on here want any boat part scratch built then drop me  pm and I will put you in contact with Derek.main reason for the slight diversification is simple really ....lack of time due to work etc.

So far he has built the hiab which will be motorised and will traverse left and right and up and down have a look at the build quality of this

More to follow as I get them

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2012, 10:04:32 pm »

that's avery nice bit of kit Dave.
neil.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2012, 02:17:15 am »

Yep - and very worthy of it's own little build log- because I need to have one O0

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2012, 05:19:52 pm »

Right then lets catch up from where I left off

I suddenly realised it was the international boat show in a couple of weeks so PANIC has set in,yesterday the deck was painted in grey so today I could take it to my unit to spray the hull.

The hull was rubbed down dry with 500 grit paper and spirit wiped and tack ragged prior to the waterline being marked and masked up,the newly painted deck was also marked up.

The anti fouling was sprayed on using Halfords plastic primer in red as this to me is a truer representaion of anti fouling than their red oxide....personal choice !!!!

Stav
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.