Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Other Technical Questions...

Lead Ballast

(1/10) > >>

J.beazley:
Need some help???
Been to the local hardware outlets (B&Q, wicks, homebase, plumbase and the likes) but can any of them offer me some lead sheet i think not!
Ballasting my Ryhope tug and already done the ballast her with battery's thing. She needs a little lead in the stern to bring her down to her marks.  ::)

Ive got some lead weights from the local fish tackle shop but there all round or egg shaped, how hot do i have to get these shots before they melt into the shape i need???

Jay

ajg141:
I got a reel of the stuff from a local builder's merchants but have to say it cost an arm and a leg. If you do go down this route be careful - it can easily give you a hernia when you try to lift it. It's lasted years though.

RickF:
Jay,

Have you tried your local tyre dealer? Apparently they throw away/sell all the balance weights they remove - they cannot reuse them. Haven't tried them myself as I still have a pile of lead flashing in the garage.

Rick

banjo:
Hi,
The next time you are up in Basingstoke I can give you some sheet lead, ex FLASHING STRIP.

PM me for contact details

J.beazley:
im in basingstoke 2moro picking up my nipper from my mums literally 2 secs from the lake in eastdrop

tried the building site across the road and the local tyre place and they both said the same thing, they both weigh all the lead in as the price of it at the moment is rather good ::)

Jay

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version