Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6th June 1944 D-DAY  (Read 1995 times)

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
6th June 1944 D-DAY
« on: June 06, 2012, 11:34:05 am »

With all the wonderful Celebrations,and Commemorations of this weekend, may I please remind one and all that today is the 64th Anniversary of D - DAY,an event that cost so many lives,of both young and old,who gave their all,so that we can indeed hold Events such as these most recent.
 I personally am very proud to know 3 men who were 15 year old boys,way back then,at an event that they all remember well,and an event that changed their and indeed our,lives forever.
    "AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN, AND IN THE MORNING,
     WE WILL REMEMBER THEM"

Thank You.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 6th June 1944 D-DAY
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 12:14:09 pm »

In our present culture of "Super-stars" and instant celebrity (with or without talent) I think it's so important to remember that nearly all the important events of British history were acheived by the common man.  Men and Women who shaped Britain and did so so without thought of fame or reward.  My own father served in North Africa and Italy.  ( a "D-Day Dodger", that would really wind him up!)   His friend, Pete Wilkinson, an unassuming man who was as ordinary as they come was a Royal Marine Commando and had defended the Mole at St Nazaire.  These are the heroes of our times and need to be remembered, not the self serving jack-a-napes who are offered up to us now as role-models
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 03:56:53 pm »

WELL SAID    GO INTO THE STREET TO DAY AND ASK PEOPLE WHAT TO DAY IS AND THE ANSWER WILL BE   WEDNSDAY

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 04:12:32 pm »

The week before last I went to the American cemetery at Omaha beach. A moving reminder of what went on...

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 04:14:03 pm »

I think it's the 68th anniversary not the 64th....

Thanks

Russ

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 05:25:31 pm »

WELL SAID    GO INTO THE STREET TO DAY AND ASK PEOPLE WHAT TO DAY IS AND THE ANSWER WILL BE   WEDNSDAY

There are good reasons for that 1 being the standard of teaching
A few years back I went into a school and the history class were doing a project on WW2.
On the wall was.........
The three main planes used during the battle of Britain was the Spitfire, Hurricane and Luftwaffe.
D-day was the day the people went to France in small boats for the day
Oh!! and my favourite bit Hitler was a Jew
If that is what is being taught what chance do we have for the future!!
I got into trouble for changing some items......ok ALL and putting a large F for the teacher.

People need to remember what happened for 2 reasons...
1 to show what it costs for freedom and the other to ensure it never happens again

In Scotland the kids have just finished their exams, I think about now everyone aged 16 should go over to France, belgium and holland
As part of the school ciriculum before they are allowed to leave school into the world.
To see these grave sites to make them appreciate what it is we are talking about, the pictures and books go so far but
To actually see it in person then they will understand it better and even your biggest ned/yob will be struck
By what they see.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 06:29:46 pm »

There are good reasons for that 1 being the standard of teaching
A few years back I went into a school and the history class were doing a project on WW2.
On the wall was.........
The three main planes used during the battle of Britain was the Spitfire, Hurricane and Luftwaffe.
If that is what is being taught what chance do we have for the future!!
I got into trouble for changing some items......ok ALL and putting a large F for the teacher.

People need to remember what happened for 2 reasons...
1 to show what it costs for freedom and the other to ensure it never happens again

In Scotland the kids have just finished their exams, I think about now everyone aged 16 should go over to France, belgium and holland
As part of the school ciriculum before they are allowed to leave school into the world.
To see these grave sites to make them appreciate what it is we are talking about, the pictures and books go so far but
To actually see it in person then they will understand it better and even your biggest ned/yob will be struck
By what they see.

Hear Hear gingyer

The same thing happened to me at school and my teacher did not like the fact that I knew more about the subject than she did!
One of the main reasons why I joined up was to make sure people are made aware of the past's mistakes and to prevent them from happening again. The lack of interest of some teachers on this very important subject is almost diabolical preferring to teach about the history of medicine in South America than important events like WW1 and WW2 that have affected the world more. (I was interested in A-Level History until they told me that medicine was on the syllabus not proper history!)
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 07:12:22 pm »

My most humble apologies of course it IS the 68th Anniversary,and not the 64th, a real slip up by me,that I am ashamed of.
Mick F

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 07:42:15 pm »

On the wall was.........

Well done, as everyone knows, it was Hurricane, Luftwaffe and Spitfire during the BoB :-))

Mark.
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 07:54:50 pm »

RE:     6th June 1944 D-DAY

Lest We Forget.

Frank.

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 10:21:02 am »

LEST WE FORGET
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.