Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighthouses and lightship models  (Read 2759 times)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Lighthouses and lightship models
« on: June 09, 2012, 09:11:11 am »

I was just repainting my "Tupperware " lightship the other day and then went for a day out to the Black Isle where I saw the two lovely lighthouses, one at Channory Point and another at Cromarty harbour.  Why don't we have these important navigation aids represented on Mayhem ?   There are many docks and  harbours with cranes, buildings, vehicles and other details in miniature but I dont remember many lighthouses or lightships, except for Krishna`s.   Greenock Club`s  lighthouse is "MacIntyre" if I remember but that is about the only one I can think of, any more ?  Accurate navigational buoys would be nicer than the oddities we see floating on some courses too. Just a thought.  
..well can you land on this?

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
Re: Lighthouses and lightship models
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 08:13:40 am »

Hi Arrow you have a good idea there, it would be nice to have a section showing the different lighthouses & even the RNLI buildings & slipways. Also any historical buildings & docks etc. Just a thought. Mick B. 
Mick B.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 10:29:09 am »

Good idea Mick!

Here's my lightship.... sort of!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 10:45:16 am »

Yes Irish, maybe the lighthouses should have a slot of their own , there are thousands of them throughout the world.  We could post our local real ones and models.   The RNLI enthusiasts will be delighted to do the sheds and slips I`m sure.  Docks and harbours might need a separate slot too. The model railway members could help with the scenic aspects to add realism. Printed card railway buildings could be enlarged to suit and used as templates for realistic wooden harbour-side buildings. The attached pictures are enlarged from OO gauge paper models , added corrugated paper to simulate "tin sheds"  varnished to weatherproof.  lots of toy cranes are suitable.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 10:53:31 am »

Nice lightship Martin. Looks like it is based on a Corvette hull.   My version is very non-scale. A hollow block of blue foam with plastic food boxes for superstructure. (hence Tupperware reference), four house bricks for ballast and soon to have a Lidl LED lantern flash. It has no motor or radio and is towed out to position and a weighted line dropped.  Here is a German site of interest  www.feuerschiffseite.de

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 11:09:49 am »

I`ll try again with the link   www.feuerschiffseite.de

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 09:22:02 pm »

A while ago I found (but have temporarily misplaced) some links to plans of American lightships - nice.
Like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ambrose_Lightship.jpg

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.