Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam Launch  (Read 42322 times)

mogogear

Re: Steam Launch
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2010, 06:53:44 pm »

Andy ,

In your first post you mentioned this was a Metcalf Mouldings  "Solent" ...I have seen no such offering by them...where did you secure it?

And what were its dimensions again please?

Thanks

greg

Bernhard

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2010, 08:51:11 pm »

http://business.virgin.net/metcalf.mouldings/solent.htm

mogogear

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2010, 10:47:04 pm »

:-))  Thanks Bernhard

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2010, 09:37:24 am »

Andy ,

In your first post you mentioned this was a Metcalf Mouldings  "Solent" ...I have seen no such offering by them...where did you secure it?

And what were its dimensions again please?

Thanks

greg

Greg,
I believe Metcalf mouldings sold the hulls only part of there business to Models by Design, http://www.modelsbydesign.co.uk/

The hull is very similatr to the John Hemmens Lady Jayne, but a fraction of the price, she has good displacement and you don't really have to worry to much about keeping everything light.

Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2010, 09:34:11 pm »

Radio gear now fitted and tried, engine steamed and operated with radio gear all OK, the engine will run at about 10rpm one way but not as slow the other, so may order a left handed prop, would prefer a right hand but the engine runs marginally better left handed. Next job to strip steam gear from boat again and give a final coat of varnish to all interior wood work, I had to alter a few things, in particular the for'd seating to get the boiler and ancillary equipment in its proper place, didn't want any short cuts, I have to live with it, the boat is as near as damnit to what it would be if I had built it originally for steam, I may have dropped the floor 10mm if I was doing it again purely for steam. Anyway a couple of photos, excuse the carnation milk tin /condenser/separator, thats the next job to make a codenser/separator. I also made a more suitable rudder.

RUDDER

Ignore the prop, its a kort nozzle prop off a tug, just using it till I get the proper job!! The rudder worked out well, about 10 minutes with tin snips, file and a blow lamp, a lot better than the original. A quick polish with 600 grade and brasso.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2010, 10:24:00 pm »

Andy...in the last two .jpgs we see just aft of the gas tank....the BLUE servo with a RED linkage arm attached to the main steam regulator............

But what is the servo encased in? ....it nearly appears to be encased  >:-o up to the top cover in GREEN epoxy ...or is it an optical illusion

Great conversion build  :-)) ..........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

J.Walpot.

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2010, 10:41:21 pm »

I love your Steam Launch Andy. A great advantage is that you can always see the engine when it's running.

Underpressure

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2010, 10:50:51 pm »

I vote to leave the Carnation tin in place, it adds character.  {-)

Looking good Andy.

Neil

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2010, 08:10:26 am »

Andy...in the last two .jpgs we see just aft of the gas tank....the BLUE servo with a RED linkage arm attached to the main steam regulator............

But what is the servo encased in? ....it nearly appears to be encased  >:-o up to the top cover in GREEN epoxy ...or is it an optical illusion

Great conversion build  :-)) ..........Derek
Derek,
Its just a piece of ply painted green, the forward bench seats used to cover this area, but I needed more space, and had to cut the seats down, (see early pics in this thread), so the idea was to create a 'dirty ' area the blue servo will either be painted or covered to hide it. Originally the two servos were in the aft bench seat, but there were linkages running everywhere, so I simplified it by making the linkage direct, taking a leaf out of Bernard's book now they have to be hidden, the larger forward and reverse servo, ( bottom right 1st pic), will either be a coal bunker or work top with a few tools on. I did wonder whether to make the green area 'rough' planks.

Andy

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2010, 08:27:57 am »

I love your Steam Launch Andy. A great advantage is that you can always see the engine when it's running.

I like the idea of seeing it all as well. I originally built this launch because I usually build tugs, and they were all plywood and plasticard, covered in paint, so I built the launch to be able to make some nice woodwork that could be seen, the steam plant is a bonus on top, just more work to keep polished.
Here are a couple of photos of one of my tugs

:-)

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2010, 08:36:14 am »

The next job is a condenser/oily water separator, from this 12inch (300mm) piece of copper tubing courtesy of ebay (£5.00/ 5.70 Euro)including some brass plate for the base and top, I think 3 inches tall should be plenty.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2010, 02:52:58 pm »

Condenser completed, just needs a polish. went for 3 1/2 inches in the end, so that it is just visible above the coaming, its not as if it cost me anymore, it may be more efficient being taller.

final coat of varnish on floors, then re fit steam plant plus condenser after work tomorrow. :-))
Andy

mogogear

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2010, 05:44:36 pm »

Handy work on the condenser Andy :-)) I have never understood why the shops sell those things for almost as much as a pressurized gas tank. Making those and displacement oilers saves me some money for more "steam boats " of course..

One day my dream launch...a MH&B Seekadett--but till then I am having fun learning and building...as you sure are!!

Nice tug also !

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2010, 05:55:06 pm »

Mo,
They are expensive,I could have got one for £75.00  ($122 US) for the kit, but it just makes the whole job more expensive, I have ordered some unions for £7.50, so that will make the whole thing about £12.00  ($20.00) plus two hours labour. I was tempted too make another one with the left over metal tube and put it on ebay, if I hadn't got the copper tube so cheap i would have used a tin can i think, just for now. Abit larger than the carnation can!!!! :}

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2010, 10:12:48 pm »

Andy.......@ 3 1/2" diameter you could plank it & add brass bands to compliment the boiler...... O0 and if you still have planks & brass strip left over ....plank the gas tank to compliment the boiler & condenser...... :-)) .....it is good fun......Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2010, 03:11:33 pm »

Derek,
I had thought of that, its nice to have penty of polished metal about, but it gets hot, so I will probably plank the condenser to match the boiler, it will look smart, and it will be cooler if your hands touch the condenser. I have plenty of mahogany from building the boat and also enough brass banding the same as I used on the boiler. I have to plumb the exhaust pipe into the flue and all is finished then, I will also probably build a removable cabin for the aft end, just for some thing else to do. I was going to lag the gas tank as well, but I think it needs the exposer to keep warm so the pressure stays up on the gas, it gets warm in the corner by the gas tank so it helps to pressurise the gas.
Andy

kno3

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2010, 07:45:56 pm »

Andy.......@ 3 1/2" diameter you could plank it & add brass bands to compliment the boiler...... O0 and if you still have planks & brass strip left over ....plank the gas tank to compliment the boiler & condenser...... :-)) .....it is good fun......Derek

I think it's not a good idea to plank the gas tank. You don't want to insulate it, that would only exacerbate the freezing effect.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2010, 09:29:09 pm »

kno 3
I agree, as I said in my last post , it is quite warm in the corner by the gas tank, with radiated heat off the boiler, so it will help tokeep the gas flowing if it isn't lagged. I will lag the condenser though, it gets hot, just had a trial run in the house with everything fitted, have run the steam exhaust up the flue (stack), looks well with steam coming from the stack, my wife has kept on and on about smoke not coming from the stack. well, it does now  :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2010, 09:33:46 pm »

kno3.......yesterday it was 40 degrees C [ambient in the shade] in Adelaide.......show an uninsulated gas tank to direct sunshine & it would be 65 degrees C .... {-) Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

mogogear

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2010, 09:48:28 pm »

Nice steam plant there Derek...A nice paddler go along with it??? O0 Please share!!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2010, 06:18:48 am »

mogogear...kno3 understands me ........this is an embarrassingly slow build. :embarrassed: .........in the photograph from FWD to AFT

Bix gas tank........ yes insulation & bands added for the temperatures in Australia
Anton gas regulator....I will have gas pressure gauging pre & post the regulator
ACS Engineering [Sandy Campbell] VB2 boiler [brass bands outstanding] & condenser [yes insulation & bands added]
Winfried Niggle quartz glass tubed lubricator
JMC 3H twin cylinder horizontal engine
4:1 stainless steel miniature roller chain drive reduction to the paddle shaft
ACS steam regulator
A myriad of small brass shaft couplings & wheel fitttings by 'bogstandad'
Naturally all of the steam components shown are on the engine plate but is resting on deck level.........they will all reside lower in the hull

Not shown are a set of CNC produced paddle wheels via Float a Boat here in OZ

The hull is cedar plank on ..frame.......I drew the hull lines in December 2000......... >>:-( see what I mean ......Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2010, 10:24:37 am »

Its b****y freezing here,  :(( I've been to Oz alot when I was at sea on container ships, should have stayed there. Wouldn't have problems with cold gas tanks.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2010, 11:39:43 pm »

The launch had its steam maiden today, brilliant, but think I may have over propped the engine. I got a steam 3 blade prop from prop shop, 2.2 inches dia, the pitch is quite course. The boat has a nice scale speed, with out the engine doing a lot of revs, will try a smaller 55m prop tomorrow with finer pitch, if I get a few more revs from the engine with out it being ridiculous I may go for the standard prop from prop shop, same diameter, but less pitch, think the standard prop is 2.2 dia and 2.2 pitch, whereas the steam prop is 2.2 x 3.0, glad I didn't go for 4 blade. I found that when the engine is running ashore the engine has variable speed right thro the range on the radio control, but in the water the engine did not go any faster after half throttle, thats why I think it could be over propped, not that it is a bad thing, I had good run time. Will post some video and photos next week when I get a chance, on nights at the moment.Any way pleased as punch with the outcome.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2010, 11:44:06 pm »

it should spin that bigger prop no problem, should  be able to spin a 4" prop.. I think more timing work req.

nice to see you have it sailing

Peter

Underpressure

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2010, 07:49:13 am »

Well done Andy, congrats on getting your first 'steam' boat launched.

Prop Shop props are very nice and I had one on my first tug, but after experiments were done for the 24 hr race I switched to Rivabo props, as both performance and run times were better with them.

Neil
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.