Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam Launch  (Read 42319 times)

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Steam Launch
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2010, 04:21:31 pm »

Well done Andy, congrats on getting your first 'steam' boat launched.

Prop Shop props are very nice and I had one on my first tug, but after experiments were done for the 24 hr race I switched to Rivabo props, as both performance and run times were better with them.

Neil

Neil I take it the 24 hour was for steam? See my next thread.
Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2010, 04:39:48 pm »

Well after today I think the boat is not over propped, probably quite the opposite, tried a smaller prop and used a lot of steam, the engine has the toque to turn a larger prop, less revs, less steam. It was also cold today which made raising steam a bit of a task. Will now try a four blade prop, if I go up a size I will need to alter the keelson to provide clearance at the bottom of the prop, I have room above above the prop to clear the hull so maybe do both 2 1/2 inch 4 blade. Well pleased with performance, it was blowy today so needed the thrust.

Underpressure

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2010, 04:42:05 pm »

Neil I take it the 24 hour was for steam? See my next thread.
Andy

Slightly ancient history Andy.

In 1996 or 7, Tone Valley Club ran a 24hour race for model boats. Michael Porter decided to put a steam boat together to get the world record for the distance a model steam boat could cover in 24 hours. Deans Marine provided a hull and Cheddar Models put a Puffin engine with a slightly larger boiler. Michael and Iain Holland did some testing and came up with suitable radio batteries, prop, run times etc and Jerry Watson and myself were the two other 'crew'. We had one minor breakdown, when the boat hit something submerged, or to be totally correct it was the other way round as we were sailing on the river Tone. We had to change a steering servo, which cost us probably 20 minutes. In the end we set a new record of 44 miles.

As I recall, the winning boat was a 67" long drifter which only had one battery change in the whole 24 hours!

Neil

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2010, 05:04:21 pm »

Very short video, its hard to video and drive at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKGtRI8z5xY

Neil,
I remember something about the 24 hour, yes its a long time ago, Model boats or marine modelling I think did a report.

Andy

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2010, 05:25:18 pm »

and this is what it looked like, I have the hull to build at some point so took loads of pictures for ideas, it,s a nice hull as it has a fiberglass superstructure which is hand for steam

peter

Underpressure

« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2010, 05:55:31 pm »

The hull was based on the Christian Brunnings (seen behind) and the model was loosely based on Thames and other similar river tugs. The P&O logo was applied because Michael had a connection or a little sponsorship from P&O....I think. Andy, you are taxing my (very poor) memory.

We did have some fun and I have vivid memories of walking up and down the river bank in the very early hours of Sunday morning, with the gennie of the tea tent running and a few lights strung up to help us see the boats. That was before it rained.  >:-o

Neil

kno3

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2010, 10:08:56 pm »

Cool, seems to work quite well!

Bernhard

« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2010, 03:17:22 pm »

Hi,,,Andy it look real great on the water...well don,,,,I'm glad that your engine work OK now,,,,i have 3 of them,,,bot i did bay them ready made with hex bolt from Graham...........after some month i got a problem with one....i just send it to Graham..he fix it fast and in a few days i did have it back,,,no cost....i was afraid to make the engine myself...if i lost eny of the small screws or parts,,,hope you will find a nice Captain to the boat.....And get many good hours on the lake

Regards Bernhard

mogogear

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2010, 05:56:26 am »

I had exactly the same sentiments as you Andy on " how to steer and shoot the video"  at the same time...with out hitting something- or dropping the camera %%

BTW- I see you are in South Wales...Cardiff by any chance ? I have a friend in Cardiff who is quite a steam boater enthusiast as well!

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2010, 06:33:31 am »

the Boat looks good on the water but, the question is , ARE YOU HOOKRD ON STEAM ? some people try it and then wont use any other power some think it's not worth the bother, you have had a few problems getting the motor right but still seem enthusiastic.

Peter

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2010, 09:10:03 am »

the Boat looks good on the water but, the question is , ARE YOU HOOKRD ON STEAM ? some people try it and then wont use any other power some think it's not worth the bother, you have had a few problems getting the motor right but still seem enthusiastic.

Peter
well the boat isn't finished yet, I am a 'busy' person, its easy to get bored with electric, but steam keeps you busy and thiniking, this has been a four year project. Now i have to make the boat look 'lived in'. My tug models have allways had oill drums, crew and ropes of the trade strewn around, now got to do the same with the launch, maybe not to the same standard as bernard, he is an expert. Also i want to build a cabin aft, this will lift off so it can be an open launch or cabin launch. Also thinking of my next project, a launch with a wooden hull. Once a modeler always...

Andy

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2010, 10:04:03 pm »

I have now updated my website to include some steam launch stuff
www.windpowersals.8m.com

Andy

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2010, 06:29:59 pm »

I have now updated my website to include some steam launch stuff
www.windpowersals.8m.com

Andy

I have tried the link and it does not show anythink.

just out of interest is your tank removable for filling ?

Peter

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2010, 11:15:56 pm »

Hi,
Yes the gas tank is removable, I use the dreaded ronson type filler, fill, open the valve to expel some pressure with the fill bcylinder still attached, close the valve and refit. I tried one of the knurled nuts to save using a spanner, but the thread was different so I just use  a spanner. I have only just got my boat running on steam so haven't given a lot of thought yet to the gas supply, will stick with what I have for the moment untill I see something better.

Try this link
http://www.windpowersails.8m.com/

It is cut and pasted direct from the explorer. I just tried the above link and for some reason it gives the freeservers page weird. I usually test my links, but because it is my own page did not bother, I can't go back to edit it now.
Andy

Underpressure

« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2010, 07:00:57 am »

The installation looks fine Andy. I wouldn't worry about venting gas while filling, all the commercial tanks available are designed to be filled using the Ronson valve.

I was club boiler tested for Cheddar Steam Club for a number of years and tested gas tanks to pressures far in excess of those found in any boiler; I never had so much as a leak from a filler valve, or anywhere else for that matter.

Neil

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2010, 12:29:24 pm »

Neil,
I'm a bit if it workd leave it.  Where do you steam over your way,? I used to go to Sedgemoor model yacht club pond at Highbridge quite frequently when I sailed One metres and also the lake at Portishead.
Andy

Underpressure

« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2010, 03:38:04 pm »

Where do you steam over your way,?

With the weather we've had recently, I don't sail at all  {-)

I am just getting back into steam after a break, but I will be sailing at Cheddar Steam Club and probably Portishead as well. I used to belong to both clubs and intend to rejoin.

Cheddar have several open weekends, where any one is welcome and you can bring boats along. Linky: http://www.cheddar-steam-club.org.uk/

Neil

kusuchi

« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2010, 01:42:50 am »

[quote aut ok2 ok2 ok2hor=HS93 link=topic=3755.msg216777#msg216777 date=1264487611]

Peter
[/quote]

Having watched Andy's video, (and many others), how could one not be 'hooked on steam'!  The Lady Margaret looks magnificent, with a wonderful plume of steam coming from the funnel.  By comparison, the electric vessel she passes looks somewhat insipid. 

Sure, steam is a lot more work, but the rewards of witnessing such a piece of model engineering in motion cannot be surpassed. :-)

(I do realize I'm preaching to the converted here, though  ;) )!

red_noir

« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2010, 01:50:26 am »

hooked on steam !

I was hooked as soon as I fired up my boiler for the first time ! the sound of the burner the hissing and popping ! it almost seemed to have taken on a life of its own !! I was mesmerized !

Underpressure

« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2010, 07:01:33 am »

When I first began sailing a steam tug, the hobby was still very much the preserve of the model engineer, so steam models were few and far between. I was sailing on Portishead lake and several people commented on the tug 'with smoke coming out of the funnel', not realising they were standing next to the owner (rc is great for that). I brought the tug by, slowly and very close to the bank, so that the steam plant could be seen through the engine room vents. The reaction was great, as the watchers suddenly realised it was a steam model. This happened quite often and long conversations often followed.

Steam brings a model to life.

Neil

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2010, 08:15:00 am »

With the weather we've had recently, I don't sail at all  {-)

I am just getting back into steam after a break, but I will be sailing at Cheddar Steam Club and probably Portishead as well. I used to belong to both clubs and intend to rejoin.

Cheddar have several open weekends, where any one is welcome and you can bring boats along. Linky: http://www.cheddar-steam-club.org.uk/

Neil
Will keep my eye on the web site and try to get over sometime. Looks well orga nised and some nice models.
Andy

Underpressure

« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2010, 05:07:08 pm »

I would be great to meet up Andy.

I have not attended for a couple of years, but there are always some eye openers at the open days, as even when the factory was running, we would encourage all steam boaters to come along, not just Cheddar owners. Some of the models that would turn up were fascinating in their design and construction.

Neil

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2010, 08:38:12 pm »

Had a visit to my local lake sunday, going to leave steam untill the weather warms up, takes ages to get steam up, even using hot water from a flask, have now trouble in the kitchen, except that the sink is to small :-))

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2010, 08:45:58 pm »

what gas are you using ?

Peter

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2010, 09:25:08 pm »

I am using Go system Propane/Butane mix from Focus, or the equivalent from B&Q. Think its just the cold weather, works great in the house.
Andy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 22 queries.