Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam Launch  (Read 42318 times)

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Steam Launch
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2010, 08:03:41 pm »

Wish I had time to go for a steam, struggling a bit lately., now its windy!!!
Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

benjaml1

« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2010, 09:01:36 pm »

I'm using the same "Gosystem" & have been doing some tests in preparation for tomorrow ( please don't let it rain Lord.) & am finding that as the tank gets close to empty ( yes I can still hear it sloshing) its calorific value ( ???) seems to drop ??? Something going on, separation of gasses I spose, light ends off first..  :o

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2010, 09:47:58 pm »

Is the temperature of the tank getting lower?
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

benjaml1

« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2010, 10:14:02 pm »

Is the temperature of the tank getting lower?

Yes, I'm running on my auxilliary cartridge tank & it feels a little chilly....

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2010, 10:41:13 am »

Then it could be that the rate of evaporation is being reduced by the reduction in temperature to the point where it is having an effect on the flame.  Some modellers warm the tank with a line from the engine exhaust running under the tank but this can then cause a lot of spitting from the funnel as you condense some of the exhaust steam.

Possibly the easist way is to simply be aware of it and, if you have an "auxiliary tank", simply change them over as they become cool.  The stand by tank should then warm up again and return to a normal pressure.  It is also well worth remembering that the rate of cooling is proportional to the rate of evaporation in the first place so being as careful with your gas consumption place plays a big part.  If you can possibly initially raise steam pressure on the bank from yet another tank that will be really beneficial to maintaining the temperature in your gas tank, which will then not even start to fall until you put the model in the water.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

benjaml1

« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2010, 04:46:17 pm »

Excellent advice, I am still learning. Many thanks...  :-))

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2010, 11:55:36 am »

I find it is a definite advantage to get up steam with a different heat source. I usually use a plumbers torch attached to a 4kg gas bottle but also have a smaller Kovea brand plumbers torch that attaches to the cylindrical camping stove gas cylinder. There is one model of this brand of torch which has a preheat tube in the nozzle which allows it to be used in any position. The other alternative is just to use one of your almost empty disposable cannisters and then fit a new one before sailing. Hope this helps, Ian.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.