Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soviet/Russian G5 Motor Torpedo Boat  (Read 7568 times)

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
Soviet/Russian G5 Motor Torpedo Boat
« on: March 12, 2012, 11:45:15 am »

Does any one have any info on this boat? thinking of it as my next project but cant find an awfull lot on the web. Turned to the oracle that is MBM. Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Colin
grumpy old XXX

Umi_Ryuzuki

Re: Soviet/Russian G5 Motor Torpedo Boat
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 05:58:00 pm »

Good Gawd, why would anyone have any information on such an obscure boat?
And if they did, they probably would keep it to themselves.
Especially the Russians. Top secret stuff you know.

%)

Oh, Can't post the others, as the files seem to be four to five times to large.
Guess they would have to be sent directly. Send me an e-mail.  ok2

TailUK

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:01:18 am »

My memory may be playing tricks again but that hull looks a lot like an early Thornycroft Torpedo Boat. (The one where the torpedo was carried in the middle and slid off the stern.)

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 11:24:42 am »

Umi, cant find youre email address. PM me please if you would like. there is a book and I am trying to find a UK stockist. Fat chance. there is also a resin/plastic model but very expensive. Another company also has one in the pipe line, for ages.
tailuk, yes it does look like the early Thorncroft, but if memory serves, it carried one torpedo.
grumpy old XXX

raflaunches

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:41:01 am »

Hi Colin

Try looking at the Models by Design website, they have a semi-kit in 1/24? scale which was released last year at the Warwick show.

Regards

Nick B

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 02:05:18 pm »

That is what i am going to use as the hull. Far to lazy to make my own. But i do like to get it to look as true to the real thing as possible. There is a lot of deck detail that I doubt will be shown on the drawing that comes with the hull.
grumpy old XXX

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 06:12:10 pm »

Umi, cant find youre email address. PM me please if you would like.

Isn't there an "envelope" beneath my name you can click?  :((
PM sent  ok2

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 10:50:21 pm »

I think this old pic out of my fathers wartime photo album may be of interest to you, my father titled it as " they think all Russian ships are old fashion, a Russian admirals barge. It looks very much like what you are describing, I have another pic in the album a little more above it.

Yevgeniy

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 09:16:53 pm »

But i do like to get it to look as true to the real thing as possible. that comes with the hull.
Hi, colin, here is a thread on Russian forum with lots of pictures:
http://forums.airbase.ru/2007/02/t53986,2--torpednyj-kater-g-5.html
Here is a build-thread: http://forums.airbase.ru/2011/04/t81914,3--postrojka-modeli-torpednogo-katera-g-5.html

Some pictures from my archive on G-5. Note that there were several versions of G-5 with same hull but different armament.

If you need plans PM me with your e-mail and I will send you the materials - love to see more G-5 built ;-)

Cheers,

yevgeniy

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 09:39:26 pm »

I think that's a really handsome craft - I don't think any of the CMBs had covered cockpits - tho someone will surely prove me wrong!

Yevgeniy

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 10:17:10 pm »

Yes, it is quite a looker but it has 2 props so no way to make a model with gas engine (two gas engines on a model is a pain in the (!) - so 40ft CMB is my only chance if I get hold of plans.

Cheers,

Yevgeniy
P.S. Some more pics to see the beaty of G-5 This craft was supposed to make 55 knots and first ones did (with European engines) but other ones with Russian engines made a little less but around it  :-)

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 10:09:37 am »

Yevgeniy
Thanks for the info. think I have most of them already, but not sure about the build logs. I also found some drawings for a, Danish(I think) version, on a site. the text was in Cyrrillic(?) so not sure which language, forgive me. I shall be starting soon so may well be in touch for info. I can not find any info on the machine guns, either clear photos or drawings, dont suppose you can help?. The other grey area is how the torpedoes are launched. I know the are pushed out by a compressed air ram, but they seem to sit on the deck. Seems a bit strange. Friction would be a nightmare, any clues?

Thanks for your responce

Colin
grumpy old XXX

Yevgeniy

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 12:21:13 pm »

Colin, hi

Here is a photo of ДШК (DShK) machine gun on G-5 and drawing of naval DShK - G-5 had the same but without that 'stand' (or how it is called)

I had to make first two pictures smaller (3d is small in original) as forum allows downloading only 161kB or something.  Hope that helps.

You can google that machine gun as DShK machine gun. Here a pic from first google results http://svsm.org/albums/12mm_dshk_naval/IMGP0035.jpg Note that this machine gun had several modifications on tanks, for infantry, ships & boats.

As to torpedo launch system it is grey area for me also as I have not investigated that so deeply - torpedos hide that area on a model plus model depending on its scale allows certain simplifications compared to real thing.

Cheers,

Yevgeniy

Cheers,

Yevgeniy

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 01:29:27 pm »

I can see that you are going to be an important part of this project. Thanks again.

grumpy old XXX

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 10:29:47 pm »

On the CMBs the torpedoes slid on bronze rails which continued along the tops of the outriggers. There must have been some sort of studs or other supports on the torpedo.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.