Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Drought in Engerland  (Read 23625 times)

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
Drought in Engerland
« on: June 12, 2012, 07:43:05 pm »

Just last month,Thames Water, along with other water companies imposed a hosepipe ban,...Then one of Thames Water employees, went on to say, "what we need is lots & lots  of rain"...........Well!!!!!!!
Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Drought in Engerland
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:47:40 pm »

There seems no coincidence that it started raining the day the hosepipe banned was imposed, and has barely stopped since.
It will only be rescinded when that nice old gentleman with the long beard has finished building his boat.  Donations of animals in pairs are requested.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:55:30 pm »

48 flood warnings in place and we cant even wash the car with the hose.....- britiain in 2012 - great huh !

all in all its just another brick in the wall......

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:56:42 pm »

We had scorching weather up here, in but we never have hosepipe bans,...its probably because, normally its us that get the rain,...but as the manny said on the tv last night, "its all to do with the Gulf Stream"its...its Fault,....and here was me thinking,..."old man with white beard"...what old man?

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 08:00:35 pm »

48 flood warnings in place and we cant even wash the car with the hose.....- britiain in 2012 - great huh !

I used my Pressure washer on Sunday, and it uses zillions of gallons, and i,ll be watering my plants tonight, with the spray attachment on my hose.......and maybe use my pressure washer again tomorra,No hosepipe ban up here,

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 08:05:46 pm »

People are actually taking notice of the hosepipe ban?  %%

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 09:19:26 pm »

And now we find that a Mr.Baggs (boss of Thames Water) is about to pocket around another £4m in bonuses.
Isn't there something wrong here?  BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 09:21:21 pm »

I have been doing some research into this one.

The last few winters have had lowish rainfall. But this low rainfall has been well within normal variation. In the UK variations by 33% either side of the nominal average are quite common. You handle variation in rainfall by storing water in the wet periods to use in the dry ones. For the South East, about 70% of storage is in underground aquifers, which are hard to expand. That means that any increase in water storage must come from surface reservoirs.

We have had an 11% increase in population in the SE, and much more is expected. The water companies realised this, and have proposed 5 new reservoirs, and extensions to 3 more, to cope. Abingdon reservoir near Oxford, the Clay Hill reservoir near Canterbury, and a huge reservoir at Broad Oak, near Folkestone. There is also Havant Thicket, a £36m project between Havant and Rowlands Castle, and the Lower Severn reservoir, in the Severn Trent Water area. These plans were funded, and placed in their 20-year plans released in 2004.

Not one has been started. ALL these reservoir works have been halted by government intervention, because it is government policy that we should use 20% less water (see the government 'Water Futures' policy document (2008)). If we all use 20% less water, then these reservoirs will not be needed.

I am not sure why we are being required to cut our water consumption. It seems to be associated with a directive from the EU - a “Communication” issued in 2007 by the European Commission (COM (2007) 414 Final) “addressing the challenge of water scarcity and droughts in the European Union”. This requires all member states to plan to 'save water'.

So none of the five reservoirs deemed essential in 2004, all in the south of England, have seen the light of day. And neither have the three reservoir extensions, although one, the Abberton Reservoir enhancement, in Essex, is due to come on-stream in 2014. And this is NOT because the water companies have tried to avoid paying for them - it is because the government is implementing an 'environmental policy' of 'saving water' and has refused permission for ALL the planned reservoirs to go ahead.

I have been complaining to my MP, to DEFRA and to the CCWater customer representative body about this. Water cannot be destroyed - we can save and use as much as we want without harming the water cycle at all. But DEFRA's view is that we are more 'environmentally friendly' if we use less water.

If anyone wants to add to my lone calls into the centre of government for the planned and required reservoirs to be built, it would be greatly appreciated...

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 09:33:10 pm »

Just one question?  Where is Engerland?  Never heard of Engerland.  Is it near Gelderland?   
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 09:54:03 pm »

Just one question?  Where is Engerland?  Never heard of Engerland.  Is it near Gelderland?   
Last time I watched the footie, all the English supporters were shouting, c,mon Engerland????? as for Gelderland,mmm, I thought F came after E,

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 09:57:08 pm »

engerland is just north of brussels..... they seem to be calling all the shots... {:-{

England has plenty of rainfall, i remember my formative years growing up in the lake district, i  remember it being  said that borrowdale was the wettest place in england.....

even if its not,  we have plenty of orrographic rainfall over areas of higher ground....so lets get this water where its needed......

lets totally shelve plans for HS2- a silly railway line than cuts 20 minutes off the journey time from london to Birmingham with no stops en route.... at a cost of billions - lets shelve this and actually put in a water main for the whole of england- so if we are short of water in the west we pump if from a part of the country that has water is plentiful supply....
surely being able to flush a 'xxxxx' and use your hose pipe is more sensible than saving 20 mins on a train journey...?

2012  a modern nation, surely we need to think this through !!!

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 10:13:16 pm »

We,ve got loads of nice soft Scottish water,...if we go it alone we could easily sell England some,after all we make Malt Whisky with it,so it must be good, unlike the hard water you get in the south,

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 10:27:43 pm »

Ah malt made by those nice scotch folk for the Engerlish
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 10:59:30 pm »

Ah malt made by those nice scotch folk for the Engerlish
And you talk about me yanking chains, {-)

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 11:01:04 pm »

We,ve got loads of nice soft Scottish water,...if we go it alone we could easily sell England some,after all we make Malt Whisky with it,so it must be good, unlike the hard water you get in the south,

i've got lovely soft water thanks...........got a water softener fitted !!!!

Stavros

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 11:08:55 pm »

And Wales hasnt got a hose pipe ban HE HE cos we got plenty of water

Dave

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 12:14:48 am »

BBC News

Drought: Three water firms set to lift hosepipe bans.  The companies said their hosepipe bans would end on Thursday after an official announcement on Wednesday. Thames Water also signalled it would lift its ban.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18419163
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 01:02:13 pm »

It appears that after the weeks of seemingly endless rain we are to expect tornadoes now !  :o

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/326247/Flooded-streets-now-get-ready-for-tornadoes
I've never been so sure of something I wasn't sure of...

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 06:01:01 pm »

And Wales hasnt got a hose pipe ban HE HE cos we got plenty of water

..... and very nice it is too Dave, it comes out of my tap in Liverpool, a really soft water.
It also means when there is a drought I can pray for rain somewhere else - Lake Vyrnwy / Llyn Efyrnwy, Powys.

Dave

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 07:08:42 pm »

BBC News

Drought: Three water firms set to lift hosepipe bans.  The companies said their hosepipe bans would end on Thursday after an official announcement on Wednesday. Thames Water also signalled it would lift its ban.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18419163

it looks like the clowns we get our water from are not prepared to lift the ban !!!- typical !

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 07:19:59 pm »

I've come to the conclution that our water company is loosing so much money with the hosepipe ban now they have put us on a water meter. Will still wash the car with a bucket as it is so much cheaper. Anyone want to buy a hoespipe? {-) {-) {-) Alan

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 07:25:44 pm »

I can only assume, that you along with the rest of England have water meters on your domestic water supply,...up here in Scotland we don,t,its only commercial premises that have meters,

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 07:27:20 pm »

They have a beeping cheek talking about us wasting water -
I wonder what percentage of their water is lost in leaks?
Huyton has had some truly major mains failures over the last few years.

News has just said four companies not lifting bans due to their supplies are from underground aquifers.

Dave

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 08:05:37 pm »

Now don't be silly Wullie what would we need water meters for here in the north - there is plenty of rain. It doesn't just rain in Scotland you know

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 08:09:39 pm »

They have a beeping cheek talking about us wasting water -
I wonder what percentage of their water is lost in leaks?
Huyton has had some truly major mains failures over the last few years.

News has just said four companies not lifting bans due to their supplies are from underground aquifers.

Dave

they were talking about this on the radio this morning- it was said one third of thames water supply is lost through leaks.....dont know if this is correct or not !
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.