Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaving your child in the boozer  (Read 16600 times)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Leaving your child in the boozer
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2012, 01:56:28 am »

but how do you do a tick - it's 01:40am + my 55years and I still can't do a tick in (or out of) a box.

Dave
Can't find one on my keyboard, either.  Can't be bothered to look at the character map in system tools, either.  Back to a last shot of Grappa and my steaming pit.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2012, 10:26:27 pm »

Yes, once you've been told who to hate, life is much simpler.
Having read the Daily Mule, I started disliking everybody I was previously unsure about, and truly detesting everybody that I previously disliked, while turning to the opinion that the Nihilists that in my younger days that I had been taught were a "not good" thing, were, om available empirical evidence, the most valid game in town. {:-{

PS Wullie, there is another comma sign on the same button that does @.  Makes reading so much easier :-))
Not on my keyboard Malcolm, my @ is above number 2
Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2012, 10:36:49 pm »

Not on my keyboard Malcolm, my @ is above number 2

They all are, on a standard QERTY keyboard, which am told is the normaly used/supplied keyboard.

So I am none the wiser.  {:-{ {:-{
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2012, 10:43:32 pm »

just press @ and you will get there's instead of there,s
to get the @ displayed just hold down shift and press @

Dave (who can't find a tick)  :embarrassed:

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2012, 11:31:22 pm »

I have no problem getting the @ its above the 2,...as for ticks, my cat gets one or two a week,.....she,s a hunter in the long grass,so its my job to get them off,....i can send you one Dave,  {-)
Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2012, 12:07:34 am »

It's Probably a Scottish made k/board remember nothing up there is compatable with the rest of the UK   {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Peter

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2012, 06:24:26 am »

There's no tick on a standard QWERTY keyboard. Normally clicking inside a box on an on-line form will produce a tick.

Wullie, to get the apostrophe (') simply press the key with " and ' on it. Having an apostrophe (') instead of a comma (,) does make for easier reading. For example, "Wullie's" is easier to read than "Wullie,s". I hope this helps.

Peter.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2012, 07:45:06 am »

Sounds like wullie has a US keyboard

UK Keyboard layout
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2012, 08:33:50 am »

Yep, UK keyboard.
..well can you land on this?

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2012, 08:50:13 am »

Sounds like wullie has a US keyboard

Same keyboards as used in Oz, so we need to be careful as we are a world wide forum, so keyboards differ, amucha like da lingo dus  %) %) O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2012, 09:08:53 am »

There's no tick on a standard QWERTY keyboard. Normally clicking inside a box on an on-line form will produce a tick.

Hi Peter, thanks but it's not for on line use. I do loads of work safety related stuff and so cut and paste the ticks. The forms are designed to be ticked with a pen but I email mine so there's no physical storage to do. So I continue to seek the tick .......... do you think I'm just looking for approval?  {-)

Hey I never knew we were using different Keyboards .......seems daft.

Dave

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2012, 09:40:05 am »

And macs have different keyboards too...

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2012, 09:42:11 am »

Just to confuse matters this is what I see when looking at the keyboard

Mac keyboards also vary according to location

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2012, 10:53:29 am »

And the tick doesn't live on the keyboard - it seems you need to go to wingdings2 in the character map, and there it is.  Downside is, it only works where the Wingdings 2 font is available, such as the text handling programs on your PC.  If the file goes or is being created elsewhere, like, say a web forum, where that font is not available, the system just does the best it can, which is likely to be a capital P in whatever font is being used.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2012, 11:33:26 am »

Ok thanks - just opened the word type program, went wingdings, then insert, then special character and scrolled down. There it was and it went onto the page as a tick.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2012, 02:03:59 pm »

so did the child have the wrong key board then ? is that why she was left having a glass off pop for 5 min because the key board was wrong or why are we talking about them in this post   {-) {-) {-) {-)

Peter

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2012, 03:08:41 pm »

I think they call it "getting sidetracked" %% %%

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2012, 03:11:15 pm »

I don't go to the boozer with my Kids, the last time I did they left me there to pay there tab.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2012, 03:11:40 pm »

The Old Days

Who else can remember the BC (before children ) pubs, you know, the ones that DIDN'T allow kiddies in, or those that did, insisted they leave at 9pm ?
The one place where a geezer could, if he was lucky (or single) escape the screaming kids and even louder screaming missus, if only for a couple of hours on a Sunday lunchtime (called DINNER time where I was dragged up !)
Roast taters, cheese cubes, peanuts and pickled onions on the bar, till the EU stopped all that on 'hygiene' grounds ! The raffle that was always accompanied by many shouts of 'FIX' when the winner was announced and a 'proper' dartboard...you know, the type with NO trebles ! the fishing club that organised away matches from time to time and even a savings club for the more spendthrift. The annual trip to 't seaside (strangely enough ALWAYS Cleethorpes) complete with crate of brown on 't back seat o 't sharrer ! And remember the days when the place opened at 12 and closed at 2pm on a Sunday and a 'late lock in' was a once in a blue moon occurrence which was quite often attended by the local "bobby", and, most importantly, loud foul and offensive language was just not allowed, and if after one warning it continued, then out it was !!

There is a pub local to where I live and I have been in there just the once..never again ! I'm afraid that screaming brats hurtling round indoors on bicycles..riding into customers' legs..screaming at a frequency that even a deaf bat could hear..attempting to drag the beer towels off the bar c/w customers' drinks..and in one extreme case, begging money from the customers for the sweety machines. I have to say now that these juvenile terrorists are the landlord's kids, and he let's them treat the pub as a playground, citing the ability to 'keep an eye on 'em' as an excuse. The only problem is that the customers are forced to keep both eyes and ears on 'em.

Sadly, we'll NEVER see the likes of the old fashioned pub again and working mens' clubs are closing with ever increasing frequency, only, as in the town where I am at present, to be turned into a Mosque or Islamic 'school' ( always thought that Muslims hated all contact with alcohol with a vengeance ?) That and the unnecessary use of loud offensive and foul language that is apparently mandatory on both sides of the bar.

Come back Vic Smeed...Dave Platt...Jack Morton and Co. ALL is forgiven.

Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2012, 03:56:49 pm »

Who else can remember the BC (before children ) pubs,

I have heard tell of a time BW  O0 (before women), a time when no decent woman would be found in a pub.
I'm too young (55) to know if this is only the wishful thinking of fools, or if indeed the golden age of pubs truly existed?

Dave

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2012, 04:04:26 pm »

My parents and SWTSMBO had pre-BC pubs and both left before kids were de rigour for patron torment. Trouble was, as we became more aff(eff)luant, the sorties across the channel led us to expect that the continental habit of taking "Little People" out to eateries should be thrust onto our bolt holes in the name of europeanism. The volume and vocabulary of todays "conversation" is the result of a generation raised with earplugs, blasting into the lugs at 20000000db as even sitting beside each other, it's necessary to "Talk" AT A VOLUME THE LOCAL CEMETARY CAN HEAR, this is of course providing you can find hostelries still in trade.

Todays shed like eateries ensure you can't have a quiet yack and thanks to the civil servants, a pint costs as much as the meal and even the background Muzak has been replaced by Murdock's guaranteed money spinner. Todays licensees have to grab what they can when they can from an ever decreasing clientell on increased opening times (Thanks Mr B liar).

Good old days, yes, I remember them well, but they won't return.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

ukmike

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2012, 04:14:28 pm »

It did exist Dave.
At least when I used to live and go out in Sheffield in the early 60's.
Have had many successes of a Friday and Saturday nights there, ( is that politically correct ? as I am prone to upsetting certain fractions).
Whatever the youngsters have done today I, we, have done before, the difference is that it wasn't quite so openly practiced.
BTW I have 8 years on you so should know a lot better than to talk about such things. ok2 ok2.

Mike.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2012, 05:41:32 pm »

Cleethorpes aint changed much  %% %% %%
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2012, 06:58:35 pm »

I have heard tell of a time BW  O0 (before women), a time when no decent woman would be found in a pub.
I'm too young (55) to know if this is only the wishful thinking of fools, or if indeed the golden age of pubs truly existed?

Dave

I WAS going to touch on the BW aspect but decided discretion IS the better part of valour, so kept schtum !

I wasn't born in South Yorkshire, but grew up there (3 - 16) and my old Mam was wont to say...."any woman what goes in a pub alone is a tart"   and perish the thought of a woman entering a pub on Sunday "dinner" !!

Go get the ducking stool Judd !
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2012, 07:20:52 pm »

and perish the thought of a woman entering a pub on Sunday "dinner" !!

No way me owd cocker, too busy owert stove mekint sunday roast.  :-))

Clugthorpes has changed, no more Lobby lud and now you slide on chip fat on concrete flags.

Regards Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.