Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Falklands Referendum.  (Read 3136 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Falklands Referendum.
« on: June 12, 2012, 09:27:57 pm »

I see/read today that the Falkland Islanders are going to have a referendum on the future sovereignty of the Islands.
Am I right, or am I wrong in thinking that the Gigraltarians did a similar thing a good few years ago? Didin't stop the Spaniards still causing problems.
What is it with these Spanish speaking people? At least the Italians just shrug their shoulders and mutter "whatever" (in Italian).BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Falklands Referendum.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 10:16:40 pm »

They just can,t get over losing half of the Armada, to Sir Francis and his pals {-) {-) {-) {-)
Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 06:00:33 pm »

They just can,t get over losing half of the Armada, to Sir Francis and his pals {-) {-) {-) {-)

If the truth be known Wullie, we came so very close to losing that conflict due to MOD inefficiency and "xxxxx" poor planning...to paraphrase the words of Wink Martingdale....I know, I was that gunner !

Bill
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 06:03:55 pm »

Should have used Mayhem's Mod's O0

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 06:22:24 pm »

Not really.....this was in the days of being NEEDED not FEEDED
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 07:14:47 pm »

Hi Bill

Sorry you've lost me there - I don't understand FEEDED?
Yes obvious to me the troops were needed then - we won't have many
left if things go on the way they are now - I was Listening to discussion of
compulsory redundancies yesterday; the mind boggles.

Dave

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 10:22:24 am »

June 14th 1982 eh ?  Just where DO the years go , and in the light of recent events, was it all worth it ?

alan.gamblin

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 12:47:42 pm »

Hello all,
I am no expert on referendums but a thought crossed my mind that surely an outside party with no interests would have to moderate or oversee this election?  Otherwise the Argies and friends will claim that this vote was fixed!!  Then it would be a waste of time?

Kind regards
Alan

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 03:49:38 pm »

The ways of democracy are strange.  When Iranians voted 98% in favour of creating an Islamic Republic, and North Korea supported their regime by a similar proportion, nations such as the USA have not exactly supported the overwhelming voice of those peoples.  The same will almost certainly be true for the Falklands, where the USA remains firmly on the fence.  Argentina has already stated it will not recognise the referendum.

I am sure it will be conducted openly and constitutionally, with international observers, but in the likely event of a massive vote for UK alignment nothing much will change other than there will be a verified article of expression rather than just surveys.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 04:01:16 pm »

If the Argentinians offered £1 million to each of the Falkland Islanders, I wonder which way the referendum would go?

The oil wealth would more than compensate for the "investment".

Or am I being cynical?

Ian

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 04:18:53 pm »

I think it has already been announced that international monitors would oversee the referendum so there can be no whinging from the Argie PM.

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 04:54:49 pm »

"It's not the people who vote that count. It's the people who count the votes." (Josef Stalin)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 05:46:49 pm »

Is this Forum really full of cynics?
Offering each Islander £1m is a real non-starter. It boils down to a way of life. Not everyone wants lots of money, contentedness and peace of mind also play a large part in many peoples lives. A bit of money would help "travel" I suppose, but then what?
Just look at Gibraltar. They've been putting up with Spanish aggression for longer than most folk have been alive....and they still reject (wisely) Spanish rule, even though most of them speak Spanish.
These Latins are great sabre-rattlers. BY.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 06:26:43 pm »

Is this Forum really full of cynics?
Offering each Islander £1m is a real non-starter. It boils down to a way of life. Not everyone wants lots of money, contentedness and peace of mind also play a large part in many peoples lives. A bit of money would help "travel" I suppose, but then what?
Just look at Gibraltar. They've been putting up with Spanish aggression for longer than most folk have been alive....and they still reject (wisely) Spanish rule, even though most of them speak Spanish.
These Latins are great sabre-rattlers. BY.

Brian,

I visit Gib on a regular basis, living just up the road and can tell you straight that the majority of it's inhabitants are not from Gibraltar. Many are from Spain and much further afield. The only reason they want to stay British is because of the low tax and VAT rates. The vast majority have never visited nor have any allegiance to Britain what so ever. It is simply a matter of finance and Gibraltar costs the British people a small fortune.

You only have to visit to see that the place IS a part of Spain geographically. If Britain introduced the normal UK tax rates on them, they would jump to Spain immediately...Most of the employees are Spanish..

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 08:40:05 pm »

I bow to your superior knowledge..
But at least (up until now) I can disagree.
Sure, the Gibraltarian populace has been inundated with tax exiles. I saw all that coming when I was based there. But I was talking about the local, stable population....not the here today and gone tomorrow lot. Cheers. BY.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 08:55:04 pm »

I know what you mean Brian. The trouble is there are very few of them left!!! <:(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.