Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plans to get a De Haviland Mosquito airbourne.  (Read 9292 times)

victorian

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Plans to get a De Haviland Mosquito airbourne.
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 02:53:42 pm »

Already being done, check this site out

http://www.mosquitorestoration.com/

I had the opportunity quite recently to visit the hangar at Ardmore airfield, just outside Auckland, where this job is being done. The work is to an extraordinarily high standard and the first of several aircraft should be ready to fly in September. All woodwork is entirely new, but virtually all the mechanical parts are genuine and original. They have built jigs for manufacturing both wings and fuselages and have used both modern and traditional adhesives.

They also have a complete fuselage of what I understand to be one of the '633 squadron' Mosquitos (a 2 seat side by side version), but this original assembly could never be flown again. Instead, they intend to rebuild the aircraft with new components built on the jigs, so they have a little production line going.

I promised not to publish any of the photos that I took but there are quite a few on the Avspecs (the company who are doing the job) website. What I saw was virtually a complete aircraft, with undercarriage cycling in progress on the day that I was there.

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 08:39:53 pm »

I had the opportunity quite recently to visit the hangar at Ardmore airfield, just outside Auckland, where this job is being done. The work is to an extraordinarily high standard and the first of several aircraft should be ready to fly in September.

The date has been confirmed as 29 September, (with the 30th as a weather day if needed) - KA114 will be displaying alongside Spitfire, Mustang and Kittyhawk  :-)) :-)) 8)

Now then, where's the cheapest ticket to NZ ;)
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 09:16:16 pm »

Book me one too please!    :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Restoration of PT658
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 06:54:34 pm »

Just got this DVD from Amazon well worth a look if you are into these Boats .Ignore the  Expensive one there is one for less than a fiver
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devil-Boat-The-Saga-PT658/dp/B000FNNI3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356374854&sr=8-1
Product Description
  Documentary on the PT boats of WWII. The story of John F. Kennedy and PT 109 is celebrated in this programme, along with the rescue of General Douglas MacArthur from the Phillippines by Lt. John D. Bulkley's PT boat. Known as the Mosquito Fleet, the small, fast and heavily armed PT boats did much to turn the tide in the Pacific, the Mediterranean and in the English Channel during WW II. The documentary also follows a group of Portland, Oregon PT boat Veterans as they attempt to resurrect a PT boat from the ravages of time and neglect, 60 years after the war's end.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Restoration of PT658
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 10:16:30 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2013, 10:58:53 pm »

Oh! to see a squadron of them flying.  O0 O0

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 11:17:56 pm »

the most beautiful aeroplane in the world, and I have personal reasons for saying those words.
my eyes are full just watching that video.

simply beautiful............long may she fly.

neil.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2013, 01:08:02 am »

Its just that I can only ever remember hearing of 2 airworthy Mozzies , one in Canada and the BAE one , just found a link that says the one in Canada and one in the US are under restoration and may fly in the next year or 2 so good news

That's really odd as the Mossie was kept in use after the war into the 50s, I think they were RAF meteorogical aircraft, and I think it is these aircraft that turn up in the 60s films '633 Squadron' & 'Mosquito Squadron'.

So you surprise me saying there are few, if any, flyable examples in the UK as they were kept in service longer than other conemporary aircraft.

Have to admit that the Mozzie is one of my all time favourite aircraft , fasted piston engined aircraft in WW2 I think

Yes, it's one of those aircarft (like the Spitfire) where form follows function.

I believe the photo reconnaisance version was the fastest thing up there til jets appeared. One of the type met a Lightning one day over England and they had their version of the race from the lights.  The American pilot must have been sorry he instigated it.

boman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2013, 09:10:00 am »

For what it is worth, the Mossie has now departed our shores, bound for the Americas. Where the man with the large check book lives. It was awesome to regularly have her flying overhead. The sound of one merlin is heavenly. But two. Gees ...

Avspecs, on Facebook, have some wonderful pictures and videos. And some interesting pics of the MkXIV they are tinkering with..

Barry

• Full Mayhemer

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 10:19:36 am »

Good to see one flying again. Saw one at a airshow, many, many years ago and she looked superb even if she was only a static display. It surprises me that of all the aircraft made in WWII very few remain in flying condition.
Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2013, 12:32:53 pm »

Saw one at a airshow, many, many years ago and she looked superb even if she was only a static display

Probably HTE/F, it did fly and gave many impressive displays, sadly it crashed. Think it belonged to RR or BAE

Much missed

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2013, 09:14:47 pm »

It surprises me that of all the aircraft made in WWII very few remain in flying condition.

Si,

There's only one reason that more warbirds aren't flying and that's cost.

To restore a Spit to flying condition can easily cost 6-7 figures depending on condition, then there's the annual maintenance costs to keep her airworthy for maybe 50 hours a year, and a Spit is one of the easier aircraft to restore compared to something like a Hurricane.  There's also only certain organizations that carry the certs to do this kind of work, and places to manufacture the parts.

Probably HTE/F, it did fly and gave many impressive displays, sadly it crashed. Think it belonged to RR or BAE

RR299 was owned by BAe, crashed just outside Barton on 21-July-96

Mark
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 23 queries.