Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Venetian Vaporetto Build  (Read 50777 times)

ukmike

Re: Venetian Vaporetto Build
« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2012, 08:44:47 am »

Could I offer, for sir's delectation, a Star Ferry from Hong Kong harbour

Dave

You must be psychic Dave, have been giving this one a little thought for next time, but again, very little information available.

The Hong Kong ferries are so ugly that they have become beautiful, ish.

Mike.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: August 29, 2012, 09:00:10 am »

or this one? S/S Tarjanne
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

ukmike

« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2012, 08:21:45 pm »

Hi All.

Have done some of the little, but important, fiddley jobs these last few days.

The big sticking point is solving the problem of how to disconnect the electrics in the removeable superstructure.

Making some headway on that front tho', waiting for parts from the orient is proving to be annoying.

Have found that although the quite superb Lifecolor paints, they don't last very long, (tiny pots for far too much money), there is however a very cheap alternative.

You experienced modellers out there may well be doing this already.

I have bought some tester pots of emulsion paint from Wilkinsons, at least 4 or 5 times the volume of the, "Modelers", paints, @ £1.00 a throw, diluted them with 50/50 water and windscreen washer fluid.

Perfect, if you can get the near enough colours, lots of other testers from other paint manufacturers so it should be quite easy and save pots of cash into the bargain.

What started life as a Kit is proving to be almost a scratch build as I'm changing almost everthing apart from the very delicate laser cut parts.

It's proving to be almost impossible to remain faithful to the 1/28th scale, so if you see some thing that is too big or too small, keep it to yourself, I really don't want to know about it. :-))

The photo of the upturned cabin is to show the lighting that I will use, one side complete, the other pre diffusers.

Also, a picture of the electronics / batteries etc. You can also see the two little loudspeakers fitted into the cabin checker plate floor, poor passengers !!

Some pictures to bring the build up to date.

Mike.

RJR

• Full Mayhemer
  • Currently building Maggie. M
    • RJRDaydreamer
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2012, 08:50:20 pm »

Just to let you know I have been following your build and finding it both interesting an impressive, she will be a beauty when she takes to the water.

One question, why do you dilute the emulsion with 50% washer fluid ?

John
My Maggie M thread on mayhem www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=38892.0
Blogging about life on www.rjrdaydreamer.blogspot.com
Member of Etherow Model Boat Club www.etherowmodelboats.blogspot.co.uk/

ukmike

« Reply #129 on: August 31, 2012, 09:00:30 pm »

Just to let you know I have been following your build and finding it both interesting an impressive, she will be a beauty when she takes to the water.

One question, why do you dilute the emulsion with 50% washer fluid ?

John
Hi John.
P.M. sent re washer fluid.
Mike.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2012, 09:01:55 pm »

AW!!!!  don't hold back, we'd all like to know.    :} :} :}

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2012, 09:12:55 pm »

Come on spill the beans you just cant state something and not say why that stems of secret squirrel society and we defo not one of them

Dave

ukmike

« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2012, 08:51:22 am »

Sorry guys.

Had no idea the emulsion thinner that I use would be of interest, didn't leave it out intentionally.

The following is just my personal opinion and based on what I have found, it works very well for me in practice.

Also, this is important, only use matt paint, not the vinyl types with any non flat finishes, the cheap tester / match pots are always flat as far as I know.

I use those from Wilkinsons @ £1 for a quite large pot although the colour range is somewhat limited, better to use the larger manufacturers for huge colour ranges.

I use the very cheapest screenwash that I can find which will contain less methanol than the concentrated types, hence the 50/50 mix, the ratio is not that critical, plus a small dash of washing up liquid.

The methanol seems to break down the polymers in the paint and make it more akin to the paints that claim to be especially made for airbrushing / spraying, I don't doubt that they are but at £3 to £4 for a little jar they are far too expensive for me.

The washing up liquid actually makes the water in the mix wetter, sounds silly but it is true, that's also why I spray all my woodwork with water mixed with a little w/u liquid to raise the grain prior to sanding, raises more of the grain than plain water.

The blue dye in the screenwash makes absolutely no difference to the paint colour.

BTW I also use a 0.8 nozzle and needle in the airbrush for spraying emulsion paint.

A lot of the Vappi is painted this way with the shiny bits sprayed with water based varnish, although a little of the shine is lost but I don't mind that.

Hope this has been of some use to you. And once again, my apologies for not adding this in my earlier post.

A couple of photos for comparison.

Mike.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2012, 11:11:42 am »

Smashing ........  It's little gems like that that are worth knowing.

:-))  :-))  :-))  :-))

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

ukmike

« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2012, 07:28:14 pm »

Some work done these last few days,especially on the passenger cabin assy.

Started glazing the windows, some open, some closed, also the engine and generator exhausts, am looking forward to doing the black sooty residue on the cabin roof.

Have retro fitted the retractable radar and also fitted the comms antenna along with the cabin vent.

The nav. and running lights are placed just for show, will make them permanent later on.

Mike.

Photos. 

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2012, 08:24:28 pm »

superb  :-))

ukmike

« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2012, 08:59:50 pm »

Working on the wiring for the lighting etc, it's proving to be quite difficult to retain my idea of making the passenger cabin removeable.

Lots of connectors to enable that to be possible, maybe just a job to far for me, but I'll keep going and see if it ends up acceptable.

Have fitted the rear deck floodlight and stern light wiring which I have been able to hide inside mini conduit, also fitted the roof mounted life rings.

Ditto for the boarding area.

Some pictures of this and also the lighting for the cabin, high brightness warm white LED's, don't like the ultra bright Blue light types.

Mike.

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2012, 09:10:53 pm »

could you not hide an card/PCboard edge connector, say under one of the bench seats, that way your cabin simply plugs in. All wires at the one (or two) connectors?
vnkiwi

If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Stavros

« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2012, 09:40:40 pm »

Mike how many wires will there be as you could use some stick on copper track 1 poss 1 neg and bunch the lights up into blocks then you wouldnt see the wires.I have used this method on my Our Lass to great effect

Dave

ukmike

« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2012, 10:39:40 pm »

Mike how many wires will there be as you could use some stick on copper track 1 poss 1 neg and bunch the lights up into blocks then you wouldn't see the wires.I have used this method on my Our Lass to great effect

Dave

Food for thought Dave, thanks. Where do you get it from ?

The problem is that power has to be routed to lots of different places, I did pre fit the cables that power the deck fittings, Bow searchlight, Pt. and Stbd. nav lights, Wheelhouse and Destination boards.

There is a lot of lighting contained in or on the Passenger Cabin which there is no easy route to use and I don't want have any exposed wiring.

Adding to the problem is the fact that I will be using 3 different voltages, will do it but not without a lot of head scratching and the way the boat is constructed doesn't lend its self to simple solutions,

but then what does ?

Did toy with the idea of multi card or D type connectors but determined that wouldn't be feasible. Should have thought all of this out prior to starting the build but have been adding more and more stuff as it progresses.

Hey - Ho. not to worry, plod on and see what happens.

Mike.

Stavros

« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2012, 11:04:35 pm »

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2012, 07:02:12 am »

yep... once you have soldered your wires on to it, the copper tape can be painted over.  It's used a lot in model railway lighting
Im using this and spring plunger type pickups on my huntsman to make the lighting connections on my Huntsman

ukmike

« Reply #142 on: September 04, 2012, 04:27:23 pm »

yep... once you have soldered your wires on to it, the copper tape can be painted over.  It's used a lot in model railway lighting
Im using this and spring plunger type pickups on my huntsman to make the lighting connections on my Huntsman

Hi Gary.

From where do you get the spring plunger type connectors ?

Are they the same as the PCB test prods ?

Mike.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: September 04, 2012, 05:04:13 pm »

They are the little black things in front of the wheels.
Designed for O gauge Kit builders
https://slatersplastikard.com/others/7mmParts/locoParts/gOlocoFittings.php#Section1

Item 7157 a little under 12.00 for 6

If you need the dimensions let me know and I'll measure one for you

ukmike

« Reply #144 on: September 07, 2012, 08:27:01 pm »

Have abandoned the work on the fwd bulwark with the bendy plastic problems and destination boards.

Will tackle that later.

Here are a couple of pictures of the progress on the cabin interior lighting, just one side roughly set out.

For the twelve warm white L.E.D's I have only had to supply 167ma which I am delighted with.

The AVO BTW is in calibration.

Mike.

ukmike

« Reply #145 on: September 15, 2012, 05:43:15 pm »

Hello.

The progress so far, still an awful lot to do and progress is very slow because every piece has to be painted before fitting.

Have managed to make the passender cabin and all of the roof removable with the aid of a lot of mini connectors.

I think that this boat is going to be too light, so may need some ballast, I only have access to the centre 1/3rd of the hull which may make it difficult.

What's the best material to use as ballast ?

Mike.

Brian Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2012, 08:35:30 pm »

Hi Mike

That's a super job you're making of the Vaporetto - well done.
Have you thought about lead shot as ballast, easy to pour into a confined space.

Brian

ukmike

« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2012, 07:38:09 pm »

Hi.

Some progress made over the last few days, mainly on the foredeck.

Have made and fitted the lifebelts etc. and fitted the bow searchlight together with the two bench seats.

Also, have made the bow and stern bulwarks from the plastic card, (polystyrene board), never again, I should have gone with my first thoughts of laminated ply.

Both have cracked, after the adhesive had cured I might add, and despite heavy duty sanding, washing in kindness to you hands soapy stuff and talking to it very tenderly, it still allowed the paint to peal off following removal

of the masking tape. This is my last collaboration with plastic card, for ever !!

As it happens, the cracks in the bulwarks are not going to be a problem as I will incorporate them in the "weathering".

Here are a few photo's of the recent work.

Mike.

ukmike

« Reply #148 on: October 01, 2012, 04:42:21 pm »

Made some Wasp tape for the wheelchair ramps.

Started trying to do the weathering, my first attempt at this, so, given that I have absolutely no artistic bent, it will have to do.

A lot more work to do on the passenger cabin, but am happy with the progress so far.

Pictures.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: October 01, 2012, 10:35:30 pm »

You have cracked on with the build while I was holiday Mike - you weathering looks good too

Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.