Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Venetian Vaporetto Build  (Read 50815 times)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Venetian Vaporetto Build
« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2012, 04:27:21 pm »

Mike, that is brilliant.
It is sso atmospheric with the passengers.
It will never look right on a lake or pond.
It needs the grand canal.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #176 on: December 01, 2012, 04:46:54 pm »

Well it couldn't be more different to your last gleaming build Mike - love the weathering and all the lighting. I've noticed a trend - your builds are getting bigger and I'm quite looking forward to your next ferry  O0
Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2012, 05:19:29 pm »

Nice. Very nice!

.... youtube.. or to cold at the moment?  ok2
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2012, 05:38:09 pm »

Stunner!  :o

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2012, 06:24:42 pm »

that does look great  :-))

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: December 01, 2012, 08:33:32 pm »

We're not worthy!  8)

Mind you...could I spoil the atmosphere a little?  I have to suggest that the people need a bit of detail on them. The boat is so life-like that the cartoon-esque figures let it down.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2012, 01:14:21 am »

A real and genuine appreciation of both your skills and research Mike, It's been a pleasure following your build - nice to see a little 'out of the norm' model not only taking shape, but the way you achieved the outcome.
                        A T B and Regards, Tony.

ukmike

« Reply #182 on: December 02, 2012, 02:29:35 pm »

Hello.

Well, went to the pond today, lots of snow and ice and a moderate wind. No pics or video yet as no one available to do the honours, will happen tho'.

The Gorleston, "Boating Lake", is a quite small oval affair with a little fountain in the middle and built up concrete sides.  See photo.

There were two people with rc boats, both model fishing boats, unfortunately, one of them was grossly overpowered and created a bow wave not unlike that of a Destroyer at full speed.

The Vappi really needs fairly flat water, as the full size in the sheltered Venetian Lagoon.

Due to the concrete sides of the pond and the combined effect of the wind, fountain and HMS Fishing boat, the surface was quite "choppy".

Not to be put off, I put the boat into pond and surprisingly, it floated, perfectly upright and at the correct W/L level, (surprising what a strategically placed load of lead shot can achieve).

To cut a long story short, everthing went well, sort of, apart from the fact that the wavelets on the pond were a little too much for my little boat, especially for two of the passengers.

Both of which were not holding on securely enough to prevent them from being thrown overboard, poor people, although they were recovered later, sadly expired.

Things that need sorting ... Firstly the boat is grossly overpowered, 3 clicks of throttle is more than enough and I am unable to add expo to the throttle chan to cure it.

Secondly ... Will replace the motor with a smaller 3 something one, maybe even a 2 something one. Is there a 2 something one ?

Thirdly ... Change the speed controller for one that is less sophisticated, with a far lower frame rate frequency, thus preventing the motor from singing it's silly head off.

Thoroughly enjoyed the morning tho', a model fishing boat travelling at a scale speed of 30 knots is a sight to behold.

I have absolutely nothing against the modellers that use the pond, after all, this hobby is for everyone and everything.

I, in no way would, or indeed want, to change anything at all.

This Epistle was posted purely to entertain and for no other reason

Mike.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: December 02, 2012, 02:49:20 pm »

Hi Mike
There was a Vaporetto on last nights An Idiot Abroad which was Venice based this week.
I think (might be wrong) there was a shot of the gangplank down and the marks that left on the deck. My brain wasn't quite engaged at the time - just the usual intermittent fault  %%
Dave

ukmike

« Reply #184 on: December 02, 2012, 04:46:35 pm »

Hi Mike
There was a Vaporetto on last nights An Idiot Abroad which was Venice based this week.
I think (might be wrong) there was a shot of the gangplank down and the marks that left on the deck. My brain wasn't quite engaged at the time - just the usual intermittent fault  %%
Dave

Don't have SKY Dave.

What a bu*ger !

Mike.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #185 on: December 03, 2012, 09:54:06 am »

Presuming that the current motor you have is a 3 pole heres a 385 5 pole motor thats 12000 rpm on 12v:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Motor-385-size-for-RC-Remote-Control-Cars-Boats-Standard-Size-3-Pole-/220945732760?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item3371645498
I cannot see the name of the motor you are using on the photographs so i cant find any info about it. If im not mistaken the graupner 400 motor is equivalent in size to a mabuchi 380 motor. If the same rules apply to the motor you have then this motor will be a simple screw in job.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.