Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS HOOD - As grandad would have done it  (Read 14091 times)

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS HOOD - As grandad would have done it
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 08:37:07 am »

Good grief! it's nearly two years since I looked at this project. Now, after various bouts of heart surgery and problems with the waterworks I can get back into the shed and finish it off. I've got to, there are other models I want to make. I'll post photos of current state soon, and go from there.  I'm still trying to maintain the 'cheap and austerity' style of using basic tools and material I have lying around, so that precluded buying a period motor or any batteries. So far the ship doesn't bear close inspection, but doesn't look too bad from a distance - i.e. on the water. Definitely NOT a scale model in any way.

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 07:35:58 pm »

As promised, here is the model in her current state as of last sunday. Since then I've been working on the mainmast, AA guns and searchlights, which are being painted at the moment. External work nearly finished.

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 08:05:47 pm »

Hi there joppyuk1. Sorry to hear that you have not been well, I hope the future will better for you, and that you are now fighting fit. I can't belive that it was two years since your last post. I remember reading it like was only a few weeks ago. I am looking forward to seeing the end product of this build, as it has taken me way back in time. All the best too you.
Phil
East Devon

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 12:00:05 pm »

Finally, a picture of the (almost) completed exterior. Just the ensign and radio ariel between masts to fit now, though I may leave the latter of to make removal of the trap easier. I've left of the lifeboats on davits either side, as they hung out and may get damaged by over enthusiastic catchers (free running, no r/c), and taken the liberty of turning one of the 'large boats' into the very vague resemblance of a picket boat. Next up, fitting the motor and battery, and ballasting.

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 05:51:24 pm »

Over the weekend I managed to get the ballast sorted, with a couple of deviations from the original. The instructions said to use a 1lb bar attached to the bottom with screws, but I went for internal lead instead (I'd already made the stand and forgotten to allow for external ballast) and the model needed more like 2lb to get it floating near the waterline. Perhaps because I used balsa rather than the original specified deal. A quiet Saturday afternoon melting down old and damaged lead soldiers, all self-cast so no collectables destroyed in this exercise, into a home made mould.  Health and safety was followed, I used glasses, heavy gloves, apron, tin tray on floor for spills. A change from chopping wood about. Sorry about the pictures, but my garage isn't condusive to decent photos, and I don't do this sort of thing in the shed.

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 08:39:24 pm »

And, finally a last floatation test in the water before heading to the nearest model boat pond for some straight running. According to Hobbies magazine of the times, this system could be used to turn many of their waterline models into powered units, so the question is, as I have a number of their plans, some of which I show, what should I do next. Here's a picture of some of the collection, though I fancy going for HMS Exeter from the 1941 Handbook.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 09:46:54 pm »

The smell of that hot glue takes me back to woodworking classes at school, at 15 I made a pair of 5 tread steps.
Children nowadays do not get the oportunities to do anything as there are no workshops in schools.

Len.

Piffle, we had a workshop at primary, secondary, sixth form college and of course the engoneering department at university! Infact I blame my love of building things squarely at the feet of my primary head master. We built everything from a Tudor house to a model metal press that was computer controlled!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2014, 08:04:00 am »

Hi joppyuk1, which motor did you end up fitting?
regards
Roy

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 02:29:12 pm »

It's quite a small motor from my box of bits, goodness knows where it's from originally, but the label says it's a 457-RE14C. It still has to be tried out on the boating pool proper but seems ok on the little paddling pool.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2014, 03:04:33 pm »

Hi joppyuk1 you have a PM.
Roy

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2014, 03:21:44 pm »

Shame about the soldiers, they might like being apart of the Royal Navy though!

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2014, 05:07:33 pm »

They were press-ganged and had no say in the matter!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2014, 07:36:10 pm »

Hi Joppy you have a PM.
Roy

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2014, 08:19:09 pm »

reply sent, thank you.

ij

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2014, 12:25:36 pm »

Hi Joppy you have a PM.
Roy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.