Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: changing PC how do I move my email account  (Read 1902 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
changing PC how do I move my email account
« on: July 05, 2012, 07:47:41 pm »

Hi all, hope someone can help.
This is for a friend but I shall want to do this myself soon.

I use Thunderbird for emails.  When I open up each time I put in my password and my emails arrive.

(I used to use Netscape which did this then out came v. 9 (I think) and I had to go to the website to get my emails).
I can still go to the website from another PC and look at my emails.

If I replace my PC and wish to keep my old email address then I assume(?) that when I go to set up the account the new PC will tell me that this email address is not available.  Is this right?

What should I do?

kind regards Roy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: changing PC how do I move my email account
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 07:54:46 pm »

I should imagine the Website will still collate your emails so there's no need to change your address.

It's the same for me. I can collect my mail by using other computers.   :-))

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 08:25:06 pm »

pm sent

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
Senior member of the OGG (Order of the Grumpy Gits)
Membership Number : 002

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 08:53:18 pm »

Thunderbird on one computer neither knows nor cares about accounts on any other computers.  Just install it, create the account or accounts with the same information as on the 1st computer, and follow the link that Richald provided to transfer the data.  Once its done, its a bit of an anti-climax because when you look back it seems too easy.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 09:17:08 pm »

Roy...I recently upgraded from a Win7 PC to an alternate WIN7 PC.....for about $50.00 [OZ money] I purchased a Belkin Transfer cable....read the indstructions carefully & it transfers just about everything between old PC & new PC.....excluding the actual software

I would recommend using it  :-)) ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 09:51:10 pm »

Roy...I recently upgraded from a Win7 PC to an alternate WIN7 PC.....for about $50.00 [OZ money] I purchased a Belkin Transfer cable....read the indstructions carefully & it transfers just about everything between old PC & new PC.....excluding the actual software

I would recommend using it  :-)) ....Derek

Before you do this, take a back up of the new machine 'as it comes' in case any virus is transferred. Then, make sure you do a complete anti virus update and complete scan on the old machine before you copy anything to the new machine otherwise you may transfer any hidden virus, trojans etc.

I personally wouldnt copy everything from one machine to another as I prefer my new machines to be 'clean.' Besides, your old machine get bloated with lots of stuff you dont really need.

Regarding accessing email accounts, changing pc's wont affect this so long as you have the right software or URL if web based mail, you have the email address and password.  The idea of web base email is you can access it from anywhere on the web, on any number of different pc's. Just remember not to tick the box to remember the password 'on this pc' if you are going to be using pc's that can be accessed by anyone ie in a library etc, else other people could access your mail from that pc!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 11:13:11 pm »

Hi have read your contributions, thanks, will let you know how I get on.
regards Roy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 06:56:08 am »

Roy.....I accept the comment from justboatonic.... "your old machine get bloated with lots of stuff you dont really need"  {:-{ ...but that is only if you let it bloat  >>:-(

The beauty of the Belkin cable for me was that it imported my Outlook address book + all of the stored e-mail communications + my previous & forward work appointments in Outlook

Again I understand in Outlook you can Export/Import your address book into .xls files  >:-o & then into the new PC...I think I saved myself literally days of copying & transfering files the old way

The 30GB of daughters & grandchildrens  :kiss: ....digital images also migrated seamlessly  {-)..... >>:-( why do they continue to use my PC when they have their own?  >:-o

Our WEB host Martin has a section here  in Mayhem discussing the importance of backups...... :-)) ...with win7.. I have set a weekly auto backup of the content my local 2TB "C" drive to my external 2TB drive

All so simple .....all so easy .................Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.