Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Enterprise Petition  (Read 3086 times)

Navy2000

• Full Mayhemer
USS Enterprise Petition
« on: June 15, 2012, 11:24:35 pm »

Here is a link to a petition to keep the name USS Enterprise in the US Navy. This would be CVN 79 if I remember the hull number correctly.

http://ussenterp.epetitions.net/signatures.php?petition_id=1870

Duane

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Enterprise Petition
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 06:28:21 pm »

From Wikipedia

On 7 December 2007, the 66th anniversary of the Attack on Pearl Harbor, Congressman Harry Mitchell (D-AZ) proposed naming this ship USS Arizona.[1] In 2009, Congressman John Shadegg (R-AZ) proposed naming the ship or the subsequent CVN-80, Barry M. Goldwater after Barry Goldwater, the late senator from Arizona.[2] On 29 May 2011, the Department of Defense announced that the ship would be named for John F. Kennedy (1917–1963), the 35th President of the United States, who served in the Navy during World War II.[3][4] She will be the third Navy ship named after members of the Kennedy family, and the second aircraft carrier named John F. Kennedy, replacing John F. Kennedy (CV-67), which served 1967–2007.

Then it was also a problem before with USS America ...

For me the problem is with the CVN78 : USS Gerald R Ford  after the only President of the United States who was never elected President nor Vice-President, He came at this place because of Watergate. Then Ford had a reputation for being clumsy. like banging his head on the door of Air Force One during his visit in Austria. This image was taken over by television shows Saturday Night Live who caricatured him as a person unable to walk without breaking something. The journalists took up the remark by Lyndon Johnson that his opponent would have played too much football without helmet. The latter also described Ford as someone who was unable to do two things at the same time like walking and chew chewing gum.

Xtian

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 11:02:50 pm »

Xtian....everything you say is correct....but....the poor guy was thrust into the job. Out of his depth, perhaps. But possibly because of his inactivity he kept "the ship of State" stable, and didn't go floundering into wars. We could probably do with a few more like him in charge of the USA.  BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 11:21:13 pm »

Isnt this a petition for US citizens!?

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 02:24:19 pm »

Surely Enterprise is CVN-65.                 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 02:48:52 pm »

Read online that it'll be impossible for her to be turned into a museum ship , the reactors have to be removed and because of the way the ship was built they'll need to scrap 60% of the lower hull so they have to scrap the hull completely. Another problem is that there are no groups with the funding to make her a safe museum that is financially able to maintain her. There are already plenty of problems with established battleship's in museum where they are rapidly deteriorating and appealing for $millions and $millions just to patch the hulls and repair the ships.

She is huge and finding anywhere she could be berthed would be a big problem.

Keeping her in service isn't on either ,  the newer CVN's in service all require considerably less maintenance and lower man-power requirements. In a time that all services are cutting back they want to keep the newest CVN's in service and the money needed to keep the Big E in commission just doesn't make sense to the bean counters in the US Navy
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 11:04:39 pm »

A warship (even a large carrier) is basically a tool. Just the same as a Tank or Aircraft...or a rifle,really.
Why we have to get all misty eyed over these things beats me. After all, it's not as if she'd saved the USofA from being invaded by some little upstart outfit.
Her only claim to "fame" was her propulsion and physical size. Nowt special about that. But what does always get me about the big US carriers is the manpower employed. Around 6,000 people aboard. And they have 11 of them. That's 66,000 people on the carriers alone. Then look at the average age of a crew member. probably around 25 or so. You take 66,000 young people out of (say) Birmingham and Manchester together and the two cities would be empty of young(ish) people.
And that's just the carrier fleet. Mind boggling. BY.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 11:18:10 pm »

I suspect the average age is rather younger than that Bryan.

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 07:38:14 pm »

Colin...I suspect you are correct, but even then my numbers didn't include the thousands of other bodies required to keep these mammoths afloat and "working".
Personally, I still wonder how we are going to "man" and operate our new things. BY.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 09:17:41 pm »

Actually, when you look at the projected figures, the manpower requirements of the new RN carriiers are quite modest. I suspect that if they do get finally built they will turn out to be quite good and versatile investments. Certainly, that's what the navy are counting on. Big wide decks have a multitude of uses. The Invincible class were always too small.

Colin

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 09:30:05 pm »

planned to be the same crew size as the invincible class Colin , standing crew of 450 going up to 750-800 with a full air group was the last figures I can remember going around
Davie Tait,
Scotland
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.