Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What Dangerous thing did you do as a Child  (Read 17770 times)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What Dangerous thing did you do as a Child
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 06:34:22 pm »

...I remember on a YTS, we had a waste burn every so often, and as it was a next to a lake, I on several occasions would put a ******* in the fire, place it on a concrere block or two to give it elevation,  ************

sometime during the burn, there was an almighty BANG as the propellant caused the ****** to explode and go off like a mortar shell, landing in the lake soon after.  

No Formulas please. This is a Family Forum

ken 

Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 06:45:03 pm »

To us kids in the fifties the world was a pretty
safe place. We could do all these things with
Impunity. Icannot remember any serious accidents
Until we were let loose with motorbikes and cars

A 16 year old on a Dommie 99.
I lost a few friends to the God of Speed
RIP all you guys.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 06:45:15 pm »

Same thing but a pipe bomb from ************, ruined my mates dad's marrow patch, but it was worth the good hiding we received from our respective parents. Also connected a loud speaker to a Hornby transformer, turn the knob, and the tone of the buzz changed, then modified the experiment by removing the Hornby transformer and going straight to the mains, spectacular bang and mains fuse blown, another thrashing and banned from ' playing with electricity'..... 8) 8) 8)

Modified

ken

What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 07:46:56 pm »

Messed around with an old gramophone that used mains voltage and touched the wrong wire. 250 volts hurled me right across the room. Mum appeared - what's the matter? Nothing Mum - trembling from head to toe!

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 07:49:25 pm »

{-) {-)

That reminds me of a time, I was in the shed, pumping up a race bike tyre until it exploded ... I shook for hours afterwards!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2012, 08:31:07 pm »

' Jetex"

Now that takes me back.  Made a balsa boat powered by jetex tablets and ran it in mates bath.  Got bored so made another and tied four bangers together and shoved them on the stern and used them as jet power from one end of the bath to the other, hit the end of bath and before we could turn it round the bangers went off and blew the flat crude balsa to bits.  And made a huge black mark on the white enamel bath.
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

chingdevil

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2012, 08:46:31 pm »

My cousing and I got fed up with our batteries going flat so decided to plug them into a mains socket to charge them up, man did they go bang.
During the winter of 65/66 we made a toboggan and took it up the forest to ride it, the edge of the forest ended in a very steep slope which led down to the Southend Arterial Road. We hurtled down the slope shot across the road in front of a lorry, thought that was fun and did it again this time hurtling past the front of a car. Lucky both were going slow due to the deep snow. If I did that now I would not get very far, because that stretch of road is now the A406 and is like a race track.

We also made a giant catapultout of a car inner tube and some fence planks and tried to launch a rake from my garden into my cousins, five houses away. We took out the neighbours greenhouse, which cost us both a belting from our dads.

We had great fun, and I only ended up with one scar on my head from all our escapades

Brian

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 08:50:46 pm »

When young we used to live in Malta in a block of flats, our idea of fun was to get on to the roof and walk around ther perimeter wall  %%

now I cant even climb a foot stool without getting dizzy :((

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2012, 09:04:59 pm »

Many dangerous escapades occurred in school, the chemistry lab being a favorite place for the crack, like opening the fume cupboard and turning on the Kipps apparatus, a device for generating hydrogen sulphide (bad egg gas). This resulted in an evacuation of the whole science/workshop block for at least 2 hours. Another dangerous stunt was lighting the gas taps, sending a large flame across the bench, mixing the chemicals on the shelves around the lab walls randomly together often resulted in noxious fumes, violent reactions or wildly frothing bottles making a mess all over the place. There was  no eye protection or gloves available in those days, I am surprised I wasn't horribly disfigured during these escapades, the greatest risk was getting caught and marched off to the Heads study for 6 of the best! :D :D :D
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2012, 09:34:25 pm »

]I'm surprised that this is still on here,...we keep getting told that this is a family orientated forum, yet here you are telling us all how to make, what is in effect a  pipe bomb, %% %% %% %%....kids do come on here,

Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

Stavros

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2012, 09:56:44 pm »

Inventing Mountain Biking eh I hear you all cry.....Well Me and my m8 are convinced we invented mountain biking,we regularry used to push the old bikes up hte local mountains YES THE ARE STEEP and then ride down them hone and you knew dammed well if you touched the brakes you were a gonner,had the pleasure of freewheeling down most of the slpoes around here inc snowdon on a push bike.How we were never killed i will never know

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2012, 10:01:48 pm »

No! wullie........yer wrong again............I was telling how DANGEROUS a game I played when young......making a home made cannon............a million miles away from a pipe bomb.......S get off yer high horse....read the title of the thread again and then read my disclaimer at the bottom of the post I made.............when will you start getting your mouth and brain in sinc before you start ranting!!!

I have kids of my own, and that is why I posted the disclaimer in red.

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2012, 10:08:07 pm »

We used to gaffer tape 12 bore shotgun cartridges to a fence post and try to shoot the percussion cap with an air rifle..... We hit it a few times and it made an impressive bang, didn't do the fence post a lot of good though......

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2012, 10:46:24 pm »

No! wullie........yer wrong again............I was telling how DANGEROUS a game I played when young......making a home made cannon............a million miles away from a pipe bomb.......S get off yer high horse....read the title of the thread again and then read my disclaimer at the bottom of the post I made.............when will you start getting your mouth and brain in sinc before you start ranting!!!

I have kids of my own, and that is why I posted the disclaimer in red.
Oh,a million miles from a pipe bomb,from where i,m sitting its one bashed other end from a pipe bomb,...but its ok you,ve put in a disclaimer in red,...Get a Grip,

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2012, 10:52:05 pm »

Thank you for your excellent advice Wullie.   :-))

We have acted immediately and removed all Chemical Formulae in the above letters.   :-))

The thread is going well with the Dangerous episodes  but,  Please do not give the ingredients of your explosive devises as we may have nefarious persons reading who need this type in information, or may get ideas.

Ken Churchill
Global Moderator

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2012, 10:56:44 pm »

This thread is beginning to look like a cyclonite cyclotrimethylene trinitramine explosion in a dulux factory. %)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2012, 10:57:42 pm »

Just what I need right now

Hi Andy    <*<

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2012, 11:00:14 pm »

1) Running across Regent's Park Lake in London.

No it wasn't some religeous epiphany! - it was the very long winter of 1963 and the lake was frozen solid - well it was when my brother, mates and I started from the shore. By the time we got to the middle we stopped and realised that we were moving up and down with the ice floes. Half of us (including yours truely) ran back, and the others (including my brother) carried on. It wasn't even the narrowest section of the lake, but the wider section where the old pre-war ferry used to run.

2) Noticing the similarity of colour and texture between the cigarette ash in my dad's ashtray and gunpowder from from dud bangers.

Why I did it, I don't know (perhaps to encourage dad to give up smoking), but I stirred in a good 6d's of gunpowder into the ashtray and I then immediately forgot about it. Some time later, there was some shouting from the sitting room, dad comes rushing out through the smoke to thrust his hand under the kitchen tap!
My future was discussed.

3) Firing rockets horizontally down the street on Guy Fawkes night to see if people could move as fast - the rockets used to ricochette off the walls as well - great memories!

(still alive) Ian

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2012, 11:48:07 pm »

Could it be, that the most dangerous thing, all participating respondents did as a child,

was to continue using oxygen   %) %) %)

O0 O0 O0 {-) {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2012, 12:03:44 am »

Could it be, that the most dangerous thing, all participating respondents did as a child,

was to continue using oxygen   %) %) %)

O0 O0 O0 {-) {-) {-)
Or to be forced to drink that Gnats **** XXXX {-) {-)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2012, 12:12:47 am »

This thread is beginning to look like a cyclonite cyclotrimethylene trinitramine explosion in a dulux factory. %)

you mean like this???
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2012, 12:39:29 am »

The most dangerous thing I did, the two most, the three most dangerous things I did as a kid

at 3. Ran off for a year when I was 13 - nothing beyond saying that will escape the big blue pen so don't ask.
at 2. I used to go down to the Mains in Speke to see Virginia Bull :kiss:. To do this I truly risked life and limb as the skinhead gang there numbered about fifty thugs.
at 1. I used to sag school a lot, in the winter I came up with a cunning plan that worked repeatedly. Looking back it horrifies me. We lived in a third floor tenement (top floor) and I didn't have a key. So I would make sure the sash back window was unlatched. Later in the day I'd climb into the communal loft from the stairwell rail - traverse three blocks of flats - out through a missing slate - walk along the 7inch ledge to over my window and hang down - now the tricky bit. Whilst hanging I had to push the window down with my feet, catch my balance on tippy toe and let go with one hand and grab for the window frame, then the other hand and in I'd go. This went on and on until the day someone locked the window after I'd 'gone to school'

I've never had to fight in a war - and I think all the young lads (some underaged) who signed up went off to war and/or sea top anything we'll put here.

Dave

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2012, 12:51:54 am »

Sorry .....about 50 years ago..... :embarrassed: ....similar to Neil  >>:-( .....whilst enjoying chemistry & science in my first year @ high school O0.....
.... I mixed <Removed - Admin  to make smoke bombs that filled our football field  O0

Spent one week in hospital....after the third smoke bomb exploded in my face........back then they didn't have any aersol plastic skin spray in Wollongong....an ambulance delivered some from Sydney 50 miles north....

Sorry [Mum & Dad] ..... :kiss: ...my parents arrived home after a Sunday drive .......& asked ..."where is Derek?"  >>:-( ....the answer was....."we think he is OK.....but in Hospital".... <:(

I was sorry....as my dad was very very very cross with me..... <*< ................sorry.............
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2012, 01:26:51 am »

Earlier on I mentioned some of the things I did that in retrospect I wonder why I survived.  Later contributions have awakened other guilty secrets.
There is also the time that my school mate and I had a supply of fireworks that he had left over from the time he didn't let all of his off after having a Roman Candle shoot sideways and blow a hole in his hand while he was shooting at a tram one Guy Fawkes night.  We used the contents of the rest of his firework collection to power a pre-war AA gun model to see just how far we could fire lead shot.  Jetex fuse was involved.  Next doors dog (the one that liked to chase overflying Bristol Freighters) was never harmed, mostly because we never aimed that way.
I had at about the same time been presented with a pile of readers digests, one of which had an article about juvenile rocketeering, using   Moderated as fuel.  The boxroom decorations were never the same.
I have a vague feeling that one thing that gave my generation a feeling for self preservation was MettoyTM tinplate toys.  The razor edges taught us caution.  The lead in the paint might have enhanced our creative abilities.  Or not.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2012, 05:58:50 am »

Dear Martin....our WEB provider & host   %)  how do you allow Malcom to talk about ....   "Moderated    as fuel" when you take the Blue pen to my posting?    Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.