Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What Dangerous thing did you do as a Child  (Read 17772 times)

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What Dangerous thing did you do as a Child
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2012, 07:58:01 am »

I've been using a mixture of    Moderated    and a little Klotz oil since I was about 6 to make small explosions. I've even drank the stuff a couple of times.

{-)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2012, 08:23:54 am »

Martin, get the pen, that sounds like dope to me. We'll all be doing it tomorrow!! Heh heh.

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2012, 09:06:27 am »

Two more....

4) Lead fumes....
We were fortunate as kids to have lots of playgrounds donated by Der Deutches Volk, we called them "bomrunes" whatever that meant.
One activity involved collecting lengths of the old lead sheaved electric cables from amoungst the rubble and melting the lead in an old tin can. We would spend ages stirring the mixture and clearing off the yellow oxide from the surface; don't actually remember pouring it into moulds though.

Actually found a picture of one of the sites where we carried out this activity. The old building was featured in the BBC's 1954 TV production of "1984" as Winston Smith's (Peter Cushing) home!

5) De-railing trains.....
We used to have a caravan on Romney Marsh not far from the RHD 15inch gauge railway.As an experiment we used to put pebbles on the track to see if the locomotive (1/3rd scale) could split them in half as it sped across the marsh track. It was like a scene from the French Resistance with a look-out telling us if a train was coming and then diving for cover! It never occurred to us that the train could have been damaged/derailed or that the pebbles could hit us in the eye.
See: http://www.rhdr.org.uk/

I didn’t get off Scott free with all these dangerous “experiments” – I did end up once in hospital having 17 stiches across my face after falling head first into the Regent’s Canal and landing in a bucket.

Ian

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2012, 09:22:18 am »

5) De-railing trains.....
We used to have a caravan on Romney Marsh not far from the RHD 15inch gauge railway.As an experiment we used to put pebbles on the track to see if the locomotive (1/3rd scale) could split them in half as it sped across the marsh track. It was like a scene from the French Resistance with a look-out telling us if a train was coming and then diving for cover! It never occurred to us that the train could have been damaged/derailed or that the pebbles could hit us in the eye.
See: http://www.rhdr.org.uk/

I didn’t get off Scott free with all these dangerous “experiments” – I did end up once in hospital having 17 stiches across my face after falling head first into the Regent’s Canal and landing in a bucket.

Ian

Used to do the same thing with pennies on the New Brighton line, Penny on the track, hide in the bushes and await the arrival of a train, watch it rumble over the penny, and then retrieve the now much larger (but thinner) Penny from the ballast. We are talking old pennies here 8) 8) 8)
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2012, 10:09:45 am »

Dear Martin....our WEB provider & host   %)  how do you allow Malcom to talk about .....Moderated as fuel" when you take the Blue pen to my posting?    Derek

don't worry about your post being moderated derek......I didn't take offence............after all this whole post was about the danger that we as youngsters did and passing on that info to our younger generations.........so that they DIDN'T DO AS WE DID FOR SAFETY SAKE...........

however the objections came from a member who isn't enjoying himself on mayhem unless he is causing an argument and CAUSING MAYHEM...........
but I look at it this way, if he thinks that a suitable picture for his avatar is for our younger members to look at what looks like  a halfnaked unshaven person that looks as though he's suffering from a hangover, then it is he that has the problem with his idea of self personification and what he wants to pass on to our younger members..............and I really don't therefore have a problem with what I post.............. %% %% %% %%

Wullie.....change your avatar...............I, FOR ONE,  find it offensive and repulsive.................

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2012, 10:28:18 am »

It's not even his avatar

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2012, 10:35:49 am »

It's not even his avatar

Ned

that makes it even more worrying?? {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %%

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2012, 11:05:17 am »

We have plenty of Blue ink for those that cannot take the message. 

Please do not push your luck with methods of Killing or Maiming people or you will be banned.

The theme was  Dangerous to yourself as a Child  by your actions due to lack of knowledge,

NOT due to your skill as a saboteur.

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2012, 11:09:40 am »

O0 %% {-) {-) {-) O0 ;D
The most dangerous thing I did, the two most, the three most dangerous things I did as a kid

at 3. Ran off for a year when I was 13 - nothing beyond saying that will escape the big blue pen so don't ask.
at 2. I used to go down to the Mains in Speke to see Virginia Bull :kiss:. To do this I truly risked life and limb as the skinhead gang there numbered about fifty thugs.
at 1. I used to sag school a lot, in the winter I came up with a cunning plan that worked repeatedly. Looking back it horrifies me. We lived in a third floor tenement (top floor) and I didn't have a key. So I would make sure the sash back window was unlatched. Later in the day I'd climb into the communal loft from the stairwell rail - traverse three blocks of flats - out through a missing slate - walk along the 7inch ledge to over my window and hang down - now the tricky bit. Whilst hanging I had to push the window down with my feet, catch my balance on tippy toe and let go with one hand and grab for the window frame, then the other hand and in I'd go. This went on and on until the day someone locked the window after I'd 'gone to school'

I've never had to fight in a war - and I think all the young lads (some underaged) who signed up went off to war and/or sea top anything we'll put here.

Dave

yes Dave ,but it's what you do as an Adult.  O0 O0 {-) {-) ;D ;D :embarrassed: O0 O0

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2012, 11:15:09 am »

Adult, what adult. :o :o :o

I recall a saying Big Boys with toys %) %) %) {-) {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2012, 12:06:36 pm »

When I said dope I was of course referring to the fuel used in speedway and grass track bikes and not anything illegal, so I've heard.
Jerry.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2012, 12:50:47 pm »

O0 %% {-) {-) {-) O0 ;D
yes Dave ,but it's what you do as an Adult.  O0 O0 {-) {-) ;D ;D :embarrassed: O0 O0

Oh I see you are using the old 'adult pastimes ploy' - I'm not falling for that one Kato
No blue pen for me today!!!

As for this thread - did anyone on first seeing the title ever think it wouldn't involve chemical compounds, electrocution, and vivesection?
And now I mention it where are the vivesectionists ...........or the lads risking life and limb going egging.

I once left a cardboard box crammed with grasshoppers in a shop (the butchers I think?) ....... hee hee

Dave

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2012, 01:11:36 pm »

I've been using a mixture of    Moderated    and a little Klotz oil since I was about 6 to make small explosions. I've even drank the stuff a couple of times.

{-)

I was hoping that was going to get moderated, that was the formula for methanol and nitromethane, which of course anyone can buy over the counter... Glow fuel {-)

boatman 101

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2012, 01:27:13 pm »

When i was about 10 yrs old back in the very early sixties me an my m8 hangin on the back of a peaload trailer an tractor  on bikes an if the tractor stopped quick WELL but we never got hurt
chris

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2012, 01:55:06 pm »

Or to be forced to drink that Gnats **** XXXX {-) {-)

What, Irn Bru?
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2012, 02:02:01 pm »

Several times I knocked on doors and then ran away....so there !
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2012, 02:11:10 pm »

You don't happen to work for the Post Office Parcels Service do you?

Dave

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2012, 03:04:30 pm »

I used to make a very simple explosive with 2 then common household ingredients, the one that's safeish when still wet but goes off with a crack when it's dry. Pongs a bit too.
 My mates and I would put it strategically placed on the scalextric track then have race. Go too fast in the chicane and bang, the car flys off. I didn't like it when my e-type Jag flew all the way down the attic stairs.
   I also got into 6 of the best  for proping up a sadistic teachers chair on matchsticks and putting some under the feet before lunch.
  When he came back, he sat down, the chair went up, he ran out, I couldn't sit down for ages.
  Just think of the trouble I would be in now but I can't say I regret it, he was a mean B*****
Chas

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2012, 03:22:42 pm »

It's not even his avatar

Ned
Your right Ned, its not,It just appeared there after the Meltdown,I know  it belongs to another member, who, might not be too happy at being called repulsive,
Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2012, 03:36:13 pm »

You could have some devilish fun there Wullie
Run a competition to find yourself a new avatar
........ having said that I'm getting used to you not being you - if you know what I mean %% {-)
Dave

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2012, 03:51:33 pm »

You,re right there Dave, its grown on me, but I,ll miss him when the rightful owner eventually takes it back, %% {-) {-)
Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2012, 03:35:19 pm »

All of my family and friends know some of the dumb and stupid things I did as a youth. That's why they wouldn't let my kids have certain common items.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2012, 04:16:54 pm »

Hi Gerald

Kids need mischief -
and as your quote is from Heinlein, then how about
'A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill' O0

Dave

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2012, 05:02:22 pm »

I used to make a very simple explosive with 2 then common household ingredients, the one that's safeish when still wet but goes off with a crack when it's dry. Pongs a bit too.
Painted around door frame after school on Friday, on basket balls in the gym and in empty inkwell in a mates desk. Results if successful = door off hinges, balls that never stop bouncing and the front off the desk, mass punishment. Grownups could be so unfair.
Jerry

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2012, 07:01:34 pm »

You,re right there Dave, its grown on me, but I,ll miss him when the rightful owner eventually takes it back, %% {-) {-)

Nowt wrong with that avatar Wullie....RabC lives   OK ?
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.