Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What Dangerous thing did you do as a Child  (Read 17766 times)

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
Re: What Dangerous thing did you do as a Child
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2012, 08:21:17 pm »

What Dangerous thing did you do as a Child?

My little sister and I played inside a of a car for three hours parked outside the hospital while
my mother, who drove us there, had her thumb sewn back on in the emergency room.

:o

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2012, 08:26:13 pm »

I used to love tree climbing.

A favourite trick was to hang from a long low branch and work your way out to the end so as to bring the tip (and me) to the ground.  It certainly taught you about 'Stress of materials' and structural weakness in thin wood.   :} 

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2012, 11:06:11 pm »

Nowt wrong with that avatar Wullie....RabC lives   OK ?
Yer right, he has that lived in look,and he,s happily married, and his wife does,nt find him ..Offensive or Repulsive,
Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2012, 11:18:29 pm »

Rab C said

'I'll sail this ship alone' and that's why you don't see him on Mayhem O0

Dave

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2012, 06:54:22 pm »

Hi Gerald

Kids need mischief -
and as your quote is from Heinlein, then how about
'A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill' O0

Dave
Hi Dave,
My Kids did get into mischief, Its just with them having heard about some of my adventures they thought up some of there own, which fortunatly didn't risk life limb and property as much as mine did. Some I added and abeted in (keeping of snakes and reptiles while the wife worked at summer camp) others they did on there own.
Gerald.

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2012, 09:40:10 pm »

I crashed my tricycle (!) into a hedge at high speed when four or thereabouts ... and I came home bawling, not because I'd hurt myself, but because the trike was in two parts, one in each hand, dragged behind me ... in the accident a solid three inch weld between the front bit and the back axle just ripped apart. How I avoided broken bones (and worse) was a constant wonder to my folks.  {-)

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2012, 05:41:31 am »

I remember running down a slope near a golf couse that was not properly fenced.
A wire caught me under the chin.
I was very lucky to be only knocked off my feet and concussed and not be beheaded.

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2012, 11:09:48 pm »

Got a local girl in the family way when i was 15 dangerous thing was she was the local policemans daugther one horse town.Mind you still paying for it  with her grand kids 40 odd years later

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2012, 07:32:46 am »

I was really into bugs when i was a kid, and the high point of that was catching bees with my bare hands.  I don't know what i was thinking. 
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2012, 08:59:11 am »

What you did was not as stupid as one might think,there are bees that don,t have any sting,my pals and I did the same thing when we were young, we called them fogies and they had yellow on there head,and we caught them with our bare hands,then tied very light thread around their middle and let them go,but we still had control,...".control line flying",but if this was tried today, we,d probably get done for cruelty to small creatures,

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2012, 09:34:19 am »

What you did was not as stupid as one might think,there are bees that don,t have any sting,my pals and I did the same thing when we were young, we called them fogies and they had yellow on there head,and we caught them with our bare hands,then tied very light thread around their middle and let them go,but we still had control,...".control line flying",but if this was tried today, we,d probably get done for cruelty to small creatures,
But did they lead you to the honey? :-)) :-)) :-))
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2012, 10:11:38 am »

I suspect Wullie has kept a string of Honey's in his time, but I don't believe he's never been stung {-)

That reminds me of a long hot afternoon in The Brickwall Inn's beer garden. Our table was besieged by wasps but fortunately we had quite a few empty pint pots. Between us we caught about thirty wasps in the small spaces between the upturned glasses. Our's was a table full of hot trapped and very angry wasps when we left, and I've always wondered just what the poor pot lad did when he finally came out to clear the garden's tables. That's another closed pub by the way <:( ........ Burtonwood Ales, Top hat Bitter it was - wonder if that's still made?

Dave

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2012, 11:39:11 am »

Top Hat bitter,is there such a beer,....The only bitter i can remember was Courage or that Tetley p***...it became drinkable once we added a barley wine to it, {-) {-) {-) {-)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2012, 11:58:29 am »

When I was a lad, a barley wine always went into my last pint of the night - just to be absolutely sure I was done for the night.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2012, 01:11:09 pm »

Depends how you define dangerous :}

I stepped out of the front door of my house but always made it back home !!

Or Accidentally  :police: shooting out the passanger window of an unoccupied car with a Steel BB rifle in Tuscon.. Not so dangerous at first for me but was when My dad got hold of me. :-))  
And In my defence I would like to say that I was aiming at a cardboard target on a corrugated bin, bullet went through the card hit the bin ricocheted and hit formentioned window..melawd  8)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2012, 03:03:42 pm »

When I was 7 going on 8 it was about 1945, the war was over and the school I went to was close to a goods yard and railway sidings and repair area. They must have stretched for nearly a mile.
There had been anti aircraft guns there and also ammunition was loaded and unloaded.  It was easy to get in and finding trophies was the thing.

The Police would regularly come along to the school and do a "search".  This usually involved them leaving with hand grenades, ammunition, .303 bullets and 20mm(?) cannon shells.  Personally I, thankfully, was "chicken".

Nobody I knew was daft enough to try and explode anything but there was a case in the local paper of a .303 bullet being clamped in a vice and hit with a hammer until it exploded. I assume it was reported on the hospital accident report afterwards.

Later in life I learned to shoot rifle and was good at it but I never liked it.

regards Roy

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2012, 03:18:18 pm »

At about twelve a guy encouraged me to have a go with his shotgun
as a result a Seagull got winged - this meant I then had to finish the job manually.
I've never shot at anything since - it isn't that I'm anti gun sport, but I don't want to see
something drop out of the sky forever that was so beautiful a few seconds before.

Dave

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2012, 03:41:29 pm »

:-)) totally agree.
Roy

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2012, 03:52:18 pm »

I have enjoyed shooting as a sport since I was a youth and was taught that if you were going to shoot an animal it had better be because you wanted it for food.  I always remember a acquaintance who was caught killing crows, his father made him clean and pluck them. His mom cooked them and while the rest of his family had Ham for supper he had to literally eat crow.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2012, 06:17:29 pm »

Its just as well it was,nt Rooks that he,d shot,..they are only edible at a certain time of the year, ....when they are called Branchers,i.e.fledglings that can,t fly,after they have flown and eaten their first meal they become in-edible,

Blazer

• Shipmate
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2012, 08:20:27 pm »

A friend and I used to climb upon freight trains waiting to continue their trip in front of a signal.
As they startet and speed up the first one to jump of the train was the looser.
Regards Stephan

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2012, 09:42:30 pm »

Roy and the ammo - during the war, the park where I now sail was fitted with an anti-aircraft battery to discourage the Luftwaffe from either bombing Preston dock or mining the Ribble estuary.  According to the Friends of Fairhaven (the park and lake) archivist, a (then) schoolboy "explored" the site, "found" an AA shell and decided to explore its possibilities.  This consisted of walloping it with something solid.  It seems they never found all the bits.
Stavros - I can but take off my hat for your mountain bike exploits.  My nearest was on the Trough of Bowland - nowhere near as big a descent, and a real road, but when one of the rear brake blocks decided to part company near the top, it was pure adrenaline from then on.  Especially when I noted an early Mini in front of me, also going downhill.  As I had a good view of his speedo coming up (down?) behind him, I figured that I had broken the 48mph barrier just before I passed him.  No way was I going to try using just the front brake at that speed.  I freewheeled on to the next T junction, about a mile and a half.  Why do we think we are immortal when we are 15?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2012, 02:11:08 am »

As Wullie said, only the young birds are tasty http://www.wartimehousewife.com/2010/04/dont-rook-now/
Is it really true you can bake a hedgehog, wrapped in clay, under a camp fire?

Dave

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2012, 10:14:54 am »

Baking Hedgehogs!, yes its true Dave,my late father came here,as a POW,in 1946,and i can remember as a child,him, covering a hog with wet clay, putting it in a hole in the ground on top of burning wood embers ,then loading more red hot embers on top, after a while he removed the now hard ball of clay, and on splitting it open, the hedghog was cooked to perfection,the spikes were stuck to the clay revealing the cooked meat underneath,what it tasted like,I don,t know, as he was the only one who ate it, as me and my mum, were in shock,

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2012, 06:17:17 pm »

As Wullie said, only the young birds are tasty http://www.wartimehousewife.com/2010/04/dont-rook-now/
Is it really true you can bake a hedgehog, wrapped in clay, under a camp fire?

Dave
I don't know about hedgehogs, but we do have porcupine over here, but it is considered "bad form" to kill them. They are one of the few animals in the bush that some one lost could kill and eat. I have had partridge that was clay baked in a campfire and it sure beat the store bought chicken that we had brought with us. One of my cousins used to regularly serve fried frogs legs and no they didn't taste like chicken.
Regards,
Gerald.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.