Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Dangerous thing did you do as a Child  (Read 17787 times)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
Re: What Dangerous thing did you do as a Child
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2012, 06:40:52 am »

Putting a shotgun shell in the fire to see what would happen, need I say more. Putting .22 bullets in envelopes & hitting them with a hammer, not much left of the envelope & have lived to tell the tale. Last but not least, putting unslaked lime in HP sauce bottles & adding water, putting the cork on fast & trowing it in the river to stun the trout, makes quite a bang & must be thrown very fast if you don't want to loose your hand. Mick B.
Mick B.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2012, 08:17:33 am »

My Father was a keen wildfowler, and as a lad I would often accompany him on his trips out to secure Sunday lunch (goose, duck, pheasant, whatever he saw he shot and we ate) At the tender age of nine I was shown how to shoot with his 12 bore ("no sense mucking about with a toy gun, boy...you won't hit nothing with that")

Suffice it to say that on my first attempt, and being excited at being allowed to use Father's gun, I pulled both triggers at once.

I remember going past him at a rate of knots, airborne and upside down, still clinging on to his prized shotgun. I gave up shooting after that...
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2012, 08:22:21 am »

I remember going past him at a rate of knots, airborne and upside down, still clinging on to his prized shotgun. I gave up shooting after that...

{-) {-) {-) {-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2012, 08:23:20 am »

There is another tale of one of Father's wildfowling exploits, involving a ME109 and a rather irritated German pilot...but I wasn't there then, wasn't even born.
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2012, 11:40:44 am »

"Don't give your name Pike!"
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2012, 03:57:55 pm »

Putting a shotgun shell in the fire to see what would happen, need I say more. Putting .22 bullets in envelopes & hitting them with a hammer, not much left of the envelope & have lived to tell the tale. Last but not least, putting unslaked lime in HP sauce bottles & adding water, putting the cork on fast & trowing it in the river to stun the trout, makes quite a bang & must be thrown very fast if you don't want to loose your hand. Mick B.
Mick are you related to "Mick Dundee"? We used to do similar but we called the lime "Quick Lime", we used preserving/canning jars, you put the lime in the jar with some rocks poked some holes in the lid slid it over board and rowed or paddled like crazy.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2012, 09:09:44 pm »

When I was a kid living near Halifax in the 60's we used to go down to a fairly isolated shoreline and play with piles of cordite that had washed up from what I assume a wartime wreck.
We learned from the bigger kids that it burned really well. No injuries that I remember but it probably wouldn't be the same these days.  :-)
We also had the real lawn darts and the first thing someone did was throw them as high as they good straight up.
Brian

splasher 1

• Shipmate
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2012, 12:52:28 am »

Walking round the rim of a hot tar pot you know the sort, fire at the bottom and iron wheels about 4 feet high and slipping in up to my neck i must have looked a bit like Frank Spencer i know my Nan had a hell of a job cleaning me up not to mention her front room carpet. The more my grandad paddled me the more the black stuff went round the room,the wall paper, the furniture,the curtains .need i go on but on reflection i could have drowned in that thing.!!!  splasher 1 {:-{

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2012, 08:33:40 am »

Gerald it was grandfather that showed me how to do it, we also used Brillcream jars because the glass was thick & it built up more pressure before it exploded. My Grandfather was the consumate poacher, he knew every trick in the book & a good few that were not there too. He even knew how to snare pheasant. Rabbits & Hares were a breeze for him. The question of it being legal or non legal made no difference to him, it all tasted good when cooked. From all that training I still have a slight bit of larceny in my soul, he lived to be 94 too. I am sure there was a big recovery in wildlife in our neighbourhood after he was gone.R.I.P. Mick B.
Mick B.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2012, 09:58:11 am »

I aquired a copy of the Anarchists cookbook in my early teens.... Ill say no more other than it's pure luck I still have all my fingers, eyes etc  :o
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.