Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Suitable ESC for 850 Motor?  (Read 11693 times)

loinerlad

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
Suitable ESC for 850 Motor?
« on: June 16, 2012, 02:00:04 pm »

Hi, I have Just acquired a new model with a Torpedo 850 Motor fitted, running off a 12V Lead Acid Battery. It has a mechanical speed controller fitted which I am not keen on due to past experiences  >:-o
I am wanting to buy a suitable esc for this model, Can anybody advise me on a good one with suitable amp. I was looking at some 50a ones but would this single motor really need this? they also tend to be quite pricey and was wanting to keep the cost down really.

Chris

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Suitable ESC for 850 Motor?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 03:41:02 pm »

A 20 amp one should be sufficient.
These motors will easily pull 11 amps, but it will depend on the size of prop.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

ACTion

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 04:13:10 pm »

I have seen reputable ESCs rated at 25A+ burned out by these motors - don't believe that 11A maximum that MFA-Como claim. This one will do the job but I'm afraid that we don't do cheap http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/P98.pdf.
Dave M

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 04:16:02 pm »

I believe the speed in these things is electronically controlled, this of course being the best place for the 850 motor.

loinerlad

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 04:43:19 pm »

Thanks for your replies! how much is the action one you gave me the link for? I have looked but cant see a price?

Chris

loinerlad

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 04:45:33 pm »

Oops my mistake! I have seen the price now! erm yes Dave I see what you mean about not being cheap! will this do the Job you reckon?

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 05:37:26 pm »

As I said it depends on the prop, you could always check what the motor pulls by adding a fuse in the circuit and starting at a 20 amp see if it blows.
I have used these motors on fairly small props on a 15 amp ESC and a 10 amp fuse, still going strong after 10 yrs.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

ACTion

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 05:57:32 pm »

Oops my mistake! I have seen the price now! erm yes Dave I see what you mean about not being cheap! will this do the Job you reckon?
Guaranteed. We've run them up to 35A and 32v and they barely get warm. Even Steamboat Phil can't blow one of these up................ 8)
Dave M

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 06:31:51 pm »

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 06:39:50 pm »

When a complete newbie I was recommended/sold a blue chinese esc by a local model shop  -  so it's not just an internet thing.
Fortunately I approached a proper boat modeller (about a problem I was having with a servo) and he warned me about the esc I had.
As he said 'all that work you'll put in to build / refurbish the boat and then you willingly put a match to it'.

Shouldn't it be a trading standards issue? Goods not fit for purpose / not as desribed / dangerous to children.

Dave
Retailers who sell them over the counter are liable to the provisions of the sale of goods act.  Foreign e-bay sellers are not.  Anybody selling these items in the UK carries the responsibility - if they carry a CE label, their performance should be what the label says, but there is always the possibility that the wrong CE label has been applied by intent or otherwise, or a certification for something totally irrelevant.  Trading standards can chase this sort of thing around as regards UK traders, but they have no jurisdiction over foreign manufacturers.  Private importers who are attracted by low prices and high specs of devices by unknown makers are, basically, on their own.
It is a fact that most semiconductors have several sets of figures, for current carrying there is a continuous figure, and a corresponding one for absolute maximum instantaneous current.  I suspect that a lot of Oriental marketing departments prefer the latter, because they can put much bigger numbers on, and the unlucky of their customers are thousands of miles away.

btw, what is the difference between English amps and Chinese ones?
Chinese amps are small, delicate things having been fed a diet of boiled rice, noodles and salad.  English ones are large, bulky things having been brought up on meat pies and chips and need much thicker wires to get where they are going.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

CJ

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 07:56:29 pm »

Chris,

I upgraded my old mechanical using the Tornado ESC Richard recommended. Funny enough my local model shop (really helpful guys)

I am also running the Torpedo 850 with a 12v 12Ahr battery with an in line 40 Amp fuse and she runs fine.  :-))

CJ
"Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness"

loinerlad

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 08:11:24 pm »

Thanks CJ a few people have told me that the Tornado ESC is the best option, apparently you can just plug and play too! no complicated setting up. There is one of these on ebay for £27.99. Thanks for all your posts guys but I think I am going to buy this esc and see how it goes.

Chris

CJ

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 08:27:39 pm »

Yeah it is just plug and play so nice and easy  :}

All the best Chris and hope it works out OK

CJ
"Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness"

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 09:44:30 pm »

Personally I would throw the MFA 850 into the nearest bin and buy a decent motor and a proper esc.

WHY spend so much on a model and so little on PROPER ELECTRICS

I'LL put it ANOTHER way would you go out and spend 1k on a TV ad sit it on a pile of bricks......................................DONT THINK SO

Dave

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 09:54:15 pm »

I don't know why some have such a downer on 850's, if you accept their limitations they are a useful large can motor.
Not particularly efficient but do have their place.
The only other substitute apart from brushless is the 900 motor but even this motor requires a higher voltage to give the 9000 rpm of the 850.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 09:57:47 pm »

I have two MFA 850,s in two models, great motor if used with the right model/prop/esc...

Russ

loinerlad

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 10:13:09 pm »

I agree Russ, I am happy with the motor and wont be throwing it into the nearest bin  :}

billa65t

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 11:08:54 pm »

Ive never had a problem with the 850 motors I've run 2 of them in my 50" Anchor handling vessel through a Action 25amp mixer unit for the past 4 years without any problem
Depends what boat you are using them in and what props you are using ? I've also run one of my tugs on 800 motors again with Action speed controllers and not had a problem.
I personally don't think there is a problem with these motors just with people trying to do things on the cheap with dodgy Japanese speed controllers
Action speed controllers might not be the cheapest but they do what they say and if there is a problem then Dave is always there to fix the problem

Regards
Bill :-))  :}

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 09:27:47 am »

I have all ACTion electronics & I consider them brilliant in design & service. Buying cheap is just a race to the bottom. You can read the threads on here of the trouble people have had with some of the so called high amp units from China. You can buy the best that is available local & get the BEST service as well. I have no attachment to ACTion except as a happy customer. He (Dave)is also one of our forum sponsor's for good measure. If you shop by price alone you have already lost ,now it is only a matter of how much.My mind boggles sometimes @ the affinity we seem to have for Chinese junk because it is cheap, never mind the quality,it seems that quality is not a factor to some people.I know there is also other British electronics for our boats that are of a very high standard.  Mick B.
Mick B.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 01:58:57 pm »

Just as a matter of interest, what brushless motor would you use in place of an 850? In a fast planing hull.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Gopher

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 03:57:26 pm »

Hello there, did you fit the tornado esc to your 850 motor, if so how is it performing, the reason for my question, I have just got a torpedo 850 and looking for a suitable esc, it will be going in a 42" tug with a 60mm 4 blade prop on the end

Stavros

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 06:14:40 pm »

Gopher dont do it it wont take it....it will run HOT HOT HOT Prop far to big for it Go 900 motor and that will run your prop

Dave

Gopher

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 07:15:37 pm »

Extremely curious now, my other tug again 42" is running spot on with a MFA Marlin and a traxxas XL1 it has a 3 blade brass prop about 60mm In diameter

Gopher

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 07:18:32 pm »

What will run hot, the motor or the esc?

Stavros

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 10:30:24 pm »

The Marlin Motor is a 800 and runs at 5000rppm the 850 runns at 9000 if memory serves me right,it will be the Motor that will defo run HOT.
I used to run a perkassa onn a 850 on a 55mm 2 blade prop and after 5 mins running time is got rather Hot so it had to be water cooled with a pump to keep it cool

Dave
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.