Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying the best you can afford.  (Read 15915 times)

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Buying the best you can afford.
« on: June 16, 2012, 07:28:03 pm »

There seems to be an awful lot of posts on here lately about the truly abysmal Chinese ESC's, that go pop as soon as they see a battery. When I was quite young, I was told I should always buy the best I can afford, and it's always baffled me as to why people spend stupid amounts of money on a boat kit, paint, tools etc only to fit it with the cheapest and naffest electronically gear they can find.

I present another example other than speed controllers. These three Savöx servos pictured are going in my 15cc Outrigger Hydro, which should be capable of between 80 and a hundred miles an hour. I could quite easily have bought the Hobbyking rip off servos for the best part of $30 for three, but seeing as I don't want to rip someones head off when the gears strip and the electronics pack up, I've spent a considerable amount of money on servos that actually work reliably.

I would have thought that by now, people would be using a little common sense, actually taking note of past threads and buying the best they can afford to. People will be aware of my affiliation to ACTion Electronics, Dave is a good mate, but when I come on here and see that people are complaining about his prices it really does annoy me. His prices are factored by one thing and one thing alone, the quality of his products.

Just some food for thought....

Andy :-)

Stavros

Re: Buying the best you can afford.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 09:41:18 pm »

Cant agree with you more Andy,I see more and more of the chineese esc's burning up and also another company which starts in M amd ends in S and these seem more prone to it.
One of the Main esc burners is the Famous  MFA 850 WOW what a AMP hungry motor it is I have seen in excess of 30 amps being pulled by one of theses and the manufacteres claim 12 PAH !!!!!

As you said WHY does everyone spend megga buks on a model and cut corners on electrics.

Dave

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 10:00:36 pm »

The hint is in "best you can afford". That then makes it a subjective judgement rather than a pure objective judgement.
I like to try lots of different equipment some expensive, some not.
This gives a good grounding of what is good and bad for the money.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 10:10:15 pm »

Unfortunately with brushless speed controllers there is not a lot of options out there other than the Chinese...

Russ

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 10:22:59 pm »

Jeti, Axi, Graupner, Robbe, Novak?

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 10:53:13 pm »

Andy. Thanks for the list. Yes they are brand names,but i believe that at least two of those brands source from china anyway. Having said that you would get a warrenty. John.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 11:00:20 pm »

They're all made in China, everything these days is. However they're designed in other countries :-))

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 11:40:04 pm »

They're all made in China, everything these days is. However they're designed in other countries :-))

The problems as I see it are these,

1. Price used to be a criteria for quality example Rolls Royce V Ford, today even Rolls Royce's go bung.

2. Trade names Futaba, et all, now count for nought because as stated all made in China.

3. Chinese manufacture is not the probelm, it is the lack of quality control and testing. A long time ago manufactures tested and inspected their product prior to shipping. Nowadays the consumer is the inspector/tester.

4. European design is immaterial as item 3 then kicks in and applicable

5.Having said all that there are still a handful of manufacturers who exercise good quality control/testing and warrent their product. It makes good sense to deal with them if you can afford it.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 01:26:33 am »

Somebody made a good post last year describing how a European firm sources a product in China to proper specs and quality control.
Then what happens later to copies and offsprings where specs and quality mean little. So it isn't that the Chinese can't make a good
product- it's just the shenanigans of piracy.

Dave

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 01:28:31 am »

"The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweet taste of cheap price is forgotten." O0

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 01:53:42 am »

And if you want really good brushless speed controllers you buy http://www.castlecreations.com/products/hydra_ice.html or http://www.castlecreations.com/products/hydra_hv_line.html  the only one's ill now use.

peter

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 07:49:07 am »

Knew there was one I was forgetting, yes Castle. Also Scorpion, and while wholly a Chinese company, Etti.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 01:21:15 pm »

What would be interesting to many lads is a discussion somewhere of the middle ground.
A thread centred only on those products that are certainly serviceable but are also moderately priced.

I think a lot of lads will have builds in mind that they want the best for - but those same lads will also
have little projects in mind that simply don't justify a lot of expense.

I have sense enough now to realise I need prior advice on buying parts - left to my own devices
I'll usually get the wrong thing and then still have to buy the right item later. doh!!!

Dave

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 01:34:28 pm »

Turnigy Nanotech Li-Po's, Turnigy SP brushless motors, Turnigy Sentry Esc's. GO! engines. Spektrum radio gear. Futaba S3003 or Cirrus servos for light scale work.

All comparatively cheap, but great performers :-))

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 01:58:46 pm »

As my dad says "I'm too poor to buy cheap"
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 03:13:41 pm »

I am starting an unusual 4 to 8 month build that has already taken a lot of research.  On previous builds I have probably spent more on the internals than the rest of the model, and have not regretted it.  Spread over a long build period the cost of each item makes less of a dent.  You could make the build easier by just painting shapes for wheelhouse windows instead of cutting them out, but IMO if you want to be proud of the model and have it working properly so the same applies to the running gear and electrics.

Good quality prop shafts with bearings and seals.  Source the ideal motors for the job.  Reliable ESC’s / mixer, I have just bought my 3rd P94.  Solid reliable servos and batteries.  Most important is wining, large section wires with very solid connections, decent switches etc, because with quality equipment your wiring design will be the biggest factor in reliability.

Buy from well recommended UK/European suppliers.  Mayhem has been an excellent guide to help me
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 04:02:20 pm »

I myself am a budget builder and in most cases cannot afford most of the esc's listed here in this topic. If i could afford an Action esc i would buy one. Quality esc's can go up to and beyond 50 pounds and quite frankly for that kind of money i can build an entire boat. I allways find that the esc in brushed motor applications is often the most expensive single item of my builds and i try to stick to a budget of £10 for them. But instead of buying dodgy orientals esc's I have found that buying quality USED ones from *bay I can still build within my budget. In fact all my brushed boats have car esc's. The down side is they have brakes on them which cant be turned off more often than not and only work up to 8.4v but id rather have those small issues than blue smoke. For boats that need a bit more boot i go brushless and use seaking ones which i have found so far satisfactory.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 10:12:42 pm »

I myself am a budget builder and in most cases cannot afford most of the esc's listed here in this topic. If i could afford an Action esc i would buy one. Quality esc's can go up to and beyond 50 pounds and quite frankly for that kind of money i can build an entire boat. I allways find that the esc in brushed motor applications is often the most expensive single item of my builds and i try to stick to a budget of £10 for them. But instead of buying dodgy orientals esc's I have found that buying quality USED ones from *bay I can still build within my budget. In fact all my brushed boats have car esc's. The down side is they have brakes on them which cant be turned off more often than not and only work up to 8.4v but id rather have those small issues than blue smoke. For boats that need a bit more boot i go brushless and use seaking ones which i have found so far satisfactory.

:-)) :-)) :-))

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 10:29:10 pm »

Why not just make up a board with ESC and receiver on and swop between models.
When you have the board it is fairly simple to build around it to fit many models, then you only need a spare board to check on the original for any faults.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 10:44:48 pm »

Someone I've seen does exactly that using a DSUB connector.... :-))

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 10:49:50 pm »

I do sometimes, though i usually keep the receivers in the boat so dont need to move them aswell. I just select which boats im taking to the lake and swap the esc's out the boats im leaving behind.  :-))

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 07:21:46 am »

Speaking of buying things, why don't more people buy a (good quality) multimeter so they don't need to have someone else sort out their electronics for them? 
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 07:59:29 am »

Speaking of buying things, why don't more people buy a (good quality) multimeter so they don't need to have someone else sort out their electronics for them? 

Because they do not understand Electronics and therefore cannot, nor know how, to use a multimeter and all its settings.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 10:22:47 am »

I bought a cheap Maplin's one to try - it came with very neglible instructions.
Defeats me what setting I should use for which job (doh, and three holes for two pins?).
I first wanted to know how to test which was the positive side of a DC circuit coming of a sealed charger.
I got advice from a Mayhemmer and did that job ok but it made me realise I do need more than just the tool in the box.
................... and to be honest lads sometimes I'm not the sharpest tool in the box either %% {-)

Dave

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 10:37:41 am »

I bought a cheap Maplin's one to try - it came with very neglible instructions.
Defeats me what setting I should use for which job (doh, and three holes for two pins?).
I first wanted to know how to test which was the positive side of a DC circuit coming of a sealed charger.
I got advice from a Mayhemmer and did that job ok but it made me realise I do need more than just the tool in the box.
................... and to be honest lads sometimes I'm not the sharpest tool in the box either %% {-)

Dave

Dave,

Well said.

Not much point in having expensive equipment/tools if you can't use them. O0 O0 <:( <:(
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.