Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ascent of Snowdon  (Read 1944 times)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
Ascent of Snowdon
« on: June 20, 2012, 06:42:47 pm »

Well after 40 years plus living within spittin' distance of the mighty mountain, the wife decided it was time for us to get to the top. Monday was the day, lots of planning to do as I have a morbid fear of being rescued alongside my other morbid fear of heights. Weather forecast was excellent so no way could I put any trust in that. Plan for arctic temps, fog, blizzard and a night on the mountain. Need to carry lots of layers of wool, good, broken in boots (well the gardening ones will have to do), wind and waterproof top cover, woolly hats, two fully charged I phones + spare Magellan GPS, a load of carbs and chocolate, a torch, a whistle and a space blanket. Left word of our E T Return and away we went. We really surprised ourselves, it wasn't half as hard as I expected,made good time and felt OK for the most part. In fact the only really tough bit was the last 10-15 meters from the train to the actual summit, really got the heart pumping that bit! :-))  The views were spectacular and I would advise any doubters to give it a go. If I was going to do it again I would cut down a bit on the clothing cos those little train carriages are quite cramped and very stuffy. On the way up the wife commented that the path didn't look as bad as I had told her and that she thought that we should walk up next time.  I pointed out to her that the walkers where not leaning forward into the wind but actually climbing a very steep path (there was no wind) and they were not actually waving at the train they where calling for HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP. 

Jerry

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ascent of Snowdon
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 08:24:57 pm »

Well done Jerry! It's amazing how long you can live near things without visiting, isn't it?

boatman 101

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 08:43:47 pm »

COR BLIMEY you had me goin there for a minute thinkin you was goin to walk up as takein all that gear very good wind up that was  :} :} >>:-(
chris

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:47:38 pm »

It's the age old paradox, when you've found your personal paradise, where do you go on holiday? I'm lucky though, although I've spent most of my life here, I still can look and be in awe of its magnificence. When one stops it's time to shuffle off etc etc. You must feel the same about the lakes. And I'm sorry, I really did take all that gear. "xxxxx", but safe. When you take a tug across the Pacific, you just gotta do it right!
Jerry.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 12:25:02 am »

On 3 visits to the UK I have been up Snowdon twice, by train, and each time we only got about 2/3rds of the way up as there was work on the line >>:-(  On both occasions the weather was magnificent, but I have still not been to the top, and probably never will now <:( However, we thoroughly enjoyed the trips and the spectacular scenery,

Peter.

boatman 101

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 08:17:27 am »

HI Jerry i was just wondering as ive never been to wales is there any nice hotels or premier inn's not to far off snowden ? or is it a very hilly region an you say the train takes you nearly to the top how much is the fare ? as i must admit i have always wanted to go to see snowden but never got got round to it as im from the flat lands of norfolk
chris

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 08:44:15 am »

Chris, compared to say Scotland or the lake district Snowdonia is quite small. However it contains some of the most beautiful  and magnificent scenery you could hope for. There are Premier Inns in both Bangor and Caernarfon which are quite close to Snowdon. You get the Snowdon Mountain Railway at Llanberis right at the head of Llyn Padarn, the lake I sail my boats on. The fare is £25 return or £19 for the 0900 Early Bird. You get 30 minutes at the top. It is a very popular trip so you should book before you drive all the way from Norfolk but it will seem twice as high to you. Round trip takes 2  1/2 hours. What I said about clothing was not a joke. Many people get into difficulties on the mountain and a lot of them die I'm afraid, from ignorance or bravado.  It can change from a warm summers day to a freezing hell in moments. I'm not trying to put you off but do look it up before you go. It's well worth it though.
Jerry.

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 02:16:52 pm »

I am reminded of our first visit in 1975. We parked the car (opposite side to the train) and walked to the top - the idea being for Anne to get the train down with the rucksack and 3 year old. We said our goodbyes and I set off with the eldest two (10 & 7) to get the car and meet her at Llanberis. Fortunately I heard her shout just before we got out of earshot - you can't buy a one-way ticket down! "Seats are reserved for the return passengers - you might be lucky on the last train."  O0

We've often wondered what would have happened if I'd got to Llanberis and she wasn't there. Next time we went up and down on the train!

Mike

boatman 101

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 05:16:57 pm »

Chris, compared to say Scotland or the lake district Snowdonia is quite small. However it contains some of the most beautiful  and magnificent scenery you could hope for. There are Premier Inns in both Bangor and Caernarfon which are quite close to Snowdon. You get the Snowdon Mountain Railway at Llanberis right at the head of Llyn Padarn, the lake I sail my boats on. The fare is £25 return or £19 for the 0900 Early Bird. You get 30 minutes at the top. It is a very popular trip so you should book before you drive all the way from Norfolk but it will seem twice as high to you. Round trip takes 2  1/2 hours. What I said about clothing was not a joke. Many people get into difficulties on the mountain and a lot of them die I'm afraid, from ignorance or bravado.  It can change from a warm summers day to a freezing hell in moments. I'm not trying to put you off but do look it up before you go. It's well worth it though.
Jerry.

HI AGAIN Jerry another thing id like to ask is the railway very bumpy as i have a bit of back trouble ? an thanks for your answer
chris

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 05:53:55 pm »

Wouldn't say its bumpy but it does have a peculiar motion due to the rack and pinion drive mechanism.  I was too worried about falling over the edge to worry about the bumps.

Jerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.