Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: kit build conversion?  (Read 3682 times)

tsparks

• Shipmate
    • Sparks Studios
kit build conversion?
« on: May 08, 2006, 01:45:13 pm »

When does a kit build become NOT a kit build? If I wanted to take a sailboat to a model show, and it started out as a kit build but was then heavily modified, at what point or percentage change does it stop being a kit build? And if it's not kit or scratch built, what do you classify it as? I know the standard answer would be to ask the shows' producers what their particular rules are, but I want to know what the builders in the trenches think the definitions are.

Taylor

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
Re: kit build conversion?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 02:09:34 pm »

It it was built from a kit, no matter how heavily modified, it's kit built. Just my opinion, others may differ.

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
Re: kit build conversion?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 02:16:11 pm »

I think that maninthestreet is more or less right. From what I've seen recently, things are becoming a bit more tolerant though, at one time some judges used to insist that all the main components had to be home-made before it escaped the 'kit' or 'semi-kit' definition, but that seems to be changing gradually. I'd say that judges at most shows these days would draw the line at a hull you hadn't made yourself, which means that if the hull isn't all your own work, then they wouldn't allow it as a scratch build. The inevitable result of this though, is that scratch build classes often tend to be a bit short of entries.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.