Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hitec ESC  (Read 5036 times)

kendalboatsman

Hitec ESC
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:14:45 pm »

Hello,

Has anyone used any of the Hitec electronic speed controls? I have got a new 6/10A one I have had for a while. Is it powerful enough to use with a 545 motor and 38mm 3 bladed prop in a Springer tug?

Thanks in advance,
Clive  :)

Miss Sinbad

Re: Hitec ESC
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 08:50:36 pm »

Please pardon my ignorance, but just as a matter of interest, when you purchesd your ESC, did not Hitec include a simple instruction sheet, or at the very least the basic minimum/maximum voltage and amperage specifications?

Poor show on Hitec's part.

Not unless...........

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 11:12:18 pm »

it should work, though try a 15A.  the springer for the mayem bash?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Mike_K

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 01:41:56 am »

Clive--  I've had 3 over the years.  The last one burned up reverse while being used to operated the pump on my submarine.  They are nice in that they will slow right down and just tick over the prop.  Just be certain to keep the amp draw down below the 6 to 10amp rating.  It does not have a BEC so you'll need the rx battery.  Nice little unit for the money.  Just be sure to baby it a little.

Mike K

kendalboatsman

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 07:13:43 am »

Please pardon my ignorance, but just as a matter of interest, when you purchesd your ESC, did not Hitec include a simple instruction sheet, or at the very least the basic minimum/maximum voltage and amperage specifications?

Poor show on Hitec's part.

Not unless...........
Hello Miss Sinbad,

Yes I have still got the instructions and yes there is a tech spec section so I know the run current is 6A and the max is 10A, but it doesn't tell me what the current draw on a 545 class motor is. I tried to use Google to find out such information but no joy. So I posted the question in the hope that the less sarcastic of the forum members might happen to have that information.

Thankfully some members are able to help and I now know the Hitec speed controls are delicate little things so I will fit my Fleetmaster ESC instead and save the Hitec speedo for something smaller powered.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 09:53:40 pm »

I have had cause to look at several HiTec controllers (the "gold brick" ones.  I never saw one with a dud output transistor - the usual problem was that the resistor supplying bias current to said transistors, and the circuit board underneath it, had gone black and messy.  Looking at the spec for the transistors, they needed a heck of a lot of power to be switched fully on.  This meant that the resistor was dissipating as much power as it was designed for (1 watt if memory is right).  Running them on 6 vollts was no problem, but an extended run at full power on the rated max voltage would cause the unit to get hot.  Exceeding that voltage would rapidly cook it.

The 545 should not be a problem, especially if running on 7.2 volts, even more so with the size of prop called for with the Springer.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 10:17:47 pm »

545?? Which sort of 545 is that, Malcolm? I have several 5-pole motors of that ilk in my workshop, ranging from a beautiful (24 volt?) version that would be hard-pressed to warm an output transistor at 7.2 Volts, to a snarling beast which runs at about 16,000 RPM no-load on 7.2 Volts and would cheerfully cook you as soon as look at you.
Please can you be more specific when you mention Mabuchi motors or their clones?
Clive - I'd go for the Fleet ESC if I were you, just to be on the safe side. It'll cost you nowt after all.
Suit yourself.
FLJ

Miss Sinbad

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 02:15:33 am »

Hello to you, too, Kendalboatsman.

Sarcasm? No, not at all. I was merely trying to ascertain the connection between your title of this thread and a possible answer for you.

But it transpires that what you really want to know is the current rating of a suitable motor to match the output rating of your ESC.
Entitling the thread 'Hitec ESC' led me to think the question was of one concerning a Hitec speed controller.  As you already have the specifications of said ESC, it might have been more prudent to ask if anyone could suggest a suitable motor, rather than just guessing on the '545 being a possible contender.
I have taken the liberty of searching the Web on your behalf. Google does indeed return many pages, all of which are relevent to your question. And even though I've got big t**s and a stupid face, it wasn't too difficult to find.

Like most everyone else, you probably find it easier to assume sarcasm, rather than assistance.

Sincerest regards.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 05:10:25 pm »

540 motor = 3 poles "500-size can"
545 motor = 5 poles "500-size can"

count your poles kendalboatsman.  if you have got a 5 pole motor then the hightec will p*** it!

kendalboatsman

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 05:55:52 pm »

Hi Ghost in the shell,

It is a 5 pole as I now buy those solely for my boats. Once made the mistake of fitting a 380 3 pole to a Matchbox HMS Bluebell, it was quicker than my beginners Fast Electric. ;D

I did list it as a 545 in my initial post, Using the wattage of an Electronize 545 I did my sums using Ohm's Law so the Hitec ESC stayed in. The fleet ESC is 32amp rated I think, so will use that with the Decaperm in the TID.

Thanks
Clive

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 06:13:37 pm »

I just go for low drain low rev.  In the Celestia model i have a 500E Graupner motor, Gemini has a vision 400, another sweet motor, and for the Yamato, 4 MFA385's

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 08:14:15 pm »

Why not try it but protect it with a slightly lower amp fuse?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 06:45:08 am »

Miss Sinbad banned.... again - Inappropriate personal comments.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.