Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings fellow model boat builders  (Read 2163 times)

modelboatbuilder

• Shipmate
Greetings fellow model boat builders
« on: June 22, 2012, 01:39:06 am »

I started building model abouts about 2 years ago, I'm retired and disabled and wanted something to keep my mind active.  Additionally, I write some, dabble in acrylic panting and draw faces almost every day. 

I'm not into RC, so what I build is always "static."  So far I've build a Carbelle Manor model from a set of plans, a houseboat with an interior of my own making, a fishing type boat with a detailed interior and pilot house and am currently working on a cruiser with a detailed interior, air boat of my own design and another cruiser style hull.

I've created my own "outboard motors", "stern drives," "propellers" and cabin furniture.   It's not all the best, but I've learned and that is all that matters to me.

I currently, as I've already said, building an airboat.  I've taken pictures from an airboat magazine and my memory of airboats my dad had to create the hull and components.  The stumbling block at this point is the propeller guard to go around the engine.  I've already fashioned a propeller, seats, instrument panel, rudder control and rudders.  I purchased some aluminum rods in hopes of fashioning the propeller guard from it, however, I'm getting conflicting information about "if" and "how" to solder the pieces together.  ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Hoping to connect with fellow boat builders and share what we are doing in this hobby.

Happy boat building to you (to the tune of "Happy Trails."

model boat builder

Guess that's enough for now!

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Greetings fellow model boat builders
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 02:20:48 am »

hi welcome to mayhem, nice boats you got there. :-)) I dont know much about soldering aluminium, Im not sure it can be done but dont take my word for it someone on here will know better than I do.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 02:37:45 am »

modelboatbuilder

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 08:20:09 am »

Hi, I've never done it but.....
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_possible_to_solder_aluminum

Dave

Thanks, I went to the link, but it didn't answer questions that I had not already answered.  Appreciate your support.

moelboatbuilder

modelboatbuilder

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 08:28:37 am »

hi welcome to mayhem, nice boats you got there. :-)) I dont know much about soldering aluminium, Im not sure it can be done but dont take my word for it someone on here will know better than I do.

Glad you enjoyed the pics.  I have a thing about detail, still  in the learning curve for hull construction and building technique.  I'll post some more pics later.

modelboatbuilder

davidjt

• Full Mayhemer
  • north wales coast
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 09:04:13 am »

hi,

personally i would get some brass rod and solder them, a lot easeyer than aliminium.
i built mine that way. :-))

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 10:16:20 am »

There's is a flux specially for Aluminium I think it's Carr's Gray Label.  Failing that have a look for "Alutite"  thats a soldering system that works with a light flame or hot-air.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

chingdevil

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 10:28:11 am »

If it is going to be a static model why not super glue or araldite to glue the auminium propellor guard? Saves a lot of time and hassle trying to solder it

Brian

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 12:10:06 pm »

Saves a lot of time and hassle trying to solder it
....... interesting question though - I wouldn't mind seeing it done - I'll look for a link to a vid later.

Dave

LarryW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 12:24:27 pm »

WELCOME........
                       Nice scratch builds ,  use copper wire pre stretched for prop guard , easy to solder and shape.......Larry...
never pass a skip
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.