Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preperation of the hull on Paramount Alpine Dutch Tug?  (Read 1569 times)

CERES

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
Preperation of the hull on Paramount Alpine Dutch Tug?
« on: June 22, 2012, 12:25:31 pm »

:-)
Hi,
Just completed the main build on the Billings Model and before proceeding any furthur I am looking for suggestions on preperation of the Hull for final painting.

There are quite a few "minnie" gaps which need to be filled in and some reshaping of the Hull sides.

I possess to tins of 'stuf' No.1 a Car body filler with hardener and No.2 A Ronseal would filler with Hardener and I assume that that the wood sealer is waterproof as is the car body filler.

Thank you for help on this as I am more used to working GRP Hulls.

Ceres.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Preperation of the hull on Paramount Alpine Dutch Tug?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 04:22:47 pm »

I tend to go the P38 Car body filler as it sands beautifully and blends into wood fine.  The waterproofing would come later with the paint.

regards

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 06:28:47 pm »

Personally I would use Top stop available from Halfrords this is a lightweight car body filler which in my opinion would be the right stuff for the job.This stuff believe you me is so so easy to sand down and gives a superb finish as well,As Ken has allready said sealing and waterproofing come later as the paint you will apply will waterproof the hull.One little top tip I personally would do seeing as it is a wooden hull is to seal the hull prior to applying the Red oxide antifouling,this I would do by applying a couple of coats of Halfords car Lacquer before applying the primer,this will seal the wood and will do a far superior job than sanding sealer.You can then apply your primer on top of this and then your final colour.

Dave

CERES

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:08:15 am »

:-))
Ken & Dave,
Many thasnks for that info. I will certainly take on board all that you have suggested.
Regards,

Ceres.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.