Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Class identification.  (Read 2469 times)

Scorcher

• Shipmate
Class identification.
« on: June 14, 2012, 08:09:01 pm »

I acquired a plank on frame hull of a pond yacht about 12 years ago which I am now going to try to reinstate. The name is Hilary Ann, built Worksop Notts. in 1947 and I believe it to be either an A Class or a 10 Rater. The dimensions are:- LOA 5' 5", Waterline 4' 4", Draught 10.5", Beam 12", Mast 5', M'sl area 766 sq", F'sl 374 sq".
I have three questions about this model:- Does anybody out there know anything about it? Which class is it likely to be? Can anyone advise me on a fairly hard primer and topcoat
for it which is not too expensive?
Regards to all,
Scorcher.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Class identification.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 08:23:21 pm »

Hi Scorcher and welcome to Mayhem.

I have  moved your post to the Yachts section where you will meet fellow enthusiasts who may help you.

Regards

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 09:03:21 pm »

We could do with a picture to identify the hull.

Paint for the hull

A lot depends really how you want to paint the hull as with everything n life there are various ways to do this

Option 1
Hand paint the whole hull with exterior paint first a primer then topcoat

Option 2
Halfords Aerosols,their primer filler is easy to use and you can get a good finish also,the top coats are designed for a car so will be durable in water

Option 3
B&Q sell a paint called Plasticoat I personally hate this with a vengeance as I don't rate it at all,dries far to slowly for my liking and and can catch the dust very easily,others will rave about it.

Option 4
Get is sprayed professionally at a bodyshop who will use 2 pack car paint,and you will get a finish to die for.

I don't know  how competent you are with painting but if you have your own compressor and spray gun you could allways get a ltr of 2 pack primer and top coat,YES i do know that I should not advocate you using it for health reasons BUT there are primers and topcoats available that are isocianate free.
It is a shame you are not closer otherwise I would offer to spray it for you as i am a professional painter.
If you want any info then Pm me and I will help if I can advise is FREE

Dave

Scorcher

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 09:16:04 pm »

Thanks to Stavros for response to my paint questions. Re my identification query, an article from 'Model Maker' of the 50's suggests it might be a 6 metre.

Scorcher.

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 09:22:28 am »

Sounds like a 6 metre to me as well, the 'A'class would have a longer mast about 6 to 7 feet can you put up a picture of the hull.

Scorcher

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 05:31:48 pm »

Thanks to all for replies. I hope I manage to post this picture as requested. I'm about as good with computers as I am at modelling!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.